Peterson's Murder Trial May Move From Will County

I think they should move it. He doesn't need any excuse for an appeal once he is convicted. JMO of course.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/drew.peterson.trial.2.1105631.html

Drew Peterson's murder trial could get moved out of Will County, as his attorney says he can't get a fair trial there.

Peterson's attorney, Joel Brodsky, told CBS 2 Tuesday night that media attention is jeopardizing his client's right to a fair trial.

I'd like to hear what county Brodsky thinks he CAN get a fair trial in then, after his and his "client's" shenanigans that they orchestrated themselves to gain attention.

They might be able to move it way downstate. Richard Speck was tried in Peoria. And there's a lot of Illinois further south than that.

But of course Mr Brodsky is blaming all the publicity on the SA's office and LE and is collecting examples. :rolleyes:

I hope the SA's office is also collecting examples...such as 'win a date with Mr Peterson'.

I do not care where they try him just as long as they do! And find him guilty!

But of course Mr Brodsky is blaming all the publicity on the SA's office and LE and is collecting examples. :rolleyes:

I hope the SA's office is also collecting examples...such as 'win a date with Mr Peterson'.

I do not care where they try him just as long as they do! And find him guilty!

I could see this trainwreck rolling down the track (to mess a metaphor) a long time ago. I think Brodsky is angling for a trial in a city like Decatur or Danville.

I think the judge will look at media for examples of the LE and state putting info out there. He will look at the internet postings and websites on the case. He will also look at interviews by the family. He will weigh that with the fact that a woman was missing and the need for media exposure to help in the search for her. Then he will also examine the local and national intervews given by DrewP and Brodsky. And the clowning that DrewP did on camera and radio. And the interview that DrewP gave from jail. The fact that Brodsky and DrewP hired a publicist (and the state didn't). And the book in which DrewP was interviewed extensively.

I think he will come to several conclusions. The defendant's case is well known both in the state and outside the state. There has been a mix of articles accusing and defending the defendant. The defendant seemed to enjoy and instigate the media attention. And there is no where the case could be taken to that didn't know at least something about the case. I think he will rule the case stays right where it is.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/1684352,4_1_JO25_PETERSON_S1-090725.article

The attorney, Joel Brodsky, claimed Country Mutual Insurance Company is responsible for covering Peterson's defense against a wrongful-death suit filed by the family of his slain third wife, Kathleen Savio, said Keith G. Carlson, a lawyer representing the insurance outfit.

Will the civil trial be held in Will County? Does anyone know if the wrongful death suit will be heard first?

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/1684352,4_1_JO25_PETERSON_S1-090725.article

The attorney, Joel Brodsky, claimed Country Mutual Insurance Company is responsible for covering Peterson's defense against a wrongful-death suit filed by the family of his slain third wife, Kathleen Savio, said Keith G. Carlson, a lawyer representing the insurance outfit.

Will the civil trial be held in Will County? Does anyone know if the wrongful death suit will be heard first?

Interesting! Unless SP had what is called an "umbrella policy," that dog won't hunt. Not all that many people buy that sort of policy: it's more for people that have a lot of assets that could be seized in case of a huge situation with enormous liabilities.

If the civil trial takes place, it might be in Bloomington (Maclean Co.), home of the insurer. Interesting question.

I'd like to hear what county Brodsky thinks he CAN get a fair trial in then, after his and his "client's" shenanigans that they orchestrated themselves to gain attention.

Most of the publicity surrounding this case has come from both DP and JB and their stunts for media attention. I hope the judge takes this into consideration when making a decision to move the trial.

This case made national headlines for months and there's no putting the genie back in the bottle after the genie's out. I don't see how moving the trial to another county in Illinois is going to insure DP getting a fair trial...........the publicity is national.

"extensive and inflammatory "

Those words from the news article above just about describe the media stunts pulled by Mr Brodsky's client. IMO So I guess Mr Brodsky has it right that there was such coverage.

Now the judge might have some questions or comments about just who 'caused' the media uproar.

It will be interesting to see if the judge agrees that the media coverage, regardless of who generated it, will now interfere with Mr Peterson's fair trial. I think the change will be granted.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/07/drew-peterson-asks-judge-to-move-trial.html

Joel Brodsky earlier had signaled his intention of doing either that or asking that jurors be selected from another county, arguing that widespread publicity would make it difficult for the former Bolingbrook police sergeant to get a fair trial.

Today's filing cites stories about Peterson that ran in the Chicago Tribune, CNN, Huffington Post and local television stations. Some of the stories detailing the order of protection Savio took out against Peterson and the letters she mailed out before her death exposed jurors to "highly significant information which may not be admissible at trial," the motion says.

Very interesting article which outlines more of Mr Brodsky's claims and comments from the SA office.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/1693432,Peterson-change-of-venue-JO073009.article

In his motion, Brodsky blamed the media for having "prejudiced the jury pool," and claimed the Internet search engine Google returned 2.95 million results for Drew Peterson.

"This is almost double the amount of results of a Google search for 'Rod Blagojevich,'" according to the motion.

Peterson and Blagojevich share more than millions of Google results. The disgraced former Bolingbrook cop and the disgraced former Illinois governor are represented by the same Florida-based publicist. Brodsky's law firm is also represented by the publicist.

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/1693956,073109peterson.article

"The state's attorney has adopted a very strict interpretation of the Supreme Court rules regarding pretrial publicity," Pelkie said. "We follow both the spirit and the letter of those rules. We release only information that the public has a right to know. We've taken every step possible to ensure that this office did not contribute to the media frenzy that surrounded this case."

do they really think it will matter where the trail is held? geez, like people don't have a brain and won't find it suspicous he has one ex dead and one wife "missing" and put two and two together.

Since this trial will be about the death of Kathleen, I wonder if the jury will ever hear about the fact that Stacy is missing. I believe the SA will only be allowed to bring forth evidence regarding Kathleen's death. Since Mr Peterson has not been charged for Stacy's death, I think nothing pertaining to Stacy will be allowed. Maybe someone with more legal knowledge can correct me if I have it wrong. :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back