Kilometres for Kids

August 5, 2009 - Rodney leaves family, friends and media behind in order to start his journey in little Tori's honour. Good luck, Rodney!

August 6, 2009 - Rodney bikes 128 KM today!

August 8, 2009 - Purple is everywhere!

Also some folks have asked what cities he plans to go through on the trip. Here they are. I hope people can come out and show their support.

Sudbury

Sault Ste. Marie

Kenora

Winnepeg

Brandon

Regina

Saskatoon

Edmonton

Jasper​

Special thanks to Whitney, Mom, Randi, Steve, and Emma for the surprise visits along my journey. Spread the word and let's make a difference in Canada, if not the world.

Heading out again soon, Tori, if your listening, I'll continue to ride the front of the seat so you can sit with me. I Love You Daryn, and Daddy will talk to you again soon. Thank you ALL!!!!

http://www.eye-zon.com/EyezonBlack20090213/Kilometres_For_Kids/Entries/2009/8/9_Update.html

Does anyone know if there is a time line as to when Rodney is hoping to reach each of the cities on his route? I would love to great him in Edmonton.

Does anyone know if there is a time line as to when Rodney is hoping to reach each of the cities on his route? I would love to great him in Edmonton.

No, CA, he doesn't even know himself.

Originally he aimed to be at the end in early September. But he posted on his blog the other day, that he was aiming too quick, and that was not the purpose of his journey. I am sure there will be lots of warning on his blog.

Keep checking here, I will be updating key events.

Snipped

Also some folks have asked what cities he plans to go through on the trip. Here they are. I hope people can come out and show their support.

Thanks, Turbododger! Been looking for this info for a couple of weeks. Rodney will be going through my city. I will try to be there.

Rodney is making good progress today and is a bit south of North Bay, Ontario. Hopefully he'll find a big fat fluffy bed in "The Bay" tonite.

As per Rodney's page at Eye-zOn, for those wishing to donate to his ride in Tori's name, donations can be made as follows:

Send cheque or money order to:

Child Find Ontario
440A Britannia Road East
Mississauga, ON, Canada
L4Z 1X9

Please make notation: Tori Stafford/Kilometers for Kids

Or

Visa, MasterCard or American Express, call 1-800-447-6047 (don't know if this is Canada only)

Or

A direct deposit into the Kilometers for Kids account at any branch of TD Canada Trust:

transit # 0227
account # 5210920.
Kilometers for Kids

Rodney Stafford knows he can't bring his daughter, Victoria, back to life.
But with every kilometre he pedals on his Kilometres for Kids cross-country ride, the Woodstock man is keeping his little girl's memory alive, while helping to keep other youngsters safe.

"For me, to know that what I'm doing will help protect other children like Tori, that's enough for me," said Stafford, leaning on his bike in the parking lot of the downtown Barrie McDonalds, yesterday. "This was an idea my 11-year-old son and I had, to take a ride in (Tori's) memory and take as long as it took."

Although his son was unable to make the journey, Stafford, 33, strapped on his helmet and mounted his 27-speed bicycle to carry out the feat of biking more than 3,400 kilometres from Woodstock to Alberta in Tori's honour.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1689220http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090808/tori_stafford_090808/20090808?hub=Toronto

ec4b999043c5ade0c536e5a9b4fa.jpg

FOR TORI: Rodney Stafford (right) chats with Huntsville town councillor Fran Coleman (left) and resident Karen Schamehorn during a stop in Huntsville on Monday. Stafford is on a cross-country cycling tour in memory of his daughter Victoria, who was abducted from her school in Woodstock, Ontario in April and later found murdered. He is also raising funds and awareness through the trip for Child Find Canada.

Called Kilometres for Kids, he said the trip initially began as something for himself, his son and his girlfriend to do together as a way to say goodbye to his daughter.

“It was just a way to go out there and release balloons, say goodbye to Victoria. It wasn’t supposed to be anything big,” Stafford told this newspaper. “But then my son couldn’t get permission to come and my girlfriend felt she couldn’t make it so it ended up becoming myself so I figured, what the heck, I’m doing it anyways, I might as well do it for a purpose.”

Stafford then connected with Child Find and Eye-zOn, a GPS tracking company that allows anyone to follow his progress online, which will follow him as he makes his way from Woodstock to Edmonton, Alberta.

Never an avid cyclist, Stafford said the trip has been “a little rough here and there,” but the support he’s received in the communities along the way has gone a long way to encourage him.

“Every fifth car honks or waves and you have vehicles pulling over and taking pictures and clapping and cheering me on. It makes you feel really good,” he said.

http://www.huntsvilleforester.com/article/142887

So we spent the day in Gravenhurst yesterday, and I ran into a great lady with a bunch of PR connections all over the area. We talked about what I’m doing, and she got in touch with Huntsville radio station Moose FM. That led to us meeting Fran Coleman, the Deputy Mayor of Huntsville, and she sat with us for a good portion of the afternoon. We raised over $1500 in this great little town, so I sure hope the cities along the way show the same amazing generosity as Huntsville. Next stop, North Bay, and we’re hoping for similar results.

I really want to acknowledge the kindness of the people I’m meeting every day. I feel it’s an honour to be able to bring Victoria’s story to folks this way, and get the feedback and support I’m getting.

http://www.eye-zon.com/EyezonBlack20090213/Kilometres_For_Kids/Entries/2009/8/10_Entry_1.html

Okay, sleuthers, let's help Rodney get some publicity.

We need to dig up some email contacts for media along Rodney's route, we can do an email campaign!

We should do up some sort of media release page up to send with the email. I wonder if Rodney already has one? I think I will post a message on his blog and see if he does.

I watched the 11pm news tonight (last night) on the National news and TLM's lawyer said that she had so much information to go through that they have asked the date be put off until Oct. 1st. I don't remember her exact words but I know she did say "videos, pictures and other documents" being evidence. We know the obvious video of the abduction...hmm, wonder if there's more than one video. Here is a link but it does not specify those words she used in her statement to the press. Maybe I didn't search hard enough, but I'm disappointed that it seems all reports read the same. Hope reporters have not lost interest in this case.

Also when I was googling for this info, I came upon the FB site 'no plea bargain for TLM'. WOW over 23,000 members.

http://www.630ched.com/News/National/article.aspx?id=133644

Okay, sleuthers, let's help Rodney get some publicity.

We need to dig up some email contacts for media along Rodney's route, we can do an email campaign!

We should do up some sort of media release page up to send with the email. I wonder if Rodney already has one? I think I will post a message on his blog and see if he does.

YAY Turbo! Great idea. I was on the site where you can track Rodney on his journey and sad to see that there is only $209.00 in donations. I realized that this amount is only based on donations that have come through to ChildFind, but still.:confused: He definately does need more media coverage. So sad. I have only seen his first day covered by the media. More awareness, more $, more pride for Rodney. Thanx Turbo, you're a Dear! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::woohoo:I'd help you in this area but I'm totally stumped as to where to begin.

YAY Turbo! Great idea. I was on the site where you can track Rodney on his journey and sad to see that there is only $209.00 in donations. I realized that this amount is only based on donations that have come through to ChildFind, but still.:confused: He definately does need more media coverage. So sad. I have only seen his first day covered by the media. More awareness, more $, more pride for Rodney. Thanx Turbo, you're a Dear! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::woohoo:I'd help you in this area but I'm totally stumped as to where to begin.

NOooo CJ ... That $209.00 is only what has been donated by Eye-zOn from the sale of their GPS tracker units (10% from the sale of each $249.00 unit is being donated to KfK). Last I heard, RS has already raised $15,000 for Child Find Ontario through KfK ... and that was at least 3 or 4 days ago.

Rodney's interview with a North Bay reporter, Weds, August 12. There are 4 video clips.

http://www.baytoday.ca/content/news/details.asp?c=32802

I feel the reporter's last question to Rodney was exceptionally insensitive, and it was obviously very emotional for him to respond.

Thanks for the link. I completely agree the last question was insensitive!

Prayers and wishes are with you Rodney on your incredible journey!

August 5, 2009 - Rodney leaves family, friends and media behind in order to start his journey in little Tori's honour. Good luck, Rodney!

August 6, 2009 - Rodney bikes 128 KM today!

August 8, 2009 - Purple is everywhere!

Sudbury

Sault Ste. Marie

Kenora

Winnepeg

Brandon

Regina

Saskatoon

Edmonton

Jasper​

Does anyone have connections in these cities? I wonder if us Sleuthers called ahead and made local media and radio/tv more aware that he is on the way....just an idea of how we could help out.

Turbo I just read your post (#13) after posting this....great minds think alike!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back