Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Brought this great post over from thread #1 by ForensicFan - the details and insights are amazing!

Here are my impressions so far, for whatever they're worth:

1. That driveway has always made me slightly nervous if I'm walking alone at night. It's easy to duck into and be shielded by that building. Vehicles (UPS, work trucks) do tend to pull part way into the driveway of the parking lot for a few minutes to half an hour or so at a time. Likewise, across the street (almost directly) is a basement parking structure accessible by a lower garage door that goes down from the street.

2. Barclay's, the bar/restaurant across the street, is a busy establishment. However, even the outdoor seating is below street level. IMO, the odds of sitting down there (which I've done) and seeing what's going on clearly across the street aren't great.

3. The parking lot is really small, as the blonde woman said in the news video. Through the archway is the apartment parking area, leading to a street that dead ends. However, if someone had a car waiting or idling near there, or around the corner on Auburn (which does not get much traffic during the day), it would be IMO an easy getaway. You would have to move VERY fast, and prepare, but once you make a turn or two, you're pretty much home-free. You have a much higher chance of being noticed if you go down College than if you go down to the other end of Harwood.

4. That all said, there is foot traffic on Harwood throughout the day, especially as people return home around that time. There is a church across the street from that corner, which usually has people out front, in addition to several coffee shops. The time it takes to round that corner is indeed very fast, especially if you were in a hurry and using a quick pace.

5. His reasons for using the parking lot make sense to me, considering what's been going on in Oakland lately. There is honestly nowhere to park along College Ave most of the time, for about five blocks in either direction. You have to park on the side streets, which have 2 hour parking. However, on Harwood during that time of day, you can sometimes have to travel to the roundabout or beyond to find a spot (even if you look at side streets, too). Lately, the City of Oakland has extended the parking enforcement hours and hugely increased parking ticket fines. My friends have parked in front of my house and exceeded 2 hours by minutes, and ended up with $80 tickets. Minor infractions can set you back as much as $300 lately, as Oakland tries to use parking enforcement to balance its very sad budget.

Despite all this, the only scenario that makes sense to me for an abduction is that someone either heavily planned this in advance, had the help of one or both parents, or lives really nearby (there is a house on the other side of the driveway). It would have to be such a quick initial grab. I do see it as possible to go unnoticed, and to exit quickly, but it requires so many "if"s and it's never happened here before.

The Neighborhood Watch Group mentioned that they saw the foster father obviously distraught, asking people if they'd seen Hassani and running up and down College Avenue when this happened. The canine dogs traveled both ends of Harwood that day, as well as the gas station on the corner, and parts of College Ave setting up a perimeter. Additionally, I've been personally questioned by LE and asked to fill out an extensive survey, even mentioning any deliveries I got that day or people who visited me, listing their names and phone numbers. They seem like they've been really thorough, and I only imagine they've been more thorough with those in the dwellings right beside the parking lot.

Also, for what it's worth, I can't think of a single reason you'd travel surface streets between Fremont and Rockridge. Even with the worst of traffic, you'd be faster on the freeway (due to lights, busy intersections, etc.)--possibly 90 min instead of 30-45. Additionally, this is an largely white neighborhood (at least until you go lower than College Ave or beyond Broadway). People are not bigoted here (quite the opposite), but you would tend to notice someone of color a little more easily.

I'd like to also add that the neighbors who are around during the day are quite vigilant. The Neighborhood Watch has people who see a solicitor, or someone snipping their flowers, and call the non-emergency number for the police. Lots of security systems, and lots of video cameras. I have a hard time thinking if anyone suspicious was lurking around they wouldn't be noticed or questioned by neighbors (I've seen it happen).
    Last edited by eyes4crime; 08-17-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: underlined ForensicFan
    Please think long and hard before calling a child a 'run-a-way':
    You might be giving a 'perk' to the 'perp'.

Democracy requires the occasional necessity of deferring to the opinions of other people. (Winston Churchill)

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to eyes4crime For This Useful Post:

Angel Who Cares is offline If you seek an angel with an open heart, you shall always find one.
    Hey wanted to let you all know that Melissa Huckaby is indicted for MURDRER!!!!

<div style=text-align: center;><a href=http://www.websleuths.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=605&pictureid=4615 target=_blank>http://www.websleuths.com/forums/pic...pictureid=4615</a></div>
    Angels around us, angels beside us, angels within us. Angels are watching over you when times are good or stressed. Their wings wrap gently around you, whispering you are loved and blessed.
    -- Angel Blessing

4. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Angel Who Cares For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by noelle91176 View Post
    When was the last time foster parents spoke with media? Any idea?
    He was on Nancy Grace Thursday...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KR2tonenow For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Who Cares View Post
    Hey wanted to let you all know that Melissa Huckaby is indicted for MURDRER!!!!

OT

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KR2tonenow For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by amysmom View Post
    bold by me

Whose bf & whose Myspace is this? TIA!

I was hoping to find (good!) news on Hassani today
    Don't worry, it's nothing. I just left it because it had been quoted and this way if someone else comes up with the same info, they can see it's been checked already.

Sometimes it's good to rule things out as well as in.
    I am the resident zebra chaser. I tend to hear hoofbeats and think "Yay, unicorns."
    Sometimes I come up with good stuff, though.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

Did anyone else find this comment of LR's odd: it was the last thing he said in his "plea" to the kidnapper, something like "you've done enough"? He said just drop him off at a school or hospital, "you've done enough" ?

It's quiet in here today.....I keep wondering what do the police know--they must know a lot that they aren't telling the public. Actually I hope they do know more !

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Columbo For This Useful Post:

For reference, this is the driveway/alley where car was parked, and the route LR took to the front of the store.

This really makes no sense IMO. I was under the impression then that the front of the store was just around the edge of the driveway.

If this was their normal routine, why not call the store from the driveway and say "I'm here" without lugging an 18-month old (or strolling her) that distance not to mention leaving a 5 year old little boy alone and out of your sight ...

Thanks to AngelWhoCares and Columbo without whose links to photos, I'd still be in the dark on this.

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Noway For This Useful Post:

Here's an aerial view of the Pick your part Auto Salvage LR visited
    This place in huge and I can sure see how Hassani may have succumbed to the heat if left in the car for any period of time.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to momtective For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KR2tonenow View Post
    thanks! seems like an unusually long time to go without "spreading the word" about your missing child. If I remember correctly even Haleigh Cummings family on BOTH sides seemed to be interviewed daily by multiple news sources.

If it was me and even if I was being wrongfully suspected, NOTHING would stop me from getting the word out. Actually it would make it much more important to me that I get the word out on my child. I would be sceraming it from the roof tops and going on every show that would have me.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to noelle91176 For This Useful Post:

Here is a map showing the route from JC & LR's home to the Pick Your Part Auto Salvage then on to Shuz.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to momtective For This Useful Post:

I wonder what the parking situation in front of the store is. Seems as if double-parking for a few minutes would have been better/easier.

Link to the NG video can be found here CA-Hassani Campbell - MISSING - Links, photos and articles ONLY - No discussion - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 04-18-2015 at 11:35 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momtective For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by momtective View Post
    Here is a map showing the route from JC & LR's home to the Pick Your Part Auto Salvage then on to Shuz.
    Was it stated that cadaver canine units checked out the Auto Salvage place as well? If we were to think possibly something happened to Hassani and the Foster dad had to "think" fast.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KR2tonenow For This Useful Post:

Was it stated that cadaver canine units checked out the Auto Salvage place as well? If we were to think possibly something happened to Hassani and the Foster dad had to "think" fast.
    That place is huge...I would think it would literally take an entire day or more to run the dogs through every single vehicle.
    Little Hassani could be in the trunk of one of those vehicles. But then I have to think...why would LR have even mentioned the salvage yard if he had left Hassani's body there...

Quote Originally Posted by momtective View Post
    Here's an aerial view of the Pick your part Auto Salvage LR visited
    This place in huge and I can sure see how Hassani may have succumbed to the heat if left in the car for any period of time.
    (photo here)
    Is it not likely that his sister would too? I would think the smaller the child, the more easily the heat would affect them.

Links about heat stroke ... symptoms
    http://www.drpaul.com/illnesses/heat.html

says babies are especially prone ...
    http://www.easybabylife.com/heat-stroke.html

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Noway For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast