OK - Rep. Calls For Death Penalty For Repeat Child Molesters

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
Sand Springs Lawmaker Wants Death For Repeat Child Molesters
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 10:28 AM CDT

TULSA, OK -- A state lawmaker from Sand Springs wants repeat child molesters to face the death penalty. Representative Rex Duncan plans to introduce legislation that would allow the death penalty for sentencing if someone is convicted of a sex crime involving children more than once. The announcement comes on the heels of the arrest of Marcus Berry, Senior, a two-time sex offender who avoided jail time despite being accused of failing to register.

Laws enforcement officials say a loophole in state law saved Marcus Berry,Senior, from going to jail for failing to register as a sex offender. And, it looks like that loophole is about to close.

~snip~

Beginning on November 1st, if a sex offender can't provide an address they have to report to law enforcement once a week to let them know where they will be staying.

Randy Lopp of the Oklahoma Coalition for Sex Offender Management says the sex offender registration laws actually do more harm than good. He says they prevent sex offenders from recovering and getting stability in their lives.

"We've got to figure out ways to help them find stable living so that they can register, so they can be in compliance," said Randy Lopp with the Oklahoma Coalition for Sex Offender Management.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10930918 BBM

Now this Rep. Rex Duncan has the right idea!! BRAVO!!! Let's do it!!

The other guy is an idiot, imo.

Hey Lopp, many of those guys had stability once. But they decided to commit crimes against children anyway. And many only got arrested for 1 crime, against 1 child. But most committed and got by with many more crimes before they finally got caught.

If an offender is sincere about "recovering" he will make sure he cooperates with sex offender registration, he will get a job, he will avoid being around children, he will get himself into counseling or a 12 step program or something. But most of all he will change his mind set. Instead of expecting that people should automatically trust him just because he is out of jail, he will set out to earn that trust. And he will quit complaining about the sex offender registration as something that is out to break him, and look at it as something that is out to help him to resist any temptations he might face in the future.

I used to think that it would be enough to just tattoo "predator" on their foreheads when they got out of jail. But sadly after watching repeat offender's repeatedly harming children then trying to justify it to themselves and others, I have decided that if the chance to vote for the death penalty ever comes up in my state I am voting for it.

Lawmakers Discuss Death Penalty For Repeat Sex Offenders

TULSA, OK - An Oklahoma lawmaker pushes to toughen laws against repeat sex offenders. A Sand Springs legislator wants repeat child molesters to face the death penalty. But, the idea might not pass constitutional muster.

~snip~

It's not the first time the idea has come up. Oklahoma Senator Jonathan Nichols of Norman introduced a bill in 2006.

"It will send a clear message to child predators in the state of Oklahoma we will find you, we will prosecute you, and we will put you to death," said Senator Jonathan Nichols.

The U.S. Supreme Court intercepted that message in 2008. The nation's highest court ruled in a split decision the death penalty was unconstitutional for the rape of a child. The move struck down death penalty laws in five states, including Oklahoma.

"The intent of my legislation would be to find a way around the Supreme Court's prohibition on the use of the death penalty for child molesters," said Representative Rex Duncan of Sand Springs.

Representative Duncan says the U.S. Supreme Court case involved a Louisiana inmate convicted of his first offense and he believes the outcome would be different for a two-time sex offender.

~snip~

"If they are found guilty a second time by a jury of their peers then the public ought to have the piece of mine that individual will never walk the streets again," said Representative Rex Duncan.

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=10934256

Sand Springs Lawmaker Wants Death For Repeat Child Molesters
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 10:28 AM CDT

TULSA, OK -- A state lawmaker from Sand Springs wants repeat child molesters to face the death penalty. Representative Rex Duncan plans to introduce legislation that would allow the death penalty for sentencing if someone is convicted of a sex crime involving children more than once. The announcement comes on the heels of the arrest of Marcus Berry, Senior, a two-time sex offender who avoided jail time despite being accused of failing to register.

Laws enforcement officials say a loophole in state law saved Marcus Berry,Senior, from going to jail for failing to register as a sex offender. And, it looks like that loophole is about to close.

~snip~

Beginning on November 1st, if a sex offender can't provide an address they have to report to law enforcement once a week to let them know where they will be staying.

Randy Lopp of the Oklahoma Coalition for Sex Offender Management says the sex offender registration laws actually do more harm than good. He says they prevent sex offenders from recovering and getting stability in their lives.

"We've got to figure out ways to help them find stable living so that they can register, so they can be in compliance," said Randy Lopp with the Oklahoma Coalition for Sex Offender Management.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10930918 BBM

Now this Rep. Rex Duncan has the right idea!! BRAVO!!! Let's do it!!

The other guy is an idiot, imo.

I would LOVE to see this go back to the Supreme Court, but if I recall the justice's that were against it said in their opinions that the death penalty was not appropriate because no had died, and the punishment exceeding the crime was cruel and unusual. (of course no one mentioned that Treason is punishable by death whether anyone dies as a result of your actions or not). But those opinions probably won't change based on the mulitiple offense factor.

Someone needs to put together a visible representation of how many children are victims of released sex offenders. It is much easier to ignore the statistics when you are looking at one guy that you are going to release. People need to really absorb how many of these guys reoffend.

Maybe an art display, one of the continuous walls covered with 8x10 mug shots and a representation underneath the photo of the victim assaulted. Interspersed with the words of victims....

These laws will not change without a big push from the public. I cannot believe the Supreme Court ruled against it last time. We do have a new justice coming on so maybe that will change the split decision. I will have to go see what side the judge that stepdown fell on.

:clap::clap::clap: WTG, Rep. Rex Duncan! There is finally a politician who sees the problem and knows the SO's cannot be cured.

I love the statement he makes of, "If they are found guilty a second time by a jury of their peers, then the public ought to have the piece of mind that individual will never walk the streets again."

Finally.
A 'treatment' for child molesters that actually makes sense.

:clap::clap::clap: WTG, Rep. Rex Duncan! There is finally a politician who sees the problem and knows the SO's cannot be cured.

I love the statement he makes of, "If they are found guilty a second time by a jury of their peers, then the public ought to have the piece of mind that individual will never walk the streets again."
That is right LaLaw....SO do not get cured.
Putting them away for life is the only answer.
Not sure about DP. IMHO they are often also victims who are basically sick, but do not belong in public at all.

I think a lot of us need to take a step back and consider the implications of this proposed law.
My understanding is that California had the death penalty for rape and other sex crimes on their books but this was removed in the 1960's. Apparently because it was noted that there were several cases in which victims were killed to silence them and avoid a possible death penalty. Maybe I have this wrong, if so I'd welcome someone contributing who knows.
Isn't this cause for concern? Like most people I would like to see these monsters get their due but shouldn't we put the safety of their victims first.

It's well-known that the DP is not a deterrent. Children are still going to be violated, there will still be predators even with the DP.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be stricter punishment for SOs but I don't think that it should be the DP. It kind of makes "an eye for an eye" a moot arguing point, since it's not even equal punishment.

It's well-known that the DP is not a deterrent. Children are still going to be violated, there will still be predators even with the DP.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be stricter punishment for SOs but I don't think that it should be the DP. It kind of makes "an eye for an eye" a moot arguing point, since it's not even equal punishment.
ITA but life with no parole is the right way to go.
There is no cure for these people - often times, they themselves have been the victim of an
adult that should have protected them. They are sick and should be locked up permanently. There is no cure and they are severly angry.

Amen!!!! Cure them with death!! Save the taxpayers $$ too!! :woohoo:
:Banane36::Banane35::Banane48: :Banane47::Banane57: :bananalama: :Banane22: :Banane08: :Banane18: :Banane29: :Banane14:

Sorry, would never agree on this one. Death is not a fair sentence. Getting them off the streets forever need only entail a life sentence.

REPEAT????? Why are they even being let out to do it again - first offense - life. Like there is a cure for this "sickness"?????? Once a sex offender, always a sex offender, IMO!

I agree with the death penalty but guilt must be beyond doubt. DNA is a reliable witness.

I think a lot of us need to take a step back and consider the implications of this proposed law.
My understanding is that California had the death penalty for rape and other sex crimes on their books but this was removed in the 1960's. Apparently because it was noted that there were several cases in which victims were killed to silence them and avoid a possible death penalty. Maybe I have this wrong, if so I'd welcome someone contributing who knows.
Isn't this cause for concern? Like most people I would like to see these monsters get their due but shouldn't we put the safety of their victims first.

OK, if no DP....send them all to Gitmo.....Once a child molester always a child molester.....then worse. Sandra Cuntu, for instants.....HC, possibly.....Neveah.....Most Likely...and many, many more well known cases and all the others that are never reported.

I would prefer MORE if the Prez.....and Pelosi focused MORE on protecting innocent children before healthcare reform....if he provided UNIVERSAL convictions, stiff penalties, GITMO or DEATH.... I would rejoice....I would rejoice over any healthcare reform NO MATTER HOW MUCH I AM AGAINST IT....if the children were put first.

REPEAT????? Why are they even being let out to do it again - first offense - life. Like there is a cure for this "sickness"?????? Once a sex offender, always a sex offender, IMO!

OT....when my 3 year old niece gets ansy..... I always look up POCO....she thinks that is the funniest thing in the World.

I agree, Snick. I've also read that some SO's often kill their victims because they have been released from jail on probation/etc. and don't want to go back. So, I guess there is no magic solution. In my personal opinion, there needs to be a strict "no second chance" law. If you are a sex offender, you are put away for life. Of course, this would entail a clearly defined federal law. Our country doesn't do enough to protect our children. I'm disgusted and saddened every time I read about some poor baby that has been abused by parents who have been reported to CPS or a child who has been raped by a SO that was released on probation. It fails to comprehend WHY we are so easy on these people. People who vandalize property repeatedly get longer sentences in some jurisdictions than repeat SO's. It's infuriating. In my opinion, death is too simple a punishment for these men and women who hurt our children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back