1398 users online (263 members and 1135 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TN - Dawn Shannon Hercutt, 40, Sevier, 3 August 2009

Hercutt, a 40-year-old Gatlinburg businesswoman, died in what first appeared to be a car accident on 8/2/09. Then police received a tip that she might have been murdered.

Hercutt's death is now a homicide investigation.

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2009/...on_hercutt.php
    http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/au...obed-homicide/

Thanks for this link. I had not seen this when it happened.
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

I wonder what the litigation was between Shannon and her father?

Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    I wonder what the litigation was between Shannon and her father?
    I would like to know also. I would hate to think her own father had anything to do with it.
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

I can try and find out on Pacer, but I'll have to wait till this weekend.

The father said he is a suspect because of previous litigation over real estate (Steve will tell us more!). But, he was the one who pressed for an autopsy 3 times.

Woman's death now ruled a homicide, Father says he's not responsible, thinks she was killed at home

PIGEON FORGE - The caller ID read "Unknown," and the person on the other end of the line had only one word to say."Murderer," he said, and hung up. But Ted Hercutt says he did not kill his daughter, Shannon, whose body was found in her SUV on Aug. 3, about 125 feet down a steep mountain embankment near some of the rental cabins she managed.
    The death of Shannon Hercutt, 40, was originally called a traffic fatality in a Tennessee Highway Patrol report, Hercutt said, but he knew as soon as he heard she was not wearing her seat belt and that the 2007 Cadillac Escalade's windows were down that "something was wrong." He said Thursday his daughter never rode without her seat belt being fastened and that she never opened the windows because she was very conscious about her carefully coiffed hair. Also, the windshield was not broken, and there were no skid marks at the scene. An electronic device in the vehicle indicated that it was going only 7 miles per hour when it wrecked. In addition, he said, the SUV's airbags never deployed. Sevier County authorities Thursday announced the death has been classified a homicide.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/au...-now-homicide/

Still no arrest in Shannon's murder, but now a strange twist. Recently someone has fired shots into the business Shannon used to own. The business is a rental and real estaste agency now run by her family and another co-owner.

Pigeon Forge police say a gunman fired three shots into the front door of Auntie Belham's Realty and Nightly Rentals November 20th. They estimate at least eight shots were fired altogether.

Was that the reason for the murder? Close the business? Or Is someone so obsessed with Shannon they are now targeting her former business? Whomever killed her is very smart, her murder was an "accident" at first.

http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/78723862.html

http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/78723862.html

Anyone see this on Dr. Phil today? Shannon's sister accused her father of murdering Shannon. The sister said, he thought he was in Shannon's will. But, she had cut him out of the will and he didn't know it. Interesting show.

Link from the fifth anniversary last August:

5 years later: Sevier Co. woman's murder still unsolved
    Heidi Wigdahl, WBIR 7:35 p.m. EDT August 3, 2014

(WBIR-Sevierville) Sunday marked the five year anniversary of a Sevier County woman's death and five years of an unsolved murder.

Investigators first thought Shannon Hercutt died in a car accident. An autopsy later revealed she was murdered at home, put in her SUV, then sent down a steep drop in the Fox Run Resort area.

[...]

According to Stephens, there is a $40,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for her death.; $25,000 comes from the state of Tennessee.

[...]

Anyone with any information about the case should call Sevier County Sheriff's Office Criminal Investigation Division at 865-428-1899 or TBI at 1-800-TBI-FIND.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

And from today:

Woman goes on Dr. Phil, claims her father killed her sister
    WBIR Staff, WBIR 7:09 p.m. EST February 2, 2015

[...]

On the Dr. Phil show, Hercutt's sister, Penny, accused their father, Ted, of hiring someone to murder Hercutt. She said she had not seen him in two years.

Penny said that her sister and father were fighting at the time of her death, and she claimed he murdered Hercutt to get her business. She called her dad a "pathological liar" and said she's in fear for her own life now.

(cont. with video at the link)

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Beautiful Cumberland Plateau of Tennessee
    I just read the update and that they would have more at the 11 O'clock news hour. I don't live but a couple of hours from there, never heard of this case.
    She was a beautiful woman.
    There is big business up there in the Smokies!

So, according to the link, her father pushed for the autopsy, claimed early on that it wasn't an accident, and didn't inherit anything in her will. I wonder who did benefit from her will. I didn't watch any of the video, and I apologize if I missed that information.

I haven't read all the links (plan to) and I think it's not very likely, considering that there seems to be, at the least, some intrigue/possible POIs here -- but I just have to note that the first thing that hit my mind when I saw an accident-turned-homicide investigation was serial killer Israel Keyes. I believe he said that of his earlier murders (before Samantha Koenig and the Curriers), only one body had been discovered and that the death had been ruled an accident.

I think, just out of curiosity, I'll check to see where he was traveling around then...

ETA: Well, as many of you know, it's sometimes kind of hard to pin old IK down ... but, FWIW, here are some dates from poster GGE's expanded (from several sources) timelines in IK's thread in the WS Serial Killer forum:

June 20, 2009: Hotel reservation (Extended Stay) - Anchorage, Alaska.

7/2009: visited his grandmother in CA
    according to FB, Keyes visits California in July 2009 for his grandmother's 90th birthday

September 10, 2009: Hotel reservation (Puffin Inn) - Anchorage, Alaska.

9/11 - 10/3, 2009: FBI Timeline - Southern US
    FBI Timeline puts Keyes in the Southern US from 9/11 - 10/3 2009
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...59#post9801059

So he was on an extended stay in Alaska earlier in the summer (before he moved there, I guess), hopped out to California and then...? Can't pin him down for August 2009. Back to Alaska (well, MAYBE -- a hotel reservation) at least for some of September. But he also was kicking around the Southern U.S. in September and October, it would appear.

Just a thought, and putting it here for the record.
    Last edited by Backwoods; 02-03-2015 at 01:42 AM.

Has her cause of death been stated anywhere? (I read that an autopsy helped in the decision to change the manner of death to homicide.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast