CO CO - Chaffee Co, WhtMale 15-19, UP9272, IL & PA matchbooks, Sep'81

Is it possible for anyone to contact LE on this case during the day? I'm not able to call from work and the poster that was working on this doesn't seem to be around anymore. The process was started long ago - seems there should be results by now.....

Is it possible for anyone to contact LE on this case during the day? I'm not able to call from work and the poster that was working on this doesn't seem to be around anymore. The process was started long ago - seems there should be results by now.....

Bumping! The poster that originally submitted this possible match is not willing to follow-up. Is there anyone that can make a phone call to one of the LE numbers posted to find out if this is a match?

I see Roger's thread is back up in Missing But Not Forgotton forum.

Still need to find out who this UID is!

Boulder was aware of the Doe and Jon Haynes back in '81. Haynes was considered a non-match, but only based on the Doe's decomp putting his death at a year prior, and Haynes disappearance being 6 weeks earlier.

However, they are checking now that a tissue sample for Doe was entered for comparison to DNA of Jon Haynes family. 6 weeks versus a year seems like a rule-out, but you never know!

This case below showed up in DoeNet today. It seemed to fit closely enough to the little information that was available on this case 1107UMCO.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1107umco.html

So I called Pueblo County Sheriff's office to make a call to find out if the cases had been compared. The detective Don Leach didn't come off as being too interested. At first, he said that CODIS should have taken care of it. I responded that there is no indication of whether or not the decedent is in CODIS. He said that he'd look into it. (IMO, I doubt he will)

It was my mistake to approach this from the MP side. The response from the MP side is usually a yawn.

The Doe Network:
Case File 2017DMCO

http://doenetwork.org/cases/2017dmco.html

aaandy-e13386667121451.jpg

Andy Lepley
Missing since May 30, 1976 from Crow Junction, Pueblo County, Colorado
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

* Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male.
* AKA: Joe

Circumstances of Disappearance
It is believed Lepley was kidnapped during a suspected robbery May 30, 1976, at the Crow Junction Texaco at Interstate 25 and Colorado 165 where he had worked part time for two years. That is at the intersection of Interstate 25 and Highway 165 that leads into Colorado City and on to Rye.
About 06:15 a.m. on that Sunday, Lepley picked up the station keys from manager Ron Shaffer. A mere 15 minutes later, patrons at an adjoining cafe noticed several people seeking gasoline but not getting any service.
A short time later, Shaffer and a deputy sheriff found Lepley's car parked at the station, but the youth was nowhere to be found. They also found an empty cash register and Shaffer's citizen-band radio with its microphone ripped out. Lepley's car was left in the parking lot with the keys in it.
Lepley was a senior at Rye High School at the time.
Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Pueblo County Sheriff's Office
719-583-6400

Agency Case Number: 76-0898

Source Information:
The Pueblo Chieftain
Colorado Springs Gazette Telegraph

Carl,

Too bad they don't list Andy's height. With the UID being 5'6, it would probably be an easy ruleout.

I agree with the LE that handles the MP end seems to not care in alot of instances. Lately when I have possible matches, I usually contact the Medical Examiners office of the UID. It seems like I make more head way that route!

Carl,

Too bad they don't list Andy's height. With the UID being 5'6, it would probably be an easy ruleout.

I agree with the LE that handles the MP end seems to not care in alot of instances. Lately when I have possible matches, I usually contact the Medical Examiners office of the UID. It seems like I make more head way that route!

It was a long-shot anyway given the few available data points on which to match the cases, but since this was a new DoeNet case, and that it was a 5-year old case when the bones were found, they probably had not thought to compare them yet.

BTW, I doubt that either case is in CODIS. I think his CODIS comment was a cop-out (no pun intended).

I followed up on this case today with Keith Pinkston of the Chaffee County Sheriff's office. Andy Lepley was ruled out with respect to this case, although he couldn't remember what the basis for the rule-out was.

Charley has Andy's height down as 5'9". But given the state of the skeletal remains, who knows?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lepley_andy.html

That doe pages says they can't even give an approximation of his death date.

And just for the heck of it (and being an ex-Coloradoan), I looked at a map & it's a fairly straight-forward route between Pueblo & Chaffee County, which I sort of suspected:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=cha....754083,-106.254272&spn=2.026134,4.938354&z=8

How frustrating that they don't seem to want to be bothered :(

Here's the NamUs casefile on this UID.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9272

It indicates that the skeletal remains were those of a black male, aged 15-19 and about 5'10" (70 inches) tall.

The DoeNet casefile indicates a white male about 17 and about 5'6" tall.

They updated the NamUs casefile. They are now saying he's white again.

I was looking at this case again, and saw some additional info in the "Circumstances" section:

Scattered bones, blue jeans (33 waist, 31 inseam), a green and brown corduroy jacket, and several books of matches (one from Plaza Bowling in IL, one from Eugene Hoaster Insurance Co. in PA) were discovered near Clear Creek on September 10, 1981. [...]

This seems to suggest that the John Doe may have been traveling from the East Coast.

Andrew Memmelaar was on the road, and probably went through Ohio and Pennsylvania en route between Jeffersonville New York and Lehigh KS. One would expect that he would be somewhere in between, but maybe not.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/memmelaar_andrew.html

AndrewMemmelaar_zps698baca9.jpg
attachment.php

His height (5'11") is off from the UID's estimated height (5'6"). (The UID wore pants with a 31-inch inseam, which seems to me a bit taller than 5'6". I am nearly 6 feet, and wear pants with a 32" inseam).

There is no mention of a badly healed collarbone injury on the UID, though they may not have located the collarbones.

He has a similar facial shape. His age is spot-on, the timeline is pretty close (1975 Date LKA vs 1981 Discovery w/5-Year Postmortem Interval).

I was looking at this case again, and saw some additional info in the "Circumstances" section:

This seems to suggest that the John Doe may have been traveling from the East Coast.

Andrew Memmelaar was on the road, and probably went through Ohio and Pennsylvania en route between Jeffersonville New York and Lehigh KS. One would expect that he would be somewhere in between, but maybe not.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/memmelaar_andrew.html

AndrewMemmelaar_zps698baca9.jpg
attachment.php

His height (5'11") is off from the UID's estimated height (5'6"). (The UID wore pants with a 31-inch inseam, which seems to me a bit taller than 5'6". I am nearly 6 feet, and wear pants with a 32" inseam).

There is no mention of a badly healed collarbone injury on the UID, though they may not have located the collarbones.

He has a similar facial shape. His age is spot-on, the timeline is pretty close (1975 Date LKA vs 1981 Discovery w/5-Year Postmortem Interval).

I got ahold of the dental chart for Andrew Memmelaar. I can see that assuming that both charts are correct, this would not be a match. Andrew's #3 upper-right molar, and his #18 lower left molar were missing. The chart for the UID shows these two teeth as present with fillings.

Andrew's chart reads as follows (with irreconcilable differences marked in red, and differences not necessarily irreconcilable are in blue):

Upper (R to L, 01-16) N N A N N N N N N N N N N N F N
Lower (R to L, 32-17) N N N N N N N N N N N N N F A N

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson