Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 643
  1. #226
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    73,054
    Thank you Sidekick. I've left a few messages for my sister about the union stuff but no call back from her yet. Will check out these links. Sorry, not meaning to drop the ball on that, but kind of running in all directions these last few weeks.


  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


  3. #227
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    73,054
    I'm running on exhaustion here, but before I forget..... or get another distraction.....

    I started a one night per week for 11 weeks local free citizens police academy class hoping to expand and learn more avenues for my passion with sleuthing and advocating for the missing and unidentified. I LOVE the class, though while it was supposed to end at 9pm it ended about 10:30 last night... and I am just exhausted.

    Why am I sharing that? because during the class last night and the information being taught a thought popped into my head regarding Annas case! (nothing like not having a lap top at that moment, lol).

    We were discussing the foundations for which the US police were founded, based on the English principles.... and I had never known English PD's were sometimes called "Bobbies". Right away, I thought maybe that is why Margaret Kukoda called George "Bobby". Maybe she too bought into him being 'the great one' and she refered to him in this way.

    Annasmom, you are most likely to recall GB's strange beliefs. Any thoughts on this?

    Anyone else with a better knowledge of Englands history have any thoughts?


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


  5. #228
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I'm running on exhaustion here, but before I forget..... or get another distraction.....

    I started a one night per week for 11 weeks local free citizens police academy class hoping to expand and learn more avenues for my passion with sleuthing and advocating for the missing and unidentified. I LOVE the class, though while it was supposed to end at 9pm it ended about 10:30 last night... and I am just exhausted.

    Why am I sharing that? because during the class last night and the information being taught a thought popped into my head regarding Annas case! (nothing like not having a lap top at that moment, lol).

    We were discussing the foundations for which the US police were founded, based on the English principles.... and I had never known English PD's were sometimes called "Bobbies". Right away, I thought maybe that is why Margaret Kukoda called George "Bobby". Maybe she too bought into him being 'the great one' and she refered to him in this way.

    Annasmom, you are most likely to recall GB's strange beliefs. Any thoughts on this?

    Anyone else with a better knowledge of Englands history have any thoughts?
    Hi Cubby,

    I brought this up a while ago, not sure if it is earlier in this thread or in the first GB thread. (My Grandmother was Scottish and she always called a policeman a "Bobby" as they also did in England).

    IIRC Annasmom said that a Dutch friend of her's had told her that Bobby was a kind of "pet" name, like a term of endearment and Annasmom thought this would be the more likely reason for Margaret calling GB Bobby.

    I will have a look tomorrow and see if I can find Annasmom's reply for you.


  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OzzieMum For This Useful Post:


  7. #229
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    73,054
    Thanks Ozziemum. I probably missed your earlier post. I too thought of the nickname as a term of endearment, but at the time this popped into my head it registered as one of the theories of a possible real identity of GB. I believe you, no worries on finding Annasmoms post for supporting documentation.

    thanks!
    Last edited by Cubby; 03-05-2010 at 04:10 AM.


  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


  9. #230
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,701
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieMum View Post
    Hi Cubby,

    I brought this up a while ago, not sure if it is earlier in this thread or in the first GB thread. (My Grandmother was Scottish and she always called a policeman a "Bobby" as they also did in England).

    IIRC Annasmom said that a Dutch friend of her's had told her that Bobby was a kind of "pet" name, like a term of endearment and Annasmom thought this would be the more likely reason for Margaret calling GB Bobby.

    I will have a look tomorrow and see if I can find Annasmom's reply for you.
    Yes, I thought it was a pet name (and possibly a clue to GB's real name). I really don't think he had anything to do with law enforcement or England. There was no trace of a foreign accent, and when he spoke of things outside the US, it was never more than what you could read in the newspaper.


  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annasmom For This Useful Post:


  11. #231
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    361
    Did anyone get any further with the union involvement and the possibility that GB was a barber? I thought that was a really good theory.


  12. The Following User Says Thank You to OzzieMum For This Useful Post:


  13. #232
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    southwest US
    Posts
    1,684
    I found this, and while I know we have discussed this George Brody in the past, I thought it was interesting the facial resemblance, particularly around the nose. Could the GB we know of have been a brother, cousin etc of the George Brody linked to below? Or maybe GB knew this George Brody? Didn't Margaret come from this area (Lancaster/Southeastern PA) as well?

    http://www.stevenscollege.edu/files/...Newsletter.pdf Page 5
    Last edited by Julessleuther; 03-06-2010 at 10:50 PM.
    I am looking for a few good sleuthers to help Missie find her sister--please, please, please bring your fresh ideas!!

    Deanna Merryfield:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58438


  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Julessleuther For This Useful Post:


  15. #233
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Julessleuther View Post
    I found this, and while I know we have discussed this George Brody in the past, I thought it was interesting the facial resemblance, particularly around the nose. Could the GB we know of have been a brother, cousin etc of the George Brody linked to below? Or maybe GB knew this George Brody? Didn't Margaret come from this area (Lancaster/Southeastern PA) as well?

    http://www.stevenscollege.edu/files/...Newsletter.pdf
    WOW. I haven't seen this GB before. I find it really interesting that this GB was an amateur boxer and our GB also claimed to be a boxer. Favorite sports tend to run in families because you grow up with that sport.

    I also agree on the resemblance Julessleuther.

    How much was this GB looked in to? Can anyone tell me where the discussions on this GB are?

    It might be worth while finding out if his wife or son are still alive and see if they know anything about our GB.


  16. The Following User Says Thank You to OzzieMum For This Useful Post:


  17. #234
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,701
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieMum View Post
    WOW. I haven't seen this GB before. I find it really interesting that this GB was an amateur boxer and our GB also claimed to be a boxer. Favorite sports tend to run in families because you grow up with that sport.

    I also agree on the resemblance Julessleuther.

    How much was this GB looked in to? Can anyone tell me where the discussions on this GB are?

    It might be worth while finding out if his wife or son are still alive and see if they know anything about our GB.
    I don't remember ever seeing this before.


  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Annasmom For This Useful Post:


  19. #235
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    southwest US
    Posts
    1,684
    Oh--I thought that we found another George that was a boxer, who turned out not to be the GB we are looking for. If he has not been looked into before, I will research him on ancestry!

    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieMum View Post
    WOW. I haven't seen this GB before. I find it really interesting that this GB was an amateur boxer and our GB also claimed to be a boxer. Favorite sports tend to run in families because you grow up with that sport.

    I also agree on the resemblance Julessleuther.

    How much was this GB looked in to? Can anyone tell me where the discussions on this GB are?

    It might be worth while finding out if his wife or son are still alive and see if they know anything about our GB.
    I am looking for a few good sleuthers to help Missie find her sister--please, please, please bring your fresh ideas!!

    Deanna Merryfield:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58438


  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Julessleuther For This Useful Post:


  21. #236
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    southwest US
    Posts
    1,684
    This George Brody has(d) several siblings: Benjamin, Leo, Gabriel, Paul, Euniss, Ruth, Julia, Camilla and Nancy

    According to the obit, he outlived all his brothers and sisters. What an amazing man!

    Here is his obit:

    George BrodyGeorge Brody, 90, devoted husband, father and grandfather, died at The Essa Flory Hospice Center in Lancaster on Tuesday, January 6, 2009, after a long illness.
    Born on March 26, 1918, in Wilkes-Barre, he was the second of 10 children of the late Thomas and Helen (Elias) Brody. He outlived all his brothers and sisters, Benjamin, Leo, Gabriel, Paul, Euniss, Ruth, Julia, Camilla and Nancy.
    George was married to Martha (Allan) Brody, who survives him. High school sweethearts, they celebrated their 66th wedding anniversary on Dec. 11, 2008. They lived on Conestoga Boulevard in Lancaster.
    George’s youth was filled with hardship and adventure. During the Great Depression, he left home, riding the rails around the United States before joining the Civilian Conservation Corps. He also was an amateur boxer and, briefly, a minor league baseball player. His sons and grandchildren inherited his passion for sports (especially the New York Yankees), and he loved to watch their games and share his knowledge with them.
    During World War II, he served in the Second Infantry Division and then in the Army Air Force at Hondo, Texas.
    After the war, he resumed his education, returning home to Wilkes-Barre to finish high school. Thanks to the G.I. Bill, he went on to Wilkes University, where he received a bachelor’s degree, and Temple University, where he received a master’s. He also attended the University of Delaware.
    An educator, George spent his career at Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology. He taught English and journalism and helped coach football. He made a strong impression on generations of students, many of whom stayed in touch with him long after they graduated. When he retired, he was the director of the Office of Admissions and Counseling. In 1997, the school awarded him an honorary doctorate.
    In retirement, George was a substitute teacher in the Manheim Township and Lancaster City school districts. He also volunteered as an instructor in a class on current affairs at Conestoga View and as a tour guide at Historic Rock Ford Plantation and North Museum.
    George liked to help others, despite his own serious ailments. (He suffered his first heart attack at age 38; doctors gave him months to live.) For this quality, he was nominated to be one of President George H.W. Bush’s “Thousand Points of Light.”
    George belonged to Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church in Lancaster. He was a Mason in Andrew H. Hershey Lodge, 43.
    Every morning, George would gather with fellow veterans for coffee and conversation at a McDonald’s. In the afternoon, he and his wife would go for drives around the Lancaster County countryside. Once a month, they and their friends would have a poker night.
    George’s intelligence had a restlessness to it. He enjoyed searching for facts in history and baseball. That led to wide reading. Growing up, his grandsons spent many happy hours leafing through his library.
    George had a love of language and passed that on to his sons and grandchildren. He wrote an autobiography and two novels. His son had one of the novels, a love story, published last Christmas. “This is the nicest gift anybody could get before dying,” George said upon unwrapping it. Always a tough guy, he was touched.
    He was tender, too. That was plain to see whenever he was with his grandchildren and great-grandchildren. They will miss his cheerful greeting – “Hey, buddy!” – and his elaborate handshakes. His colorful stories will live on through them.
    George and Martha’s elder son, Stephen J. Brody, died in 2000. He and his wife, Jo Anne, had four sons, Stephen G., husband of Julie A. and father of Lilian E. Brody, of Lancaster; Joseph R., husband of Rhonda L. and father of Alaina R. Brody, of Lititz; Michael A., husband of Marcie A. and father of Benjamin S. and Anthony W. Brody, of Lancaster; and C. John Brody, of Lancaster.
    In addition to his wife, George is survived by a son, Bruce A. Brody, of Springfield, Va., and Bruce’s children, Donald G. Brody, of Las Vegas, Nev.; Jennifer A., wife of Patrick Gould, of Honolulu, Hawaii; Mary G. Brody, John E. Brody and Joseph P. Brody, all at home.
    Jo Anne remarried in 2003 and is the wife of Ronald S. Plutnicki, whom George and Martha warmly welcomed into the family, along with Ronald’s children and grandchildren, Ryan C., husband of Molly L. Plutnicki, of Phoenix, Ariz.; Lisa M., wife of Peter G. and mother of Peter W., Kali M. and Corinne E. Coleman, of Naples, Fla.; and Eric M. Plutnicki, of Chicago.
    The viewing will be on Monday, from 9 to 11 a.m., with the funeral service to follow, at Charles F. Snyder Funeral Home & Chapel, 3110 Lititz Pike, Lititz, PA 17543.
    In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the George Brody Scholarship Fund at the Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology Alumni Association, 750 E. King St., Lancaster, PA 17602, or to Hospice of Lancaster County, 685 Good Drive, P.O. Box 4125, Lancaster, PA 17604. To send an online condolence or for more information, please visit www.snyderfuneralhome.com .
    I am looking for a few good sleuthers to help Missie find her sister--please, please, please bring your fresh ideas!!

    Deanna Merryfield:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58438


  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Julessleuther For This Useful Post:


  23. #237
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    southwest US
    Posts
    1,684
    This George Brody did not appear to have a middle name. As of the 1930 census he was living in Wilkes-Barre, PA with his parents. One thing I found interesting is that he had a brother, Zachary, who is not listed in the above obit, but is listed on the census. In the 1930 census Gabriel is not listed, nor is Euniss, so they must not have been born yet...still checking. (Benjamin was the oldest--He died in 2001 and his wife, Rose, died in Mar 2009)

    This George Brody's father, Thomas, was born in 1894 in the Syrian Arab Republic. (His race is listed as white, so he must not have been arab, however.) George's mother, Helen was born about 1896.

    Edit: Gabriel was born in 1924, so do not know why he is missing--the only one showing that age on the census is Paul--was Gabriel a twin? I have not found a birth record for Zachary, but I have not found it to be the middle name of any of the other kids either (thinking that maybe they called him by his middle name) Hmmm--Gabriel and Zachary must be the same person, because the obit says his parents had 10 children, and I cannot find anything on Zachary.
    Last edited by Julessleuther; 03-06-2010 at 11:51 PM.
    I am looking for a few good sleuthers to help Missie find her sister--please, please, please bring your fresh ideas!!

    Deanna Merryfield:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58438


  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Julessleuther For This Useful Post:


  25. #238
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Julessleuther View Post
    This George Brody did not appear to have a middle name. As of the 1930 census he was living in Wilkes-Barre, PA with his parents. One thing I found interesting is that he had a brother, Zachary, who is not listed in the above obit, but is listed on the census. In the 1930 census Gabriel is not listed, nor is Euniss, so they must not have been born yet...still checking. (Benjamin was the oldest--He died in 2001 and his wife, Rose, died in Mar 2009)

    This George Brody's father, Thomas, was born in 1894 in the Syrian Arab Republic. (His race is listed as white, so he must not have been arab, however.) George's mother, Helen was born about 1896.

    Edit: Gabriel was born in 1924, so do not know why he is missing--the only one showing that age on the census is Paul--was Gabriel a twin? I have not found a birth record for Zachary, but I have not found it to be the middle name of any of the other kids either (thinking that maybe they called him by his middle name) Hmmm--Gabriel and Zachary must be the same person, because the obit says his parents had 10 children, and I cannot find anything on Zachary.
    Hi Julessleuther,

    The other thing I found is, on the 1930 census there is another family of Brody's living in the same street. Parents are Samuel and Reba and they also have a son named George who is listed as 7yr old, which would make his birth year 1922 or 1923. IIRC GB claimed to be born in 1922.

    Both sets of parents were born in Syria and I am wondering if Thomas and Samuel might be cousins. I'm pretty sure that they are not brothers as Thomas arrived in the US in 1998 and Samuel arrived in 1908.

    The other thing of interest is that our GB claimed to have wealthy relatives living in the east and the GB in your link was an english and journalism teacher at what appears to be a pretty big college, so he was probably reasonably well off.

    The more I look at the pic's of the 2 GB's together, the more I think they might be related to each other.

    I definitely think this is worth looking in to further.

    Fantastic find Julessleuther.


  26. The Following User Says Thank You to OzzieMum For This Useful Post:


  27. #239
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    73,054
    Hey guys, lets keep in mind our GB has a birth year of either 1905 or 1906 based on the earlier articles raf found. I'm confused on the above because this GB born in 1918 would be far too young to be our GB, and his father born in 1894 too young to be our GB's father. Unless the elder (born 1894) had a brother or nephew born 1905 or 1906.

    I really don't see much resemblence. GB has a more triangle shaped nose, longer face and his ears stick out, while the GB in the above link has a square face, ears are closer to his head and he has a round 'santa claus' nose for lack of a better description.

    I couldn't figure out how to copy the picture from Jules link. Can someone copy the picture from the file so we can do a side by side?

    Last edited by Cubby; 03-07-2010 at 01:32 AM.


  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


  29. #240
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    73,054
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieMum View Post
    Did anyone get any further with the union involvement and the possibility that GB was a barber? I thought that was a really good theory.

    Quote Originally Posted by SideKick View Post
    Hi Cubby!

    Yes, I found that site to be pretty darn amazing!
    I wanted to add yet another site which is very detailed.


    Online Archive of California

    http://www.oac.cdlib.org/

    Typing in the AFL Oakland, I came up with this one: NOTE* Heaps and Heaps of info! Some is online, some one has to go to the archives -

    box-_folder 14/10Journeymen Barbers, Hairdressers & Cosmetologists, #134

    at this link:

    http://www.oac.cdlib.org/view?docId=tf1f59n4vt;query=AFL Barber's Union oakland;style=oac4;view=dsc#c01-1.7.6.21

    ~

    Also, http://www.library.sfsu.edu/about/depts/larc.php

    The Library of San Francisco Archives


    I left my sister two messages and she never got back to me about any union direction........

    and

    It looks like all those records are in a box in a library in Oakland, and I am no where near Oakland. Maybe someone close by the Oakland library can check into this.
    Last edited by Cubby; 03-07-2010 at 01:41 AM.


  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Theory #2: Family Abduction by George Waters with George Brody, Part 2
    By Dr. Doogie in forum Anna Christian Waters
    Replies: 435
    Last Post: 01-14-2012, 11:34 PM
  2. Who was George Brody?
    By Dr. Doogie in forum Anna Christian Waters Discussion Threads
    Replies: 717
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 12:15 AM
  3. ABC producer paid for George, Cindy Anthony to stay at the Ritz Part 2
    By Tricia in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 177
    Last Post: 02-22-2009, 07:22 PM
  4. Theory #2: Family Abduction by George Waters with George Brody and/or Associates
    By Dr. Doogie in forum Anna Christian Waters Discussion Threads
    Replies: 866
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 08:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •