Boy, 11, dies after being stranded five days

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this article.

http://www.sbsun.com/breakingnews/ci_13011735

Posted: 08/07/2009 07:46:15 AM PDT

...Sheriff's officials said the boy and his 22-year-old mother, neither of whom have been identified, left their Las Vegas home on Saturday for a one-night camping trip to Death Valley...

...A family member reported them missing Thursday and Las Vegas police called and asked a National Parks Service ranger to check the area...

...When the ranger found them, the boy had died. The 24 bottles of water, cheese sandwhiches and Pop Tarts the woman had packed had all been consumed...

...The mother was flown to Sunrise Medical Center in Las Vegas to be checked out. She had no apparent injuries...

The article further states that an autopsy will be conducted in the next few days to determine cause of death for the little boy.

His Mother said he had died the day before they were found.

Rest in Peace little one. The desert can be a very dangerous place.

ETA: I edited the age of Carlos to 11 yrs old. It was incorrectly reported initially.

That is so tragic. Poor baby and found one day late.

This does not feel right.

It didn't feel right to me for some reason also believe. If it is proven to be an accidental death then I will accept that explanation and move on.

We just don't have enough facts as of yet.

Death Valley is not someplace to go for an overnight camping trip if you are inexperienced with desert camping. If you are experienced, that is far too few provisions needed for two people.

In any case, a young child has died and I just wanted to bring it here so that we can follow his death to the conclusion.

This does not feel right.

GONG GONG GONG!!! thats the sound of my hinky meter going off :(

who would go camping in death valley in august? with a child?

dont work for me....

dont work for me....

You could be right but people do bizarre and irrational things all the time.
|

dont work for me....

How about with two children? My parents did it--in August. I hated DV and couldn't wait to get out of there. It just had some seriously baaaaad energy. I didn't understand what I was feeling then, but I do now.

12 bottles of water each, plus sandwiches and pastries, could sustain a 22yo woman but not a 6yo boy?

Something doesn't add up there.

I agree she either made the worst judgement call of her life due to inexperience, or there is something more here.

If it is proven to be a bad judgement call, she will carry that with her for the rest of her life. I dont' wish that on anyone.

We will have to wait for the autopsy.

This sounds awful, but, how sick is/was the mother? because I have a baby, well a toddler... but anyway, I would give him my blood, urine any fluid I had to keep him alive.

There is just no way...

I hate to automatically assume the mother did something but I have to admit after I read that she survived and he did not I have to wonder if she didnt plan the whole thing. I sure hope not and if I am wrong God forgive me.

I hate to automatically assume the mother did something but I have to admit after I read that she survived and he did not I have to wonder if she didnt plan the whole thing. I sure hope not and if I am wrong God forgive me.

I'm wondering if it could only be a character thing: this Las Vegas mom was only 16 when she gave birth to her son. Did she put his need for provisions above hers? Or did he suffer because she consumed his share?

Then again, is the mom a known desert camper? What would give her the idea to go camping alone with her young son in a dangerous desert without a backup plan?

WTF??

From the Death Valley National Park website:

Death Valley is generally sunny, dry, and clear throughout the year. The winters, November through March, are mild with occasional winter storms, but summers are extremely hot and dry. Summer high temperatures commonly run above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Comfortable clothing providing sun protection and a broad brimmed hat are recommended in summer. Winter requires warmer clothing and light to medium jackets. Sturdy walking shoes are important year round.

What was she thinking? Whenever you watch the weather they always say..AND the hottest part of the country was DEATH VALLEY.........
Poor little boy. What a horrible death. May he rest in Peace!

12 bottles of water each, plus sandwiches and pastries, could sustain a 22yo woman but not a 6yo boy?

Something doesn't add up there.

12 bottles of water could not sustain a 6 year old boy for 5 days in Death Valley. It couldn't even sustain him for 2 days.

Waitasec - stranded? How were they stranded? How did they get there, on foot?

Or did they drive and the car died?

I would think that if they drove there, they'd leave once the food & water was exhausted.

Am I missing something here?

Waitasec - stranded? How were they stranded? How did they get there, on foot?

Or did they drive and the car died?

I would think that if they drove there, they'd leave once the food & water was exhausted.

Am I missing something here?

Apparently, the car was stuck in sand.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unimog