Houston-area woman gives birth to sextuplets

jnTexas

Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
Reaction score
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090806_mh_stansel-sextuplets-born.b3c83a43.html

An Humble woman gave birth to six babies -- two boys and four girls -- Tuesday night.

HOUSTON CHRONICLE

Thomas and Amanda Stansel
The Stansel sextuplets were born more than four months early, and doctors at The Woman's Hospital of Texas say they are "very critical but stable at this time."

The babies weigh between 12.3 ounces and 1 pound, 2 ounces.

Amanda Stansel wasn't due until December, but their goal was to make it to September. Instead, she made it to 22 weeks and six days.

more at the link

http://www.stanseljourney.com/ the family's blog

I found another article. Sadly one of the boys has died. RIP lil guy!!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6563605.html

An Humble couple is mourning the death of one newborn and pulling desperately for five others after the birth of their sextuplets Tuesday night, fewer than six months into a complicated pregnancy.

The sextuplets came a day shy 23 weeks — the date doctors call the bare minimum to keep the babies safe outside the womb.

They posted the babies' names — Kaitlyn Amanda, Ashlyn Louise, Rachel Diane, Haley Karin, Braden Thomas and Dallin Cory — along with a memorial to Dallin.

“Our precious son battled, fought and finally the good Lord took him home around 9:30 this morning,” Amanda wrote. “All the other children are still fighting hard.”

Late Thursday, the couple posted anxious Twitter updates: “Waiting for a report on Ashlyn who went into surgery,” and “Kaitlyn most likely may be next for surgery

According to their twitter updates, both girls have come through the surgery okay.

Very sad about Dillan.

It will be a tough road ahead, but I will be praying for all of them.

:( How sad. I was just thinking: Jon and Kate need to read this story and see just how lucky they were to have carried and given birth to six babies at once. I know it's way OT but I had to say it.

My prayers to the family. Grow strong little ones.

Beat me up if you would like. I really don't give a damn. I'm sick and tired of women striving to have litters of babies. This is a disgusting and needs to be stopped. If laws are not in place to control Litters of babies, then there needs to be one legalized. Totally disgusting. 99.99% of the time, government services are expected to support the woman, and babies as well as any other babies that are born. IMO, a reward for having sex and reproducing without any responsibility or accountability. The mother needs to be immediately sterilized.

They have lost two more of the babies. There is now just 3 girls living.

This is so sad. There should be new laws against how many embryos a DR can implant. These poor children have been through so much.

http://stanseljourney.blogspot.com/2009/08/braden-thomas-stansel.html

Just like most of these super-multiples, they were not implanted (the Octo-Mom is a rare exception). They used ovulation stimulation to increase the odds that she would ovulate, and artificial insemination. My guess is that there were problems with both husband and wife - she wasn't ovulating and his swimmers weren't swimming.

I agree that infertility clinics should be better regulated, but it is still such an unpredictable thing when using these drugs. One month can be totally different from the next (just like when getting pregnant naturally).

How do you legislate mandatory abortions once a woman becomes pregnant with more embryos than anyone ever expected? That would never fly. It's beyond unethical and immoral - it's outrageous to the point that the pro-life and the pro-choice groups would agree on something! Quite the accomplishment.

Tragic, really. I wish science would catch up to what we women expect from our bodies.

It doesn't help that the media set a precedent of fame and fortune for couples who can produce litters. For many the gains are worthwhile despite the pesky popparazzi and loss of a personal life. -- At least they think so before they get themselves into an inexcapable pickle!

With all due respect to this couple, I don't think they are in it for the fame and fortune. I have been reading their blog, and they lost twin boys at 18 weeks. I also don't think they had IVF. I think she took fertility drugs to stimulate her ovaries and then she was artifically inseminated with her husband's sperm, and that's how they ended up the with sextuplets. Sadly, they have lost both both boys and one daughter out of the six. My deepest sympathies are with them. One thing is for sure, they aren't acting like the Octo-Nut.

They seem like a couple that just wanted children. Hopefully, no more of the babies will be lost.

JMO

From jnTexas link:
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090806_mh_stansel-sextuplets-born.b3c83a43.html

~snipped, BBM~
"Amanda underwent fertility treatments after having trouble conceiving because she is diabetic and a thyroid cancer survivor.

Two previous pregnancies ended in miscarriages, but the couple was cautiously hopeful when they learned Amanda was pregnant again in March.

An ultrasound confirmed there were six babies growing in her expanding belly.

“It was definitely a surprise. There were only two eggs that were supposed to mature,” Thomas, 31, told the Houston Chronicle in a June interview. “Nobody plans for six, but we’re here and we’ll make the best of it.”"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back