How to Use the Prt Scrn Key to Capture Screenshots

Knox

Reaction score
Thought I would share this ...

There is a use for that Prt Scrn key in the upper right corner of your keyboard. You know the key you push and nothing seems to happen. Well, something IS happening. Each time you press that key, it captures the screen that is on your desktop and puts it on your clipboard. You can then edit and manipulate that image.

Now that you have pressed the Prt Scrn key, open the MS Paint located in the Accessories section of your Start menu. Go to Edit and select Paste or Ctrl + v. Your screen shot will then be pasted in to the MS Paint program. You can now crop out the area you want by selecting the dashed-box tool on the left hand side. Highlight the area you want, then go to Edit and Cut. You can now go to the menu and select New. It will ask if you want to save the original. Just say no and a blank workspace will appear again. Go back to Edit and Paste again. Now, only the cropped area appears. You can save this as a jpeg file, or whatever format you need.

There is a use for that Prt Scrn key in the upper right corner of your keyboard. You know the key you push and nothing seems to happen. Well, something IS happening. Each time you press that key, it captures the screen that is on your desktop and puts it on your clipboard. You can then edit and manipulate that image.

Now that you have pressed the Prt Scrn key, open the MS Paint located in the Accessories section of your Start menu. Go to Edit and select Paste or Ctrl + v. Your screen shot will then be pasted in to the MS Paint program. You can now crop out the area you want by selecting the dashed-box tool on the left hand side. Highlight the area you want, then go to Edit and Cut. You can now go to the menu and select New. It will ask if you want to save the original. Just say no and a blank workspace will appear again. Go back to Edit and Paste again. Now, only the cropped area appears. You can save this as a jpeg file, or whatever format you need.

Just FYI....I have Vista and tried this a bunch of times, wouldn't work....apparently Vista has a tool in the "Accessories" area in the "Start" menu...it's called a "Snipping Tool"....lets you copy whole page...parts...free style pieces, etc. When you click on it a small box comes up.......right click on "New".....by playin around and picking different shapes, you can see what it does and how to work it the way you want..

There is/was also a freebie program called "printkey". I don't know if it's been updated or not. I use the version that's probably 10 years old and it's amazing. You can either save as file or print directly -- either the entire screen or what you select.

PM me and we can probably work something out for me to send it to you. We used it in a government agency so I don't that it's legal.

Just FYI....I have Vista and tried this a bunch of times, wouldn't work....apparently Vista has a tool in the "Accessories" area in the "Start" menu...it's called a "Snipping Tool"....lets you copy whole page...parts...free style pieces, etc. When you click on it a small box comes up.......right click on "New".....by playin around and picking different shapes, you can see what it does and how to work it the way you want..

I have Vista, too, and it works for me. I follow other steps and it might make the difference for you MTG. I follow the first part of those directions but the section I bolded in red is the part I do differently.

1) after selecting the dashed-box tool on the left hand side and outlining the area wanted
2) click on 'image' at the tool bar and choose 'crop' in the drop down window
3) the image will automatically appear and the unwanted section will be erased
4) the image can be saved as a jpeg by clicking on 'File' at the tool bar and then choosing 'Save As'
5) another box will show up and a title or name needs to be given and then saved

Hope that helps...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back