Thread: Jeff Pelley - IN - Guilty or Innocent?

Jeff Pelley - IN - Guilty or Innocent?

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3255186&page=1

I want to start a thread on this because it's a very interesting case. Personally I believe this guy did kill his family so he could go to the prom. So sad he had to kill his sisters as well! I didn't find a thread for him - so please let me know if one has been started.

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=C...iceforjeff.org
    I hope this link works. Justice for Jeff started by his sister Jacque. At the bottom it states Innocence Project is has agreed to take his case.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions...2190901trb.pdf
    Robert Jeffrey Pelley vs State of Indiana - he appealed his convictions for the murders of his father, stepmother and two stepsisters.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/26952739.html
    Supreme Court hears arguments in Jeff Pelley case.

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/08/13/Pa...in_famil.shtml
    Sorry these articles aren't in order - article regarding Jeff's arrest - 13 years after the murders.

http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/26925674.html
    Short article but interesting comments from locals. I can't believe it took 13 years to bring this thug to justice.

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/26969889.htm
    People commenting about his article seem to think that because he went to church - he couldn't be capable of something like this! I think he had a serious argument with his father regarding the Prom and he snapped and killed him. He then had to kill the rest of the family because they saw what happened.

http://books.google.com/books?id=If9...esult&resnum=2
    hopefully this link works! I haven't read the book but I bet it's interesting. Anyone else read it? Prom Date Murders?

Thank you for posting this case ckwood32. I have to read all the links, thanks for providing them!

You are welcome Boyz Mum!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ckwood32 For This Useful Post:

Yeah, thanks for starting this thread ck. And for bringing attention to this case....I had never heard of it before.

I'm a big proponent of going with my gut feelings on things. Sometimes I am wrong and when that happens I'm the first to admit it. But more often than not, my gut is right on the money.

I'm going to read all ck's links and let y'all know what my gut has to say about it lol.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SleuthyMama For This Useful Post:

I have read the book and I know the case very well. There were things that pointed to premeditated murder, not snapping. He had permission to go to the prom but not the dinner before or the amusement park the next day. His dad was going to drive Jeff and his date to the prom and had taken the insurance off Jeff's car. But supposedly his dad had changed his mind. Even one of the stepsisters who was away for the night of the murders knew Jeff would be at the amusement park that next day and told this to the police.
    There was also the question of where the gun came from..and where it went.

Then again the timeline was tight. He had just 20 minutes to murder 4 people, clean up, get rid of the gun, drive into town, go to a gas station, fiddle with his car and then make it to his girlfriend's house. Ok the drive alone takes 10 minutes or longer.

Then there was the unknown reason that Pastor Pelley moved his family to Indiana from Florida. He was a banker, suddenly becomes a minister and leaves Florida in the middle of the night. Someone who was from his past in Florida also just happened to get murdered the day before the Pelley murders.

The people murdered were Jeff's father, stepmother and 2 younger stepsisters. Mr Pelley had recently married his wife, so it was a quickly blended family. A full sister to Jeff and another stepsister were away from the home that night.

There was also some question on whether the murders happened the night of the prom or the next day. The shower was still wet when the bodies were found, who washed up when??? Was it still wet from the day before?

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to colette For This Useful Post:

Colette do you recall the name of the book? I would like to read it as well. TIA
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Colette do you recall the name of the book? I would like to read it as well. TIA
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Prom-Night-Murders-American-Troubled/dp/0312947240"]Amazon.com: The Prom Night Murders: A Devoted American Family, their Troubled Son, and a Ghastly Crime (St. Martin's True Crime Library) (9780312947248): Carlton Smith: Books[/ame]
    Prom Night Murders. From everything I read - the Father stated the day of the Prom Jeff wasn't allowed to drive his car to the prom - Jeff was washing it and his Father asked him why - he wasn't taking it. A friend of Jeff's Father also told him he rigged Jeff's car somehow so it wouldn't operate properly - which is why Jeff went to a gas station looking for tools/cardboard to somehow fix his car. Plus - no insurance on the car- why would the Dad all of a sudden say "go ahead and drive your car -I've changed my mind - there's no insurance and I rigged it, but have a good time".

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ckwood32 For This Useful Post:

I probably won't order the book, so for the sake of discussion, was Jeff a troubled youth? Did he have a juvenile record? Where was his birth mother? Colette can you give more details on the family's life in Florida and why they left?

Court case records answered most of my questions. I think this young man killed his family, so very sad, but he had both motive and opportunity. I do however find it strange that the neighbor's noticed so many details; kids were not out playing, drapes were drawn, basement light on, dog was on chain and not in kennel, etc. But no one heard five shotgun blasts?

His clothing in the washer (that he was known to have worn that day) was significant for me. How many 17 year old boy's put only four items in a washer load? Anyway, just a few comments after reading parts of the very brief case record.
    Last edited by Knox; 07-31-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Additional comments

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    ck,
    Thanks for starting this thread. I just read the abc story. Something wasn't right in whoville... that is for sure... I do find the info that you posted, Colette, very interesting. I guess I have to buy that book!! :-)
    This bee my opinion

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Thank you colette and ckwood32 (for the link to the book!). I'll add it to my reading list and revisit this thread once I've read all the articles posted and the book. Many thanks!
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

Jeff's mother had died from cancer, and the stepmother had also lost her husband around the same time. I believe it was a year or two before the new couple married. From what I understand Jeff wasn't fond of her. I think his dad wanted him to call his stepmother "mom" and I think that was too soon if ever for that.

Jeff did have a record for breaking in houses down the road, also a fact not well known is that another home on that road was robbed the weekend before the murders, a shotgun was taken.

The area is rural and gun blasts are very common, so maybe no one noticed. Plus most of the killing was done in the basement, keeping the sound inside. Only the dad was upstairs. The home is very visible from the road, right next to the small church. Easy to see if cars are outside or curtains closed, ect.

No one really knows the reason the family left Florida so suddenly, but there was talk of money laundering. Some of the Florida family friends had some questionable dealings talked about in the book.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colette For This Useful Post:

Thank you all for book info.

I too have to add the book to my reading list. From what I've read thus far, I haven't formed a strong opinion either way. (Still more to read at the links and must order the book.)

Thanks again!