Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

Research Assistant

Quote Originally Posted by SideKick View Post
    ~ Hey Ozziemum,
    I thought that too, do you think then GB was a 'Research Assistant working for a political party'? I guess that's pretty obvious isn't it? :-) So.. If this correct then wondering where he was employed with the Gov't? During tax time? During census collecting? Uhmmm.....
    I read the information this way:

GB reported that he worked as a Research Assistant
    GB reported that he wanted to vote as a Democrat

apparently on a form, or asked by someone filling out a form, to create a city directory or a census or something similar

Unless someone has more about that Research Assistant job, which would be a nice change!

Laughing

The website that these pictures were pulled from has a link to the researcher/web site owner. Has anyone contacted him with what we know to see if he might know anything about this George (GB)? I have been "away" from this case for a while and it would take me a while to re-familiarize myself enough to give him any useful info, but someone here might be more prepared? Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by Amy74; 04-14-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy74 View Post
    The website that these pictures were pulled from has a link to the researcher/web site owner. Has anyone contacted him with what we know to see if he might know anything about this George (GB)? I have been "away" from this case for a while and it would take me a while to re-familiarize myself enough to give him any useful info, but someone here might be more prepared? Just a suggestion.

The GB in those pictures died in Milwaukee. Info linked above, so we have ruled him out as possibly being our GB.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    The GB in those pictures died in Milwaukee. Info linked above, so we have ruled him out as possibly being our GB.
    I know, I'm the one who posted it, but since he has researched the Brody/Brodowski family extensively, I thought maybe he may have some info on another George Brody, or a long lost weird cousin who moved to California, etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Amy74 For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy74 View Post
    I know, I'm the one who posted it, but since he has researched the Brody/Brodowski family extensively, I thought maybe he may have some info on another George Brody, or a long lost weird cousin who moved to California, etc.
    Oh, ok. I got ya.

It would be interesting to know if our GB had ever spoken of any thoughts on Catholics. It appears the Brodowski/Brody family were strong catholics. I can speak from my own family's polish catholic history, that faith was incredibly strong back then. My grandfather had 3 female cousins who were sisters, all of whom were nuns.

If our GB had strong opposing views of the Catholic church than that which his family had he might be remembered more easily, due to his very opposing views of those in his family.

Otherwise I don't see or have any reason to believe GB came from a family with strong Catholic values. I don't recall any previous mention of GB's comments for or against any religion.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing View Post
    I read the information this way:

GB reported that he worked as a Research Assistant
    GB reported that he wanted to vote as a Democrat

apparently on a form, or asked by someone filling out a form, to create a city directory or a census or something similar

Unless someone has more about that Research Assistant job, which would be a nice change!

Laughing
    Ok, here is another spanner in the works.

Voter's Register:

1936 GB 483 9th St - Salesman - Dem
    1938 GB 430 Divisadero (Rd?) - Merchant - Dem
    1938 GB 534 12th St - Jr Research Assistant - Dem
    1940 GB 534 12th St - Jr Research Assistant - Dem (election was 5th Nov)
    1944 GB San Pablo Ave - Jr Research Assistant - Dem

Census:

1940 - GB 534 12th St - Laborer/construction (census taken 1st April 1940)

There appears to be 2 different GB's in the above voter's registers and this does not include the GB that was married to Margaret and lived at 2375 20th Ave in the 1927/28/30/32 and his employment was listed as Merchant in 1927/30/32 and a hardware dealer in 1928 (sound more like our GB than the Jr Research assistant).

The other strange thing is that the GB at 534 12th is listed on the census as a Laborer/construction on 1st April 1940 and then back to being a Jr Research Assistant in the voter's register on 5th Nov 1940 as he was in the voter's register for 1938 and 1944.

I am starting to think the the GB that was married to Margaret might be our man. The dates fit, he was with her from 1927 to 1932 then the GB from 483 9th St and 430 Divisadero show up and the employment records fit, merchant/salesman/hardware dealer. Did we ever have a death record for GB that married Margaret?

Raff, where did you find what address the 1940 census was for?

I hope all this makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzieMum View Post
    Ok, here is another spanner in the works.

Voter's Register:

1936 GB 483 9th St - Salesman - Dem
    1938 GB 430 Divisadero (Rd?) - Merchant - Dem
    1938 GB 534 12th St - Jr Research Assistant - Dem
    1940 GB 534 12th St - Jr Research Assistant - Dem (election was 5th Nov)
    1944 GB San Pablo Ave - Jr Research Assistant - Dem

Census:

1940 - GB 534 12th St - Laborer/construction (census taken 1st April 1940)

There appears to be 2 different GB's in the above voter's registers and this does not include the GB that was married to Margaret and lived at 2375 20th Ave in the 1927/28/30/32 and his employment was listed as Merchant in 1927/30/32 and a hardware dealer in 1928 (sound more like our GB than the Jr Research assistant).

The other strange thing is that the GB at 534 12th is listed on the census as a Laborer/construction on 1st April 1940 and then back to being a Jr Research Assistant in the voter's register on 5th Nov 1940 as he was in the voter's register for 1938 and 1944.

I am starting to think the the GB that was married to Margaret might be our man. The dates fit, he was with her from 1927 to 1932 then the GB from 483 9th St and 430 Divisadero show up and the employment records fit, merchant/salesman/hardware dealer. Did we ever have a death record for GB that married Margaret?

Raff, where did you find what address the 1940 census was for?

I hope all this makes sense.

Our Margaret was not in SF CA in 1927. Also, a death record exists for the SF GB married to Margaret. That is how he was ruled out in the first place.

Let me see if I can search and find that info and post it. BBS.
    ~JMO~

Copied from a closed thread since we can not quote from closed threads.

Orignally posted by Dr. Doogie 02/25/2008:

I finally recalled why this Brody & Margaret could not be the same as our GB and MK:

1) Margaret Kukoda was born in 1917, so the earliest mention of a Margaret in 1928 would have occured when Kukoda was only eleven. There are also references to George Brody and his wife Margaret in other states prior to 1928, so it is clear that they are two different sets of people.

2) We know from our talks with the Kukoda family that Margaret moved to San Francisco during World War II, which would mean probably around 1942, not circa 1928.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2012575&postcount=232"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Who was George Brody?[/ame]
    ~JMO~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

I didn't yet find info on the death record for the SF GB. I'm pretty sure it exists somewhere within the threads.

I hope the above information indicating our Margaret was only 10 in 1927 would be sufficiant to rule this couple out as opposed to trying to find the death record for the SF GB.

Also, what ages are the GB and MB in the 1940 census? IIRC this SF GB was much older than our GB.
    ~JMO~

I don't think GB lied to the census taker. I don't think he was really hiding at that time... he worked, he was registered to vote, went to court after being punched, he gave his info to city directories, gave what we believe to be his correct age, etc.

To all of you who are used to looking at census records, did anyone else find it odd that so many single men were listed in a row? I wonder if this was some sort of YMCA type place.

I forget which of the GB Oakland addresses I looked up in a newspaper search, but one of them was actually a church address as well as a residential location - it may have been a homeless shelter within the church or something. I don't recall if it was the 534 12th address or one of the others.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Odyssey For This Useful Post:

I thought perhaps it was an apartment style bording house. Bording houses or apartment houses with many single residents were not uncommon in the 30's and 40's.

I imagine a SF home with many rooms might also be converted into a bording house. I don't think occupancy limit laws were around in the 30's and 40's like they are today.

It really doesn't strike me as odd that a single male would choose to live in an area of other singles.
    Last edited by Cubby; 04-15-2012 at 03:17 AM.
    ~JMO~

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Copied from a closed thread since we can not quote from closed threads.

Orignally posted by Dr. Doogie 02/25/2008:

I finally recalled why this Brody & Margaret could not be the same as our GB and MK:

1) Margaret Kukoda was born in 1917, so the earliest mention of a Margaret in 1928 would have occured when Kukoda was only eleven. There are also references to George Brody and his wife Margaret in other states prior to 1928, so it is clear that they are two different sets of people.

2) We know from our talks with the Kukoda family that Margaret moved to San Francisco during World War II, which would mean probably around 1942, not circa 1928.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Who was George Brody?
    Hi Cubby,

I didn't think it was GB and MK, I thought it could be GB and an unknown Margaret however, I have found them in the 1930 census and this GB was born in 1890 so he is too old.

Anyway, it still appears that there are 2 other GB's in SF in the mid 30's to early 40's, the merchant and the Jr Research Assistant.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to OzzieMum For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    I don't think GB lied to the census taker. I don't think he was really hiding at that time... he worked, he was registered to vote, went to court after being punched, he gave his info to city directories, gave what we believe to be his correct age, etc.

To all of you who are used to looking at census records, did anyone else find it odd that so many single men were listed in a row? I wonder if this was some sort of YMCA type place.

I forget which of the GB Oakland addresses I looked up in a newspaper search, but one of them was actually a church address as well as a residential location - it may have been a homeless shelter within the church or something. I don't recall if it was the 534 12th address or one of the others.
    I agree Odyssey, I don't think he lied or had anything to hide in 1940 but he seems to have gone off the radar after that, maybe because of the war?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to OzzieMum For This Useful Post:

Hi Cubby,

I didn't think it was GB and MK, I thought it could be GB and an unknown Margaret however, I have found them in the 1930 census and this GB was born in 1890 so he is too old.

Anyway, it still appears that there are 2 other GB's in SF in the mid 30's to early 40's, the merchant and the Jr Research Assistant.

IIRC, the merchant is the GB born in 1890 married to a Margaret who is too old to be our GB.

There were two total, not 3 total. Dr. Doogie did much of this research several years back. If you do an advanced search with keywords and Dr. Doogie as the poster, you should be able to find more of that info.

hth
    ~JMO~

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

IIRC, the merchant is the GB born in 1890 married to a Margaret who is too old to be our GB.

There were two total, not 3 total. Dr. Doogie did much of this research several years back. If you do an advanced search with keywords and Dr. Doogie as the poster, you should be able to find more of that info.

hth
    So how can we explain why GB was a Jr research assistant in 1938 then a laborer on 1st April 1940, back to being a Jr research assistant on 5th Nov 1940 (census) and still a Jr research assistant in 1944. It doesn't make sense to me.

What jobs could you be a Jr research assistant in?

I agree Odyssey, I don't think he lied or had anything to hide in 1940 but he seems to have gone off the radar after that, maybe because of the war?

Annasmom had evidence of GB's location in the early 60's IIRC. prior to GB meeting GW. IIRC, someone Annasmom knew was the landlord who had rented to GB while Margaret Kukoda was still living and before she became ill leading to her hospitalization which led to GW meeting GB.

With regards to records on GB, there aren't many records online. As we all know, most records are in hard copy in libraries. We've never had anyone on the ground to go look up resources at the Oakland Library that aren't available online.

If we had a local WS member, outside of Anna's family, to go to the library and do the research, we might find GB wasn't that hard to find after all.
    Last edited by Cubby; 04-15-2012 at 02:50 AM.
    ~JMO~

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

So how can we explain why GB was a Jr research assistant in 1938 then a laborer on 1st April 1940, back to being a Jr research assistant on 5th Nov 1940 (census) and still a Jr research assistant in 1944. It doesn't make sense to me.

What jobs could you be a Jr research assistant in?

It's possible he held two jobs. Lots of people held two jobs over the years. If he listed more than one job, perhaps the records only had space to list one rather than 2 or more jobs.

The addresses are the same. The address listed in the 1940 census stating laborer is the same address listed for a GB with the research job.
    ~JMO~

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by raf View Post
    Hi all; we know that OUR George Brody was in Oakland from 1936-1944 and living:
    1936 Oakland George Brody, 483 9th - Salesman, Dem
    1938 Oakland George Brody, 534 12th - Jr. research assit. Dem
    1940 Oakland George Brody, 534 12th – Jr. research assit. Dem.
    1942 (Aug.) Oakland George Brody, 1724 San Pablo – Jr. research assit. Dem.
    1942 (Nov) Oakland George Brody, 2329 San Pablo – Jr. research assit. – Dem
    1944 Oakland George Brody, 2329 San Pablo – Jr. research assit, - Dem

and by newspaper article of 1941 (Oakland Tribune):

"Berkeley, 1941 Oct 2-Suspect freed of picket’s charge

It required a jury but 15 minutes to find Joseoh G Sgroe, 29, innocent of battery charges in connection with alleged assault on a ticket patroling in front on a barber shop at 1906 University Avenue last august 5.
    The case was heard in the court of Police judge Oliver Young jr.
    According in prosecution witness testimony, as Sgroe who lives at 1912 Sacramento st, was entering the barber shop he saw Picket George Brody, 3, the plaintiff, jot down his license number.
    Sgroe retraced his steps, the testimony said, and demanded the memo from Brody. When Brody turned his back. Sgroe slapped him in the face with such force that he spun him around, the testimony related.
    At this juncture, Brody, who lives at 1724 San Pablo Avenue, called for help. Patrolman B.W. Gocke responded."

and I believe that this George Brody is our guy. The wife was Margaret, nurse, born in NJ yes but the parents coming from Hungary

The GB born in Ohio and married at another Margaret born in NJ( parents born in NJ) and living in San Francisco in 1940 census as a well in 1930 census..
    I believe that they are other peoples...

It are several posts of WB members abt that ..
    Just my opinion...
    regards,
    raf

We had the address on 12th before the 1940 Census became available.

Also, construction/laborer jobs can be seasonal. They are not always steady work. It's possible when construction work was slow or unavailable GB picked up research work.
    ~JMO~

We had the address on 12th before the 1940 Census became available.

Also, construction/laborer jobs can be seasonal. They are not always steady work. It's possible when construction work was slow or unavailable GB picked up research work.
    He worked as a research assistant more than a laborer going by the voter's registers and you would think that with his ego he would want the research job on record rather than the laborer's job.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to OzzieMum For This Useful Post:

He worked as a research assistant more than a laborer going by the voter's registers and you would think that with his ego he would want the research job on record rather than the laborer's job.

We don't know that he had a choice. It could have been the census takers choice in listing which job if GB gave them two jobs.

Or if the construction work GB did was seasonal, on April 1st or whatever date in April the census was taken, it could have been during the busy construction season, thus the research job was only necessary during construction down times.

I don't know any construction workers or laborers who have steady work year round. Not in any industry, expect maybe union electricians. and even they get laid off during slow periods.
    ~JMO~

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

With regards to records on GB, there aren't many records online. As we all know, most records are in hard copy in libraries. We've never had anyone on the ground to go look up resources at the Oakland Library that aren't available online.

If we had a local WS member, outside of Anna's family, to go to the library and do the research, we might find GB wasn't that hard to find after all.[/QUOTE]

~~ Cubby, I can't agree enough. I think we've devoured the online GB's. If anyone lives on the west coast, an hour at the libray with.. an assistant from the libray may bring up a whole lot more on him. I think there is much more info on GB than we realize.
    Last edited by SideKick; 04-16-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: sp
    Anna Christian Waters Web Page
    www.searchingforanna.com

Anna Christian Water's WS Forum
    www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Search FB: Anna Christian Waters
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/annachristianwaters/

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SideKick For This Useful Post:

If we had a local WS member, outside of Anna's family, to go to the library and do the research, we might find GB wasn't that hard to find after all.

i love to research at the library but sadly i live on the East coast and have no plans to go back to california anytime soon but if i was i would stop in oakland and do some research for you.

Exclamation

~~ Cubby, I can't agree enough. I think we've devoured the online GB's. If anyone lives on the west coast, an hour at the libray with.. an assistant from the libray may bring up a whole lot more on him. I think there is much more info on GB than we realize

We need a local who will volunteer to do some library research on GB!
    Last edited by Cubby; 04-16-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: fix quote
    ~JMO~

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

This is a long shot, but this name might be anglicized or changed to Brody.

I found a George Brotkin born in Russia with a birth year of 1905.
    This is from the 1910 census.

Parents are Ike and Anna
    Siblings Ida F 7
    Harry M 9
    Izzie 1 yr 6 mo

Imm. 1907

Newark, Essex, NJ.

Can anyone with ancestry see if they can do some research on this George Brotkin? Has anyone looked at him previously?
    ~JMO~

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Annasmom had evidence of GB's location in the early 60's IIRC. prior to GB meeting GW. IIRC, someone Annasmom knew was the landlord who had rented to GB while Margaret Kukoda was still living and before she became ill leading to her hospitalization which led to GW meeting GB.

I actually don't live that far.. however, Oakland is a place I avoid. Unfortunately, there are shootings there almost daily. The Oakland Library website does state that librarians can do look-ups and scan images via email, although I have not had much luck getting a response.

I tried to request the court records for GB's incident with the union (it said he appeared in court) just to see the handwriting to be sure it was our GB, but got the runaround from the court as well.

If it were any city other than Oakland, I'd gladly go....

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Odyssey For This Useful Post:

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast