View Poll Results: Will this case ever be formally solved?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - someone will have a eureka moment and spot a smoking gun

    7 8.43%
  • Yes - someone will have a moment of conscience and confess all they know

    9 10.84%
  • No - 'the rice is cooked' and our grandchildren will be discussing the case

    47 56.63%
  • No because it's hard formally to pin a crime on a dead person

    20 24.10%
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 406
  1. #166
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    11,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdontoyouhat
    Oh thanks for the ridicule.
    What's good for the goose...

    This is the standard and predictable RDI circular reasoning. IDI says socialist so RDI then and only then starts calling PR a cold war student. Nice try but it wont work.
    It ISN'T circular reasoning. It's been pointed out for a long time, and by people a lot more knowledgable than Sophie and me.
    Vae Victus! (May the conquered suffer!)
    Celerem vindictam manu! (Swift hand of vengeance!)


  2. #167
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    11,710
    Quote Originally Posted by madeleine View Post
    Lol SD
    Oh, I'm MAD now!
    Vae Victus! (May the conquered suffer!)
    Celerem vindictam manu! (Swift hand of vengeance!)


  3. #168
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,019
    I wasn't trying to ridicule you, HOTYH: you mentioned kings and queens with specific regard to beheadings.

    I didn't say Patsy was a Cold War student: I said she studied journalism when the Cold War was hot news.


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sophie For This Useful Post:


  5. #169
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,019
    As a matter of interest, HOTYH, and I say this without wanting to start an argument, but on what basis do you tell me that I'm way off on socialism, bearing in mind that, since 1997, my own country has been run by an at least nominally socialist government?


  6. #170
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,019
    And also, I'd love to know where you get this about upper level monarchs dishing out beheadings. There are very few absolute monarchs left on the planet who can execute without due process never mind behead people. Capital punishment alone has been outlawed for decades within the EU.


  7. #171
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
    And also, I'd love to know where you get this about upper level monarchs dishing out beheadings. There are very few absolute monarchs left on the planet who can execute without due process never mind behead people. Capital punishment alone has been outlawed for decades within the EU.
    How few??

    These posts of yours are somewhat baffling. One minute there's no socialism in the note, the next minute the low dollar amount is explained, and the minute after that you're narrowing down the possibilities.

    I'm in awe.

    Meanwhile, its not possible to tell me there's no socialism. Victory!, seen by experts as a revolutionary term, teamed with 'fat cat' says one and only one thing.

    Maybe its not French-socialism or English-socialism. It is socialism.


  8. #172
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    11,710
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    You talk as though the two were mutually exclusive. They are not, not by a long shot. Allow me:

    But you're explaining that there was no way to avoid calling 911 at 6 AM, as they would otherwise blow their cover. Is that right?

    I guess the best way to explain it is this. I'll put it in a nutshell:

    What you have to understand is that because they had the trip planned out, and because so many people knew they were going, once the killing happened, accidental or not, they were cornered.

    Make no mistake, I believe that they always intended to call 911 in direct violation of the RN. Doing so gives a reason why JB was found dead. We've been over that before, MANY times. But the possibility of having their cover blown made it so they had to call then. Indeed, I can't help but wonder if that consideration prompted the RN in the first place.
    Just bumping this up in case SOMEONE wants to talk about it. I go to a lot of trouble to post my answers. It really bothers me when I'm ignored.
    Vae Victus! (May the conquered suffer!)
    Celerem vindictam manu! (Swift hand of vengeance!)


  9. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperDave For This Useful Post:


  10. #173
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdontoyourhat View Post
    How few??

    These posts of yours are somewhat baffling. One minute there's no socialism in the note, the next minute the low dollar amount is explained, and the minute after that you're narrowing down the possibilities.

    I'm in awe.

    Meanwhile, its not possible to tell me there's no socialism. Victory!, seen by experts as a revolutionary term, teamed with 'fat cat' says one and only one thing.

    Maybe its not French-socialism or English-socialism. It is socialism.

    1) Very few - in fact, Saudi Arabia is the only one I can think of.

    2) I'm afraid there was some irony in my mentioning the low dollar amount and the category of person you were looking for. Unfortunately there are no irony tags on here that I'm aware of.

    3) I don't think I did tell you there was no socialism in the note. I said that the aspects of the note that you attributed to socialism could be attributed to other things or to the RN-writer being politically literate. The word 'victory' does conjure up the Bolsheviks storming the Winter Palace or the great European trade unionists singing the 'Red Flag.' It also conjures up pep-talks, sports figures talking up forthcoming fixtures. Hell, I'm on a soccer forum at the same time as I'm on here and someone has just said 'Victory!' about a pre-season friendly (which obviously sent me straight back over here).

    4)You can't tell me that I am way off on socialism when I comment on there being various types of socialism then say that the socialism may not French-socialism or English-socialism but just socialism. Actually, I think you are talking about revolutionary communism rather than socialism but I haven't the strength to go into that.


  11. #174
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    Just bumping this up in case SOMEONE wants to talk about it. I go to a lot of trouble to post my answers. It really bothers me when I'm ignored.
    Sorry, Dave: I've been pre-occupied with a rant elsewhere.

    I think your analysis is absolutely correct and I honestly don't understand the point that HOTYH is trying to make with this 911 controversy.


  12. #175
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    11,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
    Sorry, Dave: I've been pre-occupied with a rant elsewhere.
    I dig.

    I think your analysis is absolutely correct and I honestly don't understand the point that HOTYH is trying to make with this 911 controversy.
    Well, what you have to understand is that my brother and I went over all of this one night. I ran a whole lot of scenarios past him--calling in sick, cancelling the flight, JR flying them himself, and all the rest, and they ALL flop for one reason or another. The Rs didn't really have a choice.
    Vae Victus! (May the conquered suffer!)
    Celerem vindictam manu! (Swift hand of vengeance!)


  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperDave For This Useful Post:


  14. #176
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
    3) I don't think I did tell you there was no socialism in the note. I said that the aspects of the note that you attributed to socialism could be attributed to other things or to the RN-writer being politically literate. The word 'victory' does conjure up the Bolsheviks storming the Winter Palace or the great European trade unionists singing the 'Red Flag.' It also conjures up pep-talks, sports figures talking up forthcoming fixtures. Hell, I'm on a soccer forum at the same time as I'm on here and someone has just said 'Victory!' about a pre-season friendly (which obviously sent me straight back over here).
    The word 'victory!' isn't the only word in the ransom note. There are other words. They have nothing to do with sports.

    Victory! AND 'fat cat' AND 'not the country that it serves' AND low ransom matching unsightly bonus AND 'group of individuals' taken together at prima facie tells us one and only one thing.

    Quoting Occam's Razor while shunting prima facie is paradoxical, BTW. They're like cousins or something.

    http://socialist-courier.blogspot.co...apitalism.html

    Here's an article going on and on about excess bonuses for executives. A sore spot for socialists perhaps? Socialism dovetails with the ransom note.
    Last edited by Holdontoyourhat; 08-02-2009 at 04:14 PM.


  15. #177
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    11,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdontoyourhat View Post
    Quoting Occam's Razor while shunting prima facie is paradoxical, BTW.
    Not really, when you think about it.
    Vae Victus! (May the conquered suffer!)
    Celerem vindictam manu! (Swift hand of vengeance!)


  16. #178
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,299
    What happens when I think about it is this:

    Some whacked socialist may have killed JBR and left a note for exactly 118,000 with some socialist ideology mixed in, to call public attention to JR's excessive bonus. They didn't care about sharing handwriting or DNA because they live in an area not sharing with international LE organizations.


  17. #179
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    11,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdontoyourhat View Post
    What happens when I think about it is this:

    Some whacked socialist may have killed JBR and left a note for exactly 118,000 with some socialist ideology mixed in, to call public attention to JR's excessive bonus. They didn't care about sharing handwriting or DNA because they live in an area not sharing with international LE organizations.
    Okay. You claim that's what the prima facie evidence shows. That's fine. I respect that.

    Here's what happens when I start thinking:

    The Rs are the only people who can be proven to be in the house that night. Their statements are riddled with inconsistencies. There is physical evidence from them in key places that they cannot (and in some cases, will not) credibly account for. The crime scene is a mishmash of motives and methods, all of which play on popular American fears.

    Now contrast that with the far more elaborate idea that someone unfamiliar with the house was able to break in through an entry point that was hard to find, spend several hours inside without drawing notice, write about things that only family and a few very close friends knew about, commit an extremely complicated murder (it's only complicated IF an intruder committed it; my idea accounts for just about everything quite simply) right under their noses and then just vanish into thin air.

    Occam's Razor holds that the simplest answer is the right one. When we apply it...
    Vae Victus! (May the conquered suffer!)
    Celerem vindictam manu! (Swift hand of vengeance!)


  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperDave For This Useful Post:


  19. #180
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdontoyourhat View Post
    The word 'victory!' isn't the only word in the ransom note. There are other words. They have nothing to do with sports.

    Victory! AND 'fat cat' AND 'not the country that it serves' AND low ransom matching unsightly bonus AND 'group of individuals' taken together at prima facie tells us one and only one thing.

    Quoting Occam's Razor while shunting prima facie is paradoxical, BTW. They're like cousins or something.

    http://socialist-courier.blogspot.co...apitalism.html

    Here's an article going on and on about excess bonuses for executives. A sore spot for socialists perhaps? Socialism dovetails with the ransom note.

    HOTYH, I used the expression 'prima facie' on Monday and a good 80% of your posts since then have included it. Prima facie means, 'at first glance,' or 'on first appearance.' It doesn't suggest that the first glance is necessarily the right glance. At first glance, this was a case in which a child was murdered in her own home on Christmas night with a ransom note left behind by someone with some familiarity with the house and the family. You seem to think that the RN should have been taken at face value despite the fact that it didn't even take itself at face value - JBR was murdered, not held safe and unharmed, and no one 'phoned the Ramsey home regarding the ransom note even though it was possible that the body hadn't even been found by then.

    Occam's Razor would demand the simplest answer as being the right answer. Tell me, is the simple answer a SFF who had to identify the Ramseys, gain some familiarity with their home and their lives, wander around in the dead of night in the Ramsey home rather than abducting her on one of her many forays outdoors, remove a child from bed, feed her pineapple, write a ransom note, murder JB, wipe her down and redress her, wrap her up papoose-like, lock the wine cellar door after them and leave the house without being apprehended by anyone? Or is the simplest answer that four people went into the Ramsey home and one of them came out dead and that it was probably one of the other three who did the damage then concocted a scheme to try to get away with it?

    I'd also love to know how you think LE should have investigated this differently, bearing in mind that a prima facie acceptance of the note demands that you accept that the kidnappers knew John Ramsey?

    ETA: Thing about a prima facie acceptance of a crime is that it is the stager's best friend.

    Also, thanks for your link but bonuses are sore spots for plenty of people who aren't socialists.

    However, I am still baffled by your view of my comments on Occam's Razor and Prima Facie being paradoxical. They are entirely different things - one refers to initial appearances which may or may not be right, Occam's Razor refers to the simple solution being the right one - irrespective of how many looks you've taken at the evidence.
    Last edited by Sophie; 08-02-2009 at 05:48 PM.


  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sophie For This Useful Post:


Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CA CA - Candace Starr, 16, Granada Hills, 21 Sept 1975
    By Airys_01 in forum Resolved Cold Cases
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-15-2013, 07:32 PM
  2. Will This Case Ever Be Solved?
    By SeriouslySearching in forum Haleigh Cummings
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-05-2009, 10:51 AM
  3. Do you think this case will ever be solved?
    By Solace in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 02-21-2007, 03:31 PM
  4. If this case got solved..............
    By ellen13 in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 07:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •