CA CA - Montrose, Fem Skeletal 581UFCA, 15-25, off Angeles Crest Hwy, Jul'71

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://doenetwork.org/cases/581ufca.html

Unidentified Female

• The victim was discovered on July 11, 1971 in Montrose, Los Angeles County, California
  • Estimated Date of Death: approximately seven months
  • State of Remains: Skeletal
Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 15 - 25 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5' 8"; 130 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Race undetermined. Kinky black/brown/reddish hair. Long tapered fingers; long feet; manicured fingernails.
  • Clothing: Orange/yellow skirt, 27" at waist, 34" at hip, 22" in length; full 34" white slip, lace trim; white turtle neck knit sweater, 14 1/2" shoulder to shoulder; white 34 A bra, Loveable brand; white socks, possible thermal or athletic.
  • Jewelry: 1957 Bulova ladies watch. Yellow metal case with yellow metal expansion band with broken link. Serial number T 556641.
  • Fingerprints: Not Available
  • Dentals: Available. Full set of teeth; slight gap in top front teeth. She had Torus palatinus that is a bony growth on the palate
Case History
The Victim was located approximately fifty feet down an embankment from the north side Angeles Crest Highway 1/4 mile West of Red Box Canyon Ranger Station, in Montrose, California on July 11, 1971.

Namus has totally diff. info on her, most troublesome the age range.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/3002

wonder which was updated more recently?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/275dfca.html
matches on height and weight and her photos show a slight gap in her front teeth. timeline also right on.

i wonder if she has been ruled out?

the clothes are different and it is a considerable mileage difference between two locations....

I thought about her immediately as well, however she's a blonde, UID had kinky red/brown/black hair. Of course hair dye is a possibility, but that is usually noticeable and noted in descriptives.

Namus has totally diff. info on her, most troublesome the age range.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/3002

wonder which was updated more recently?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/275dfca.html
matches on height and weight and her photos show a slight gap in her front teeth. timeline also right on.

i wonder if she has been ruled out?

the clothes are different and it is a considerable mileage difference between two locations....

I wonder if Eastin was ever ruled out, most of the stats match up.

I can't tell from the size of the photos on Doe Network, but are her clothes cut up? Especially her skirt.

More likely just deteriorated from being exposed to the weather. But I did wonder about the skirt since it says 22" skirt but 34" slip, which seems too long for that skirt.

That's what I would normally assume, but that long, vertical slice in the skirt looks way too straight to be a tear or from weather. It looks like either a deliberate cut, or a zipper that's open, but the photo is too small to tell. It's probably the zipper, but I was hoping someone might be able to see better.

More likely just deteriorated from being exposed to the weather. But I did wonder about the skirt since it says 22" skirt but 34" slip, which seems too long for that skirt.

Full slips are sized by bust measurement, so she would've had a 34" bust and 22" waist. Small by modern standards but not out of the ordinary back then.

I think maybe it's where the seam fell apart because the thread had deteriorated?

Or possibly they had to slice it to remove it during the autopsy.

I think sidneyla might be right about the slip, but the skirt is definitely the length because they record waist, hip, and length: skirt, 27" at waist, 34" at hip, 22" in length http://doenetwork.org/cases/581ufca.html

I think the skirt is unzipped.

Would multicolored hair have been in style at the time this doe was alive? I notice she has black/brown/red hair and I wonder if that's dye/highlights or sun fading. If sun fading, could give clues to her race.

The short answer is yes. Streaking, highlighting, and frosting were very popular. And there was a punk scene, too, with the same sorts of wild colored hair and styles that you see today. Bleaching was very popular.

Afros, either natural or permed, were starting to come into style by then. Long hair was becoming more popular but there were a lot of shorter styles as well.

Her outfit would have looked kind of like the one French singer Francoise Hardy is wearing here.

Attachments

• francoise hardy.png
    francoise hardy.png
    211 KB · Views: 60
Bumping for this Jane Doe. The Help ID Me FB featured her case on 07/06/2017. Nothing new, sadly.

On July 11, 1971, the skeletal remains of an unidentified female were found down an embankment off the Angeles Crest Highway, ¼ mile west of the Red Box Canyon Ranger Station in Montrose, California. Based on the condition of the remains, it is believed she could have been deceased for up to one year prior to recovery.The Jane Doe is believed to be between 15 and 25 years of age.
Her race is unknown. Her hair is described as "kinky" and "multicolored" (red, brown and black). She had long manicured fingernails and a gap between her upper front teeth which would have been noticeable to her family and friends.

She was found wearing an orange/yellow skirt with a 27" waist and 34" hip, a full 34", a white slip with lace trim, a white short sleeve turtleneck sweater, and white socks. Based on her clothing sizes, she may have appeared tall and thin.

She was also found wearing a yellow metal 1957 "Bulova" brand ladies watch. The watch had a yellow metal expansion band with a broken link and bore serial number T556641.

Christine Betty Moore was just added recently to NamUs and Charley.

moore_christine.jpg

http://charleyproject.org/case/christine-betty-moore

She looks pretty good as a possible for this Jane Doe:

At 35 years old, she is a little too old for the Jane Doe's age estimate (15-25), but the particulars are reasonably close.

*****Christine B MooreJane Doe UP3002Comparison
3515-25Above Range
Height:​
5'3" to 5'8" (per DoeNet)5'8"Within Range
Hair Color:​
BrownBrown w/ Red & BlackPossibly Consistent
Date LKA/Discovery Date:​
1-May-197111-Jul-1971 (PM Interval 8-12 Months)2 Months
Loc LKA/Discovery Loc:​
McFarland CAMontrose CA130 Miles

What is especially intriguing is the description of the Jane Doe having a slight gap between her front teeth.

919ae976-a84a-4eca-a4ed-475fbb6067db.jpg

I wonder if this Jane Doe had Marfan's syndrome, DN mentions long fingers and feet.
CarlK, do you know if her remains were cremated? You'd mentioned previously CA did that a lot to unidentified remains.

I wonder if this Jane Doe had Marfan's syndrome, DN mentions long fingers and feet.
CarlK, do you know if her remains were cremated? You'd mentioned previously CA did that a lot to unidentified remains.

Yes, they probably were, as are all unidentified bodies in Los Angeles County.

@Caring1 could you post the exclusion list for this NamUs jane doe? I'm from the United States so I can't see what person has been compared to this unidentified woman.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back