1046 users online (260 members and 786 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Young girl jailed

This young thirteen year old runaway was jailed for at least a couple of weeks as a seventeen year old for shoplifting. The girl at first said she was fourteen but this was ignored. I question why even a 17 year old would be jailed in this way without some sort of help involved for the kid. Thank goodness an inmate recognized the girl and called her family, but she was released and is still a runaway.

http://www.star-telegram.com/448/story/1525319.html

After reading the story, I don't know how much sympathy I have for the runaway girl. She gave a false name and age. I read nothing that stated she told officers her real age. The officer checked juvenile records but found no record of her arrest. Meanwhile an INMATE recognized her?

I'm with Trino on this one. Had the girl given her true name and age, it could have been easily checked, as she was in the system, but she didn't. I'm sorry, but I don't think it is anywhere near feasible to expect arresting officers to do a complete fingerprint/dna check on everyone who gets arrested, especially on minor crimes like shoplifting. I have yet to read where this girl, in the two weeks she was in jail, tried to tell anyone who she really was.
    Lanie

Where are her parents? So an inmate who's friends with the girl's father recognized her? What kind of company does her family keep?
    "The cure for crime is not the electric chair, but the high chair."

-J. Edgar Hoover

Too bad for her. Maybe it will teach her a lesson. Probably the safest place she had been in a long time! Hope the cop doesn't get in trouble.

She might have used a fake name and age because she didn't want to go home.

Here is another version of the story which includes a TV report.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-bea...-52617857.html

Quote Originally Posted by Openmind View Post
    Here is another version of the story which includes a TV report.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-bea...-52617857.html
    That certainly is another version of the events. She IDed herself as a 13 yr old to LE?
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    That certainly is another version of the events. She IDed herself as a 13 yr old to LE?
    Her father told the Dallas Morning News that a 13-year-old doesn't belong in jail alongside adults.
    "They could have killed her," he said. "Something bad could have happened. She doesn't look 17. She looks 13, and I wonder why they didn't see that."

True, but....

She was released from custody July 23 and is again listed as a runaway.
    Since she is now a runaway again, she could be in danger from those she is associating with such as the 20 year old that she was shoplifting with.

Th police made a serious error, but I imagine the LE didn't know how to confirm or deny her age claim. She obviously would rather be in jail than go home. That is also very concerning.