NJ NJ - Susan Davis & Elizabeth Perry, both 19, murdered, Somers Point, 30 May 1969

Reaction score
I never see any posts about these two girls found strangled and stabbed along the Garden State Parkway (mile post 31.9), near the Somers Point/Ocean City exit around Memorial Day 1969.

They have been identified, but the killer(s) have never been identified. There is some speculation that these were Ted Bundy's first kills.

The victims names are: Susan Davis and Elizabeth Perry, both 19 at the time.

I grew up in Phila., PA and remember hearing about this case.

Links:

http://www.shorenewstoday.com/news.php?id=3111

WWW.philly.com - 7/26/2009 - "Novel Revisits '69 Shore killings

Jurgo@phillynews.com

Im a Philly girl myself & have heard of them to but I beg to differ about Ted Bundy.
No way were these girls murdered by Bundy. He killed in Washington,Idaho,Colorado,Utah & Florida.He was never on the East Coast............in all the years & all the research this is just coming out now??? Im not buying it & sadly think trying to tie to something 'infamous'takes away from a real investigation.

I live about 45 minutes from there,and never heard of the case

There's speculation that a young neighbor of Bundy's was his first. Not to say that this one can't be connected either, since he did go clear across to Florida.

I live about 45 minutes from there,and never heard of the case
I have an elderly relative who lives full time down the shore(born & raised) & collects minute details of anything gruesome that happens down that way .She also phrases it within a "cautionary tale" at EVERY opportunity!

There is a new book out about this crime and possible Bundy links. However, I have read about the his link to these murders for years in various local papers.

"The Origins of Infamy" by Christian Barth.

Wow - I have the same kinds of memories. My sister was 19 years old at the time and visited the shore many times with her friends. This was the "Summer of LOVE." Boy did my parents use this as a cautionary tail for her. Thank God she is alive.

I was a menapause baby and was 11 years old at the time. I guess my Mom & Dad were having a second family or something like that.

Im a Philly girl myself & have heard of them to but I beg to differ about Ted Bundy.
No way were these girls murdered by Bundy. He killed in Washington,Idaho,Colorado,Utah & Florida.He was never on the East Coast............in all the years & all the research this is just coming out now??? Im not buying it & sadly think trying to tie to something 'infamous'takes away from a real investigation.

According to Ann Rule, he traveled the entire East Coast..that being said, I don't think he did these two murders..but both families believe he did...only one who knows for sure is Bundy

Interesting case for sure. These cases so close to my home are always of interest.

This crime was totally different than any of Bundy's known crimes.

Have Richard Cottingham and Joseph Kuklinski been ruled out? Given the timeframe, they're the first guys I'd look at.

There's also this interesting bit, almost a throwaway line in the Philly.com article linked above:

"The volunteer searcher who made the discovery said he was so upset he lost his voice for a while."

Does this strike anyone else as particularly odd? I can't put my finger on it but something about that detail raises my hackles and while I'm no cop, had I been on the case, I would have given this individual a good hard look.

It would be nice to at least have his name.

I was 20 at the time and remember it well. I've been living down in the Atlantic - Cape May County area since 1980. Still can't believe they can't solve this case. One more thing - 1967 was the "Summer of Love". 1969 was the year of the US putting a man on the moon AND Woodstock.. :)

I assure every one with doubts that this crime actually happened and Ted Bundy is the best suspect we have thus far. I am related to one of the two girls who were murdered in NJ, so any inference otherwise is highly offensive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back