Votes: 9 10.8%
  • No - 'the rice is cooked' and our grandchildren will be discussing the case

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • No because it's hard formally to pin a crime on a dead person

Votes: 20 24.1%

• Total voters

Sophie

Reaction score
I know this has been done before but it's always worth updating opinions, especially since the case is apparently being reviewed in Boulder.

I don't believe this crime will be solved..Cause at times I really think John Ramsey did kill JB..And as long everybody point the finger at Patsy Ramsey the real killer(s)as nothing to worry about..And if the R's lawyers have ties with the DA office then that is other block..

I don't believe this crime will be solved..Cause at times I really think John Ramsey did kill JB..And as long everybody point the finger at Patsy Ramsey the real killer(s)as nothing to worry about..And if the R's lawyers have ties with the DA office then that is other block..

You're right, Ravyn: if JDI, then the PDI faction is manna from heaven to him.

You're right, Ravyn: if JDI, then the PDI faction is manna from heaven to him.

would you consider the crime solved if JB unknown DNA were to match Amy's rapist (if they did do a rape exam on Amy)

would you consider the crime solved if JB unknown DNA were to match Amy's rapist (if they did do a rape exam on Amy)

Well, I can't believe that the Amy rapist DNA wasn't put on CODIS so it's highly hypothetical but:

1) If the rapist spoke excellent English and could have written the RN or at least had the education to duplicate pseudo-RN notes; and

2) Could be placed in Boulder that night

then there'd be a pretty strong case for saying the case was solved.

However, given that the RN indicates that the murderer knew the Ramseys, you'd have to look for the Amy rapist connection to the Ramseys then make sure you could eliminate the possibility of innocent transfer of the DNA. So formally saying you'd solved the case wouldn't be as simple as just matching the DNA.

I would believe this to be solved if the LE proved it..But look how long it's been so I'm doubtful it's Amy's rapist..

Well, I can't believe that the Amy rapist DNA wasn't put on CODIS so it's highly hypothetical but:

1) If the rapist spoke excellent English and could have written the RN or at least had the education to duplicate pseudo-RN notes; and

then there'd be a pretty strong case for saying the case was solved.

However, given that the RN indicates that the murderer knew the Ramseys, you'd have to look for the Amy rapist connection to the Ramseys then make sure you could eliminate the possibility of innocent transfer of the DNA. So formally saying you'd solved the case wouldn't be as simple as just matching the DNA.

I don't know if they recovered DNA from Amy that night, is it possible to learn more via FOIA request?

Uh, who says JBR's RN author speaks 'excellent' English? You've no idea how the RN author speaks anyway. The RN is written.

It seems to me that the RN composition is only average, and the spelling and handwriting are below average. Certainly not 'excellent'.

Uh, who says JBR's RN author speaks 'excellent' English? You've no idea how the RN author speaks anyway. The RN is written.

It seems to me that the RN composition is only average, and the spelling and handwriting are below average. Certainly not 'excellent'.

The RN is written but there is sufficient idiom to infer fluency. You are right, though, I couldn't say that the RN writer spoke with a Georgia drawl or even a Geordie twang...

I am not sure I can agree regarding the composition. There is the odd bit of almost poetic cadence (look at the 'If you talk to' sequence) points to an education plus the odd non-sequitur like (you aren't the only fat cat so don't think that killing will be hard) which suggests at least someone who could lose their grammar in a stretch. A quick look at the police interviews will show you a Patsy who can go from exquisite grammar to saying, 'I don't think they belonged in our neighbourhood or nothing.'

The RN is written but there is sufficient idiom to infer fluency. You are right, though, I couldn't say that the RN writer spoke with a Georgia drawl or even a Geordie twang...'

Certainly not 'excellent' fluency. Just fluency. And, you also couldn't say that the writer didn't speak with a Russian or a Latino accent. The quotes from action movies does suggest a shallowness, as if the writer needed to borrow material they knew would be understood.

I don't know if they recovered DNA from Amy that night, is it possible to learn more via FOIA request?

Dunno Voynich but since I'm in a state of enforced idleness, I'll make it Thursday's project to find out and get back to you.

Certainly not 'excellent' fluency. Just fluency. And, you also couldn't say that the writer didn't speak with a Russian or a Latino accent. The quotes from action movies does suggest a shallowness, as if the writer needed to borrow material they knew would be understood.

You know, HOTYH, I'm not so sure that you can't tell that the writer was highly fluent or that they weren't native Anglophones. Again, I am sorry to insert a personal example since I know they tend to be tedious but I do think it's apposite. I studied for a Maitrise in French law for two years at a French university and I had no choice other than to become pretty much fluent. Notwithstanding this, the examiners said that there were no obvious grammatical or spelling errors but that they just knew from the tone of my essays that I wasn't a native speaker. I honestly think the same can be said of the RN - I see no sign of the non-native speaker in the RN.

The RN is written but there is sufficient idiom to infer fluency. You are right, though, I couldn't say that the RN writer spoke with a Georgia drawl or even a Geordie twang...

I am not sure I can agree regarding the composition. There is the odd bit of almost poetic cadence (look at the 'If you talk to' sequence) points to an education plus the odd non-sequitur like (you aren't the only fat cat so don't think that killing will be hard) which suggests at least someone who could lose their grammar in a stretch. A quick look at the police interviews will show you a Patsy who can go from exquisite grammar to saying, 'I don't think they belonged in our neighbourhood or nothing.'

Hi Sophie.
"You are not the only fat cat around so don't think that killing will be difficult".
Ya ...... that is quite a string of words ... very American lingo IMO.

Can't even closely translate that from an original form in french to eng, cause it don't make sense, and does not comply to french grammatics or thought, it's in 'english thought'. IMO

You know, HOTYH, I'm not so sure that you can't tell that the writer was highly fluent or that they weren't native Anglophones. Again, I am sorry to insert a personal example since I know they tend to be tedious but I do think it's apposite. I studied for a Maitrise in French law for two years at a French university and I had no choice other than to become pretty much fluent. Notwithstanding this, the examiners said that there were no obvious grammatical or spelling errors but that they just knew from the tone of my essays that I wasn't a native speaker. I honestly think the same can be said of the RN - I see no sign of the non-native speaker in the RN.

Whats a non-native? Non-American?

I suppose what you're saying is that you see no sign of anything but US-English. Presumably you're basing this on the grammar or the expressions.

Oddly, there are many RN expressions that are pushing the outer limits of the US-English vernacular. 'bring an adequate size attache to the bank,' 'you're not the only fat cat,' and 'Victory!' as closing salutation are sticking out like a sore thumb in US-English. Strikes me as a more formal English, as Britian-English. This type of English is taught in Europe, India, and the far east.

Whats a non-native? Non-American?

I suppose what you're saying is that you see no sign of anything but US-English. Presumably you're basing this on the grammar or the expressions.

Oddly, there are many RN expressions that are pushing the outer limits of the US-English vernacular. 'bring an adequate size attache to the bank,' 'you're not the only fat cat,' and 'Victory!' as closing salutation is sticking out like a sore thumb in US-English. Strikes me as more formal English, as Britian-English. This type of English is taught in Europe, India, and the far east.

Thing is, you lot speak much better formal English than we do: just ask Rupert Murdoch who has recently opined on the topic (while ignoring his own contribution to our sloppiness in the form of the tabloids - 'Gotcha!).

I don't see anything in the writing of the letter that I would see as British - 'fat cat' and 'victory' certainly aren't uniquely 'us.' Had it said, 'Sorry to inconvenience you and hope it's not a dreadful bore, but we'd be most awfully grateful if you would give us $118,000. Terribly sorry if this is inconvenient but we may have to think about doing something to your daughter if you don't comply. Many thanks, Old Man' or 'Never mind the bollox, give us the cash' I might have seen your point.

However, I'll admit that because of the symbol that looks like a Sterling symbol changed to a Dollar I have wondered about Commonwealth connections at the very least. There again, Patsy had recently been in London and was magna *advertiser censored* laude smart.. Similarly, if you look at the various murders committed by the Russians in Britain (the ricin murder decades ago and the plutonium murder a year or two ago) or the Mafioso stuff like 'God's banker' hanging under Blackfriars Bridge, you do see that people enjoy turning our crime literature around on us. Your best bet with the SFF scenario is that the criminal did likewise and had a laugh at the expense of your movies.

OK, so does anyone know whether non-resident aliens can make FOIA requests? I am happy to do this and pay any charges...

(I thought Voynich's Trekkie heart would be warmed by my referring to myself as a non-resident alien rather than as a non-citizen)

Thing is, you lot speak much better formal English than we do: just ask Rupert Murdoch who has recently opined on the topic (while ignoring his own contribution to our sloppiness in the form of the tabloids - 'Gotcha!).

Nice try, but taught British-English is way more formal than taught US-English. If you are ESL then its likely you were taught British-English.

Sorry, but the expression "Make sure that you bring an adequate size attache to the bank" isn't really US-English.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back