Resolved FL - Port St Joe, 2 Children 96UMFL & 66UFFL, bound & gagged in photo, Jun'89

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom Goose

Inactive
Reaction score
Right now I can't find the boy's Doe Network page, but here is the girl's:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/66uffl.html

The Doe Network:
Case File 66UFFL

Colour photo here:
bound.jpg

Unidentified Female Last seen on June 15, 1989 in Port St. Joe, Gulf County, Florida.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 15 - 16 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0"
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair and blue eyes.

Case History
On June 15, 1989, a Polaroid photo of this girl bound and gagged was found in a Port St. Joe, FL convenience store parking lot by a customer. The photo also showed an unidentified boy, also bound. The photo was found where a white, late 1980's Toyota cargo van with no windows had previously been parked. This unidentified teenage girl was also seen on the beach in Port St. Joe, Florida on June 15, 1989. She was accompanied by several older caucasian males, who appeared to be ordering the girl along the beachfront. It is not known if this girl was being held against her will by these individuals or if the incident was staged. Investigators are still trying to ascertain the girl's identity, which would allow them to close the case or investigate further.

A tattered copy of "My Sweet Audrina" by V.C. Andrews, a lastic cup and a squirt gun are also visible in the photo. Polaroid officials say the picture was taken with film not available until May 1989. Two other photos have surfaced over the years. The first was found near a residential construction site in Montecito, California. The haunting Polaroid, taken on film not available until June 1989, shows the blurry image of a girl's face, her mouth again covered with tape, her hairline exhibiting that same cowlick at the right temple. Behind her is light-blue striped fabric similar to that on the pillow in the Toyota van photo. Another Polaroid, this one taken on film not available until February 1990, shows a woman loosely bound in gauze, her eyes covered with more gauze and large black-framed glasses. A man is sitting next to her on a passenger seat of an Amtrak train.

There have been speculations that the girl in this case file is Tara Calico who disappeared from New Mexico in 1988.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this girl's identity, please contact:
Port St. Joe Police Department
850-229-8265
You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

--------

From http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/calico.html

"A copy of the V. C. Andrews novel My Sweet Audrina, a plastic cup, and a squirt gun are also visible in the photo. There is apparently a phone number written on the spine of the book, but some of the digits are unreadable. Experts say it could be 300 possible numbers, 57 of which are valid."

"The Federal Bureau Of Investigation (FBI) examined the photo and cannot determine whether the girl is Calico or the boy Henley, but experts at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in Arizona believes the girl is Calico. The girl has a similar hairline and ear to Calico's, and a mark on her calf similar to a scar Calico got in a car crash."

That picture has ALWAYS disturbed me!!!!!!!!:mad:

I remember years ago we had a big thread on here about this photo & who the children might be.FWIR the FBI ruled the girl out as Tara Calico because,get ready for the worlds most dumbazz answer ever,THE GIRLS LEGS WERE SHAVED!!!!!!!!! Yes the FBI said that a kidnapped hostage wouldnt have shaved legs <sigh> I STRONGLY disagree with them but Im no expert.
Tara's family,I believe,felt that it WAS Tara & I believe had it analyzed/investigated privately.Im ashamed to say I cannot remember what missing child the boy was speculated to be but again I believe the family felt it was him too.
A troubling mystery Id love to see solved..........

Couldn't the girl have shaved her legs just prior to being abducted? That is a really lame excuse, IMO.
I know OR like her captors if they were using her for *advertiser censored* or prostitution or whatever wouldnt groom her or make her do it.Nevermind the stories we have heard about Captors bathing victims or dying their hair .That can happen but shaving legs? Thats impossible!!!!!:rolleyes:

Do her parents believe 100% that it is Tara? I think that most parents would be able to recognize their child's eyes and face, even with part covered.

That is the thing for me..I would believe any parent with a missing child would be abl to recongize their childs face..I hate this photo..I remember seeing this a while ago. The feelings this photo brings for me just gives me absolute heartbreak because I just want to reach into the photo and help these children. I can not believe no parent has stepped forward in regards to the boy, or for that matter any other family members. Perhaps the people who have these poor children is the family of that little boy..you just never know..this is so heartbreaking. With other photos being found it is like some one is goading LE , making a game of it...some where some one has the answer. This is just horrible !

That is the thing for me..I would believe any parent with a missing child would be abl to recongize their childs face..I hate this photo..I remember seeing this a while ago. The feelings this photo brings for me just gives me absolute heartbreak because I just want to reach into the photo and help these children. I can not believe no parent has stepped forward in regards to the boy, or for that matter any other family members. Perhaps the people who have these poor children is the family of that little boy..you just never know..this is so heartbreaking. With other photos being found it is like some one is goading LE , making a game of it...some where some one has the answer. This is just horrible !
A family DID come forward about the boy! I cant remember the name.Im going to re-read the old Tara Calico thread.I know the name is in there.

I think the name for the boy that you're remembering is Michael Henley. He disappeared from the southwest, I believe, and his parents thought it was him. However, Michael Henley's remains were found not far from where he disappeared. I don't think the boy in the photo is Michael Henley.

I think the photo boy resembles David Michael Borer, but the Borer boy is younger that the age estimated for the boy in the photo.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/borer_david.html

I think the name for the boy that you're remembering is Michael Henley. He disappeared from the southwest, I believe, and his parents thought it was him. However, Michael Henley's remains were found not far from where he disappeared. I don't think the boy in the photo is Michael Henley.

I think the photo boy resembles David Michael Borer, but the Borer boy is younger that the age estimated for the boy in the photo.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/borer_david.html
Re-reading the old thread (which I think is the SECOND old thread making this the 3rd thread! LOL) there were a few different names bandied about the boys possible identity .I believe one of the possibles was also a possible for UID remains found in Port St.Lucie Fl.
So many of the old links are gone........Im trying to search now & am coming up empty!:(
One link I HAVE to find is one that talks about how SCOTLAND YARD determined through their analysis that it IS Tara but the States Lab said "no" so the FBI went with the State Lab's findings!! I also believe Tara's family had additional analysis done & that was conclusive as it being Tara.
I believe all thins hinged on her ear measurements(?) & that what either was conclusive for Scotland Yard or inconclusive for the State Lab -I cant remember which!
My mind is getting fuzzier the older I get -ugh.
This photo mystery,like the Sharon Marshall case,was one I saw on Unsolved Mysteries & I got "hooked" & it brought me (eventually)to W/S.

I know there was chatter about this pic being a "hoax" or a "joke photo".
#1 Thats a sick f&*king joke to put two children through.

and

#2 Id like to think that said joke-sters would,despite their lapse in judgement & twisted sense of humor,would have the decency to quietly inform LE of the truth to end speculation & toy with the emotions of the families of the missing!

The eyes of these two certainly do not look like a hoax, IMO. I would love to know where these two young ones are now.

Albuquerque Journal
September 14, 2008

What Happened To Woman Missing 20 Years? Sheriff Says He Knows
by Leslie Linthicum

A girl rides a bike on a lonely stretch of road. Then, poof, she's gone.

The mystery of Tara Calico's disappearance began to unfurl a little after noon on Sept. 20, 1988, when Tara's mother drove south on N.M. 47 from Rio Communities, expecting to find her daughter with a flat tire. Instead, all she found in the dirt on the side of the road was a tire track from the bike Tara was riding.

Tara never came home, and so began a family's chain of sorrow. And a puzzle that fed the television crime shows. And a police case that has now stretched out to fill two banker's boxes and 20 years.

Gone without a trace.

At least that has been the storyline.

But to Valencia County Sheriff Rene Rivera, the case isn't much of a whodunit.

He says he knows what happened, and has for years.

Twenty years into the Tara Calico mystery, Rivera would like to let everyone in on what happened to 19-year-old Tara out on N.M. 47 on that September day:

"The individuals who did the harm to Tara, knew who she was," Rivera told me. "They knew who she was, and they're all local individuals. And I believe that the parents (of the attackers) were some of the people that helped the individuals with hiding the truth or hiding the body or trying to escape prosecution."

Tara was 19 and starting her second year in college. Her attackers were boys she had gone to high school with, although they were behind her in school and younger, Rivera says.

"She was a real pretty girl. She was very athletic and a lot of guys wanted to talk to her, they wanted to meet her, they wanted to go out with her. And while she was riding the bike, they went up to try to talk to her, try to grab her, whatever, while she was on the bike."

The truck they were driving accidentally hit Tara, Rivera says, and bad turned worse.

Rivera has been working on the case since he started as a deputy in 1989, since he was promoted to detective in 1996 and since he was elected sheriff in 2006. For all of those years, the walls of Valencia County have been talking, naming names of the boys who were in the truck, names of the boys who helped bury Tara's body after they killed her, names of the parents and other relatives who helped clean up and cover up the mess.

Rivera says he has had enough information to get arrest warrants for the two boys - now men - whom he has identified as the killers. Two others have been identified as accomplices.

Then why, 20 years later, are we marking another milestone anniversary of a missing person's case?

Because Tara Calico is still missing.

"It's kind of hard to make a case," Rivera says, "without a body."

Rivera and Detective James Purdy are still talking to people about Tara Calico, and they're hoping that time will wear away some of the resistance to answering that one lingering question: What did they do with her?

"You know it's very frustrating, being that there's a lot of people that know what happened," Rivera said. "They know the whereabouts of the body or the remains.

"A lot of the information that we are getting is because people are starting to open up a little more. When this first happened, people were scared. People were threatened not to speak out because what happened to Tara could happen to them."

One of the most riveting aspects of the Calico case was a Polaroid photo found outside a convenience store in Florida a little less than a year after Calico went missing. It showed a bound young woman who looked strikingly similar to Tara, in the back of a van, staring at the camera. A boy, also bound, was lying next to her.

Tara's parents had the photo analyzed by Scotland Yard and said it was determined to be Tara. An investigator for the Valencia County District Attorney had a Los Alamos National Laboratory analysis that determined it wasn't.

Maybe the photo was of Tara, Rivera says. But all of his informants tell him Tara never left home.

"I believe the body's nearby," he says. And he believes her bike will be with it.

Tara's father died in 2002. Her mother died in 2006. Living family members, kids when Tara was a kid, are grown. Tara would be 39 later this month.

"I want to be able to give them closure, to be able to say, you know, I got the individuals who did whatever they did to her. I was able to recover the remains and give them to them to give her a proper burial."

Tara Calico's disappearance is one of New Mexico's oldest, most lingering cold cases.

"Actually, it's a mystery that's getting hotter every day," Rivera told me. "Some people have this information, and they've had it for so long that they've gotten sick by hiding the information they have, and now they're coming forward to try to relieve themselves.

"Some of these people that were witnesses to the crime have been scared to come forward. They think that, being that they were there, that they're going to get prosecuted for the death. At this point, what I want to let people to know is that, if there were witnesses there, I'm willing to work with them. I need to have their information. I need to be able to recover this body."

Isnt Rivera the one who also told Mrs Calico Tara had her hands cut off by satanists & was burned alive at the stake? Hes had ALOT of gruesome theories over the years if so.
If he has enough for warrants Id think thatd be enough to go to trial & although difficult its not impossible to try a case without the victims body-it happens frequently!!!!!!!!
Im not buying this.......although its the most plausible scenario (Tara was murdered by someone or someones she knew)I think hes waited far too long to pull this out.......it stinks imo.

I still think that if the parents say it is their daughter, then they are more likely to know than anyone else. If this cop has that much proof, to make that specific of an accusation, then he should have enough for a grand jury. Without specific evidence, it just sounds as if he is just blowing smoke and hoping that something catches fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni