Research - Missing Females 1950 - 1960

talelights

I dig teaspoon by teaspoon
Reaction score
This is important for an ongoing research project

Looking to create a missing data base of girls/women missing from 1950 - 1960. Reported to law enforcement or not.

Please list here pertaining information:

Name, age, date of birth, missing date, location and any other information available.

Contacted me privately if you have confidential information or want to remain anonymous.

Thank you

Charley Project has a feature that lets you view the cases in chronological order. It starts with Pre-60's and then moves up by decade. You would have to wade through to pick out the females but it provides you with a good starting point.

http://www.charleyproject.org/chron/index.html

I am interested in missing people from that area too and have a few 'favorites' which I find very interesting.

Mary Shotwell Little - missing since 1965
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/little_mary.html
http://www.buckhead.net/history/mystery/msl_a.html
Mary Shotwell Little, 25, Missing 14 October 1965 from Atlanta, GA - Page 5 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Evelyn Hartley - Missing since 1953 when she was abducted while baby-sitting:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hartley_evelyn.html
Evelyn Hartley-Vanished While Babysitting in 1953 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The 3 women who vanished from Indiana Dunes State Park 1966
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/blough_patricia.html

There was a little girl that went missing from Tyrone, PA by the name of Kathy Shea. This was during the time frame you are researching. I will get the details and post here, I am not on my own computer, and this computer is very slow. But I will post back.

Kathy Shea - missing female from Tyrone, PA. DOB - 2-2-1959; Date missing - 03-18-1965. Age of disappearance - 6 years. I lived in a nearby area, and was 9 years old when she disappeared. It was the only case that got such media attention in my area while I was growing up, and most kids my age were scared to death. This case has been cold for years, and I have researched it many times, and have no found anything of any significance. Hope you find more.

Thank you for your suggestions and help. The Charley Project is a great reference but more are needed.

I am guessing there are families out there with missing loved ones, but because law enforcement back then did not take missing serious someone who went missing, "it is a family matter, they will return" was the usual law enforcement answer. They may not be any formal police report. But newspapers are.

So if anyone is scouring old newspapers for missing people from that time frame, give me a shout. "We" are interested

Marcella Krulce, 30, disappeared from the Martinique Apartments on Baum Blvd. in Pittsburgh on November 20, 1959. She was a diabetic and her insulin and syringes were found in her apartment along with her clothes and other belongings. She was a native of Canonsburg, PA.

Three years, in Pittsburgh's most famous missing persons case, Mary Ann Verdecchia, age 10, disappeared. She was last seen in the Martinique Apartments. While Mary Ann 's dates lie outside your area of interest, it is certainly suggestive that two cases in which females (albeit of different ages) disappeared without a trace are linked to this apartment building. If you find any connection between Marcella and the others in your time period, I would surely like to know about it.

Thank you for your suggestions and help. The Charley Project is a great reference but more are needed.

I am guessing there are families out there with missing loved ones, but because law enforcement back then did not take missing serious someone who went missing, "it is a family matter, they will return" was the usual law enforcement answer. They may not be any formal police report. But newspapers are.

So if anyone is scouring old newspapers for missing people from that time frame, give me a shout. "We" are interested

How has this progressed? Are you still working on this?

Still searching for a list of missing females from the 1950's. I am looking for missing women that may never have been listed by Law enforcement departments. I am sure there are families out there looking for missing loved ones and other avenues for information exposures.

NamUs is a good source but not sure it is searchable by time frame yet.

I am doing some research into some missing individuals as part of a research project. I have been looking at some in the 1940's and 1950's in and around Oklahoma. Tracking connections and similarities to victims found elsewhere.

I am doing some research into some missing individuals as part of a research project. I have been looking at some in the 1940's and 1950's in and around Oklahoma. Tracking connections and similarities to victims found elsewhere.

Interesting blog. I tried to find info on Shirley Ann Cuica who disappeared in 1951 (according to blog) but found nothing. Do you know any more details of her disappearance?

Writing and researching for some of the books I write involves a lot of background digging and sometimes all the information is not found in archives, old newspapers, or on library shelves. I am looking for information some people who went missing in the 1950's in Oklahoma. They appeared - briefly - in local papers but then were pushed off the pages as new hot stories emerged. I am working on an upcoming writing project dealing with some missing, and sadly found, victims in this time period. Your help is appreciated.

I am looking for anyone with information about the following:

1951:

Shirley Ann Cuica, Capitol Hill student?, walked to a store in OKC and never returned [disappeared in April; family had moved from Chicago in January and owned property in Missouri]

Charlene Wright, Capitol Hill student?, walked to a store in OKC and never returned

1952:

Mrs. Ruth Elizabeth Gee, June; Dorothy Moss, OKC reported missing July 23 (Fri); Tillie Mae Pennington (reported missing Monday July 26 (Mon).\; Sept. two unnamed teenage girls reported missing; were they ever found?

1958:

Denise Barry, Missing Sept. 3, 1958, left school early and never returned

1959:

Dorothy Jean Collinsworth, April 14, 1959

Interesting blog. I tried to find info on Shirley Ann Cuica who disappeared in 1951 (according to blog) but found nothing. Do you know any more details of her disappearance?

I have been unable to find much about her. There may be a possibility, if she did run away, she may have adopted her mother's last name from a previous marriage and gone back to the Chicago area where they had been living. I can find no photo of her in local school yearbooks (but did find verification of the name in one). There appears no record of either missing teen (Shirley or friend Wright) past that one year. No marriage records, graves, or other news stories. Not surprising but...

My original research has led me to wonder if similar murders occurred beyond Oklahoma and I am finding several in three states that are very interesting. One major issue is the lack of information or follow-up stories.

I have found that in the 1950's several female bodies or skeletons were found in Pike, Clark and Hot Springs Counties of Arkansas. This is generally around the area of HWY 67. At one point there was a report of three women's bodies found within the span of just a few months. The earliest I have found is 1953 and the last 1959. Most were listed as unidentified, although one found near Malvern was identified as Mrs. Mattie Parker, a waitress working in Hot Springs.

Despite searches into cemeteries, newspapers, and missing persons databases there is little to go on. Discussions with law enforcement has revealed so many of the smaller police and sheriff departments disposed of evidence and files for old and cold cases.

In looking for similar deaths fitting a certain pattern, in several states, these deaths have been noteworthy.

Any one have any knowledge? marilynahudson@yahoo.com

Marilyn,

i dont know know how I missed your posting. Have you been able to find additional information in your search? Is the route where some of these victims were found a direct southern route to the southwest?

I posted a reply but do not think it went through. This forum is confusing :[

Yes, the bodies of the Arkansas victims were found along a route that headed toward the SW. Hot Springs was to the north of the events (a known criminal hang out from the 1920's and onward); most were found as if shot and just tossed out of the cars along major highway route. There were some additional suspicious deaths and bodies found further into the hills around the area but most were ignored or assumed to be accidents. Added together, however, there appears to have been a lot going on in the area in the 1950's that went unnoticed. I think they connect to a major drug or criminal circuit coming out New Orleans or Houston into Arkansas and then points NE. A similar corridor appears to have gone through Dallas to Oklahoma and then spread westward and northwest. Another one led from Dallas to El Paso and then west to San Diego. I believe they were following the military bases and using personnel and workers.

This is important for an ongoing research project

Looking to create a missing data base of girls/women missing from 1950 - 1960. Reported to law enforcement or not.

Please list here pertaining information:

Name, age, date of birth, missing date, location and any other information available.

Contacted me privately if you have confidential information or want to remain anonymous.

Thank you

Including cases outside the U.S.? In Scotland, there was Moira Anderson, 11, who vanished in 1957.

How many from the list above been located and/or solved?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghost246
Back