Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: MTR Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by antiquegirl View Post
    My only reservation about this paternity theory is why an unmarried woman would give her baby the biological father's surname (if this is even possible?), especially if the father never wanted anything to do with them. Aren't newborns automatically given the mother's last name until they are adopted by a father? I'll try to check on this. JMO

This is just my experience but it happened in Ontario. I don't think they have to be "adopted" by a father but the father has to sign the birth registration card. When my son was born, I wanted his last name to be hyphenated even though his Dad and I aren't (and never were) married. His father and I both signed the registration card I was given at the hospital. I mailed it in and then got my son's birth certificate.

I don't have any experience with anyone wanting to give a father's last name if the father doesn't want to sign the registration card so I can't speak to that.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brighidin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bleedingheart View Post
    http://www.lfpress.ca/newsstand/News...0/9510571.html
    As this link states, RE: TLM helps Mr escape. How and when was she able to do this?? Anyone know?? And where did he escape to??
    I take this to read as in escape the area, which we now know to be where Tori was found....
    Just my, no one elses

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~greeneyedgirl~ For This Useful Post:

My only reservation about this paternity theory is why an unmarried woman would give her baby the biological father's surname (if this is even possible?), especially if the father never wanted anything to do with them. Aren't newborns automatically given the mother's last name until they are adopted by a father? I'll try to check on this. JMO
    I was unmarried when my first child was born, the hospital gave him my name but I was able to put whatever name I wanted on his birth cert, my son has his dad's last name and we weren't even together at the time........

sorry didn't see this answered already....
    Just my, no one elses

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~greeneyedgirl~ For This Useful Post:

Do we know for sure that she was never legally married to MR's father?

I too am under the impression that the mother can put down the name of the bio father (without a signature from him) and take the name.

If they were not married and the mother was to do this and then seek financial assistance from the "father" it would be up to him to prove that he is not and have his name removed.

If we are talking about the TB guy - he certainly would not be the first to get a girl pregnant while he was in university and hightail it out of the country for a while. JMO

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nonfictionrocks For This Useful Post:

I think it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Most people who I know that had children when they weren't married gave the child the father's name. Nowadays I think a lot of kids have both names hyphenated.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxfactor For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by maxfactor View Post
    I think it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Most people who I know that had children when they weren't married gave the child the father's name. Nowadays I think a lot of kids have both names hyphenated.
    Even if they weren't in a relationship by then? (Or maybe it was a one-night stand?) Just wondering.

Okay, sorry, I only read one post before I wrote this. So, I guess anything goes. I have no experience with this. Thanks for everyone's input.
    Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument. - William E. Gladstone

12. The Following User Says Thank You to antiquegirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by maxfactor View Post
    I think DC has said that neither she or MTR's mother knew of his whereabouts that day. Maybe LE had already been keeping an eye on him and knew where he was.

Yes you might be right. If DC/Mom did not know his whereabouts and he was arrested at the gym we can hypothesis a few things. LE were tailing him and they were waiting for the go ahead to arrest him, which would make me think they were waiting to retrieve a certain piece of evidence. Something that would give the crown reason to charge him. Whatever info they had to bring him in on Friday was not strong enough for them to arrest him on the spot and or charge him. So they possibly found something on the day he was arrested. The cops were probably following him to ensure he did not flee until they could find something to substantiate TLM's claims. This is why I believe LE does have some type of evidence other than hearsay against MTR. There is no way that they would have even arrested him on TLM's words alone. If that was the case then we should all fear for our freedom since anyone could accuse us of something so horrnedous and have us arrested without any substantial evidence. The police must show some kind of reason before the crown would agree to charges. Also considering his charges went up instead of being reduced would lead me to believe that they have more than enough to bring to court.
    Sympathy is prejudice disguised as pity.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alison For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Yes you might be right. If DC/Mom did not know his whereabouts and he was arrested at the gym we can hypothesis a few things. LE were tailing him and they were waiting for the go ahead to arrest him, which would make me think they were waiting to retrieve a certain piece of evidence. Something that would give the crown reason to charge him. Whatever info they had to bring him in on Friday was not strong enough for them to arrest him on the spot and or charge him. So they possibly found something on the day he was arrested. The cops were probably following him to ensure he did not flee until they could find something to substantiate TLM's claims. This is why I believe LE does have some type of evidence other than hearsay against MTR. There is no way that they would have even arrested him on TLM's words alone. If that was the case then we should all fear for our freedom since anyone could accuse us of something so horrnedous and have us arrested without any substantial evidence. The police must show some kind of reason before the crown would agree to charges. Also considering his charges went up instead of being reduced would lead me to believe that they have more than enough to bring to court.
    I've been told by a lawyer that LE needs only the slimmest suspicion of wrong doing to make an arrest. It can also be called "taken into custody". They can then release you if they wish. It's the pressing of charges that's much harder to do without evidence. (I believe I quoted him in another thread.)

Several years ago I had a friend who was handcuffed and taken into custody for possession of stolen goods. He didn't know they were stolen and had them out in public view. LE questioned him for about 12 hours before he was finally released and cleared. He had to give up the person who sold him these goods and this person was later arrested and charged. It then cost my friend $10,000 for a lawyer to get his name expunged from police records.

It's my opinion that MR was taken into custody on suspicion, but with little or no evidence. At some point within the next six or seven hours, they acquired enough evidence to charge him. Where this evidence came from is anyone's guess.

Here is just one example of people being arrested and released for lack of evidence. It's from the Karissa Boudreau case.

"Police probing the murder of a 12-year-old Nova Scotia girl say they arrested and later released two suspects in the case due to a lack of evidence."

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a
    Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument. - William E. Gladstone

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to antiquegirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nonfictionrocks View Post
    Do we know for sure that she was never legally married to MR's father?

I too am under the impression that the mother can put down the name of the bio father (without a signature from him) and take the name.

If they were not married and the mother was to do this and then seek financial assistance from the "father" it would be up to him to prove that he is not and have his name removed.

If we are talking about the TB guy - he certainly would not be the first to get a girl pregnant while he was in university and hightail it out of the country for a while. JMO

Well I do have some experience.. When i gave birth to my daughter i signed to have his name as my daughters last name and he signed as well. Within a couple months you get another letter in the mail to confirm the name of the child. I chose to change her name to my last name. I had to have his signature to change his last name to mine. If he didnt sign it her name would have been his unless i fordged his signature. I wasnt married to him so i thought it would best to keep my name to make it easier for me when crossing the border etc... The father HAS to sign the birth certificate to declared as the father..
    May you rest in peace.....Tori Stafford

Missing but never forgotten Nicole Louise Morin last seen July 30th 1985

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32372

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crazyladi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by crazyladi View Post
    Well I do have some experience.. When i gave birth to my daughter i signed to have his name as my daughters last name and he signed as well. Within a couple months you get another letter in the mail to confirm the name of the child. I chose to change her name to my last name. I had to have his signature to change his last name to mine. If he didnt sign it her name would have been his unless i fordged his signature. I wasnt married to him so i thought it would best to keep my name to make it easier for me when crossing the border etc... The father HAS to sign the birth certificate to declared as the father..
    Thanks crazylady, it sounds like your man was with you for the delivery (or soon after) but what about when the guy is not there, perhaps already out of the country or just out of town, do you know what hospital protocol is then? I have no first hand knowledge of this.

Also we really can't disregard that he may have willingly signed, married or not. JMO

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonfictionrocks For This Useful Post:

I am confused as to the discussion of disassociation of MTR by his father at birth or soon after? I realize it's possible, but on what basis are we discussing this?

Is Murphy DM's maiden name or married name?

It would definitely seem there is a disassociation by his father at this point, whomever he is. His brother and mother's ex-boyfriend have spoken up thus far.

Very little has been discussed regarding his childhood. But we have heard from some who say it was turbulant, it certainly seems as if he comes from a broken marriage (or two), and he says he has moved around alot (and those who have come forward are from different points in the province.)

The speculation on who his father is, seems very interesting to me. There is quite a coincidence there with the locations of past residence by that man, and also the accused.

If indeed it is him, would it not be better to come forward now, if indeed he is his father, than risk the bad public relations later at the trial? I don't really think it can be supressed. As AG pointed out, there have been many, many high profile politicians, lawyers (Bryant?) etc. who's family members have been involved in crime.

Can anyone answer this simple question:

Is Rafferty using Legal Aid for his defence or not?

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Turbododger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nonfictionrocks View Post
    Thanks crazylady, it sounds like your man was with you for the delivery (or soon after) but what about when the guy is not there, perhaps already out of the country or just out of town, do you know what hospital protocol is then? I have no first hand knowledge of this.

Also we really can't disregard that he may have willingly signed, married or not. JMO
    if he is not there than the mother just signs the birth certificate with her signature... the father will have to sign it. the only way around this is for the mother to forge the signature.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crazyladi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Turbododger View Post
    I am confused as to the discussion of disassociation of MTR by his father at birth or soon after? I realize it's possible, but on what basis are we discussing this?

It would definitely seem there is a disassociation by his father at this point, whomever he is. His brother and mother's ex-boyfriend have spoken up thus far.

Very little has been discussed regarding his childhood. But we have heard from some who say it was turbulant, it certainly seems as if he comes from a broken marriage (or two), and he says he has moved around alot (and those who have come forward are from different points in the province.)

The speculation on who his father is, seems very interesting to me. There is quite a coincidence there with the locations of past residence by that man, and also the accused.

If indeed it is him, would it not be better to come forward now, if indeed he is his father, than risk the bad public relations later at the trial? I don't really think it can be supressed. As AG pointed out, there have been many, many high profile politicians, lawyers (Bryant?) etc. who's family members have been involved in crime.

i truly think that if he was the father **** would have hit the fan earlier... i would say whoever we think it is, it must not be

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to crazyladi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Turbododger View Post

I do remember reading an article which stated that MR and TLM had both attained legal aid representatives...now just to locate that article again.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flipflop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by crazyladi View Post
    if he is not there than the mother just signs the birth certificate with her signature... the father will have to sign it. the only way around this is for the mother to forge the signature.
    It is the birth registration that is signed at the hospital - this I do have first hand experience with, the last time was just 6 years ago. Birth Certificates can be done on-line and you only need the registration number plus attending doctor and hospital info, etc. This number is already pre-printed on the birth registration document. Now this is where I am a bit cloudy - you might take this document (or a tear-off portion with the number duplicated) with you when you are discharged from the hospital and then can complete the Birth Certificate whenever you want or, this is where the part you remember comes in, they send you the confirmation of your "live birth" with the registration number and you apply for the birth certificate. I clearly remember that the number is pre-printed on the first document though.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nonfictionrocks For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast