1118 users online (194 members and 924 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

CA - Los Angeles County, WhtFem 225UFCA 1 of 2 Children killed by dynamite, 1921-1951

This case is so weird and please remove it if it is already listed but I could not find it. 2 children a boy and girl were killed in Cali when dymaite exploded in their hands.

Unidentified White Female
    • Located between 1921 and 1951 in Los Angeles County, California.
    • Victim was a child.
    • Cause of death is an exploded dynamite.

Case History
    Two children found sticks of dynamite near a dam in Los Angeles County, and began to play with them. The sticks exploded in their hands, killing them instantly.
    There is no way possible to get a reconstruction of the male child due to the state of his body at the time of discovery.
    There are no names or dates available, and this case is unsolved by the FBI.
    The photographer who took these photos had a career in forensic photography between 1921 and 1951, so these deaths occured in that time frame.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/225ufca.html
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 04-04-2013 at 09:07 PM.

I agree that this case is strange. I don't understand why they have so little information and cannot even pinpoint a specific year that this happened. Maybe the police did not keep good files for the case back then.

I cant believe no one came forward about these kids unless it wasnt publicized enough or something. All i know is this case really bothers me.

Very strange case. No one reported missing their children? There was never a clue to why the dynamite was there- could it have been there for work being done to the dam in a certain year? I can't think of anything that would narrow down a time frame. Since there were photos, wasn't there any indication to how old the film was or what type of film was used? (I don't know if cameras/film had many changes from 21-51?) In the span of years, many things happened, including the Great Depression, WWII, etc...

This case is really tough, not very much to go on.

Could it have been Brenda Jo Howell & Donald Lee Baker?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2123dfca.html

They both disappeared while riding their bikes on Glendora Mtn. Road, which is near the San Gabriel Mtn. Dam & Reservoir. She was 12 yrs old, he was 15.

Their profiles state that Mack Ray Edwards admitted to killing them and 4 other children between 1953 and 1970. He was charged and convicted of killing 4 other children,, but he was never charged with these murders. Edwards worked in construction driving a bulldozer. Its possible the kids didn't die from playing w/ dynamite, but were killed by Edwards either using dynamite or disguised their murders with it.
    Last edited by Betty P; 08-10-2009 at 10:26 PM.

Found this description of biking Glendora Mtn. Rd.

http://tinyurl.com/nzhnzq

It does mention a dam being visible from the road.

From the TruCrime Library on Mack Ray Edwards, this excerpt:

"...several of the missing victims might have been thus erased, because Edwards had worked for the highway department and knew where new roads were going to be laid. It was a simple thing for him to dig a shallow grave the night before."

I'm assuming this may also have given him access to dynamite in working on cutting new roads through mountainous areas.

Here's a link to San Gabriel Canyon, and the dam and reservoir just north.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...23818&t=h&z=15

Wonder if there's any way to determine which dam is referred to in the Doe Network CA 2 file?

Warning!!! Post-Mortem Photo!!!

Here's a post-mortem pic of the child:

http://images1.snapfish.com/346%3B58...459%3C27nu0mrj
    "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out." (The Smiths)

Placed a query on genforum for LA County-no replies.
    Note-are they basing the time frame on the photographer career of 1921-1951? He could very well have acquired the pictures after he retired in 1951-thus possibly its a later case _i.e. message # 5 above. Has the film been identified as to when it was taken? Although picture is apparently genuine the providence is quite vague-once when I came across some vague references to pictures of 2 lynched murderers-i had a hard time finding out anything about the innocent victims they had killed-only by accident did I find out that one caption was wrongly dated a month later and another killing occurred in a different state then that of photographer/dealers!
    Last edited by PFF; 09-23-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: More words

Definitely an odd case. There's so little information; how are authorities even sure these children weren't identified? Were there any witnesses to the explosion or did someone find the bodies soon after?

Cannot view entire Feb. 20, 1924 LA Times article: "Children play with dynamite, one dies"

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/...S&pqatl=google

Also, Charley Project page for Donald Lee Baker, not that it helps yet since there's so little information on the two UIDs:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/baker_donald.html

Hey, good to see people trying to solve this but I am wondering... how can anyone view a photo of a dead child, escpecially one blown up? Does anyone who has small children look at that post mortem, because I could not bring myself to click, it makes my stomache turn just thinking of the poor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Danaya View Post
    Hey, good to see people trying to solve this but I am wondering... how can anyone view a photo of a dead child, escpecially one blown up? Does anyone who has small children look at that post mortem, because I could not bring myself to click, it makes my stomache turn just thinking of the poor thing.
    Nobody is forced to look at any post-mortem photos. So, I don't know what the problem is. For my part, I have no problem looking at them and I don't distinguish between post-mortem photos of adults and children. Perhaps that sounds hard and heartless, but I try not to be too much emotionally involved when dealing with UID and missing person cases.
    I just thought it would be helpful to post this picture since we are trying to identify the girl.
    Last edited by Lady Stardust; 06-28-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Word changed
    "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out." (The Smiths)

Bump. This case is too strange. Has anyone inquired with the LA County Sheriffs office?

A really strange and intriguing case! Surely someone must have noticed these children were missing? I would assume they were from the area if they were playing there? So many questions....

JMHO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast