Page 1 of 36 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial

Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial

I haven't had a chance to read through all the posts so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I thought I'd go ahead and post this link to a local news station with a link to live trial coverage:

http://www.wbir.com/default.aspx

This station is also showing coverage on 10 news 2.

In The Forest With The Top Down

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christee For This Useful Post:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Her friend is on the stand identifying the clothing Channon was last seen in. They just pulled out her pretty pink shoes.

Witness is now under cross.....

ETA: not sure if she's under defense cross or not. The questions seem to be that of a prosecutor.

Gary Christian, Channon's father is on the stand.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Deena Christian, Channon's mother is on the stand.

How heartbreaking to sit on the stand and identify your daughter's clothing.

I'm so confused. So far the defense cross seems to be merely confirming and verifying information brought up by the prosecution and witnesses.

SuziQ, I thought the same thing. How is that going to prove their client wasn't involved in the murders?

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    SuziQ, I thought the same thing. How is that going to prove their client wasn't involved in the murders?
    I'm having a hard time figuring out defense stradegy. They don't appear to be disputing anything. Maybe their only goal is to appeal to the jury at sentencing to get LWOP instead of death. IIRC, this defendant plead guilty to rape but claims he didn't murder anyone. However, Tennessee has a Felony Murder Rule, which means all the defendants involved in a crime at the time a death occurs is as responsible as the murderer. So this defendant is just as responsible as whoever killed the victims.

Update: Train engineer describes finding Newsom's burned body

ETA: this was a hard one for me. The pros showed the picture of the body by the RR tracks and the families were very emotional over it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Horrendous!
    I saw the photo as well. It seemed as if all the air was sucked out of the room.
    Justice for CAYLEE

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LancelotLink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    I'm having a hard time figuring out defense stradegy. They don't appear to be disputing anything. Maybe their only goal is to appeal to the jury at sentencing to get LWOP instead of death. IIRC, this defendant plead guilty to rape but claims he didn't murder anyone. However, Tennessee has a Felony Murder Rule, which means all the defendants involved in a crime at the time a death occurs is as responsible as the murderer. So this defendant is just as responsible as whoever killed the victims.
    Cobbins's defense is admitting only what they feel they have to. The DNA will bear out that he raped Channon. The ballistics I feel will bear out his gun was used to kill Chris Newsom. His defense team has tried to block mitochondrial DNA, since he and Lemaricus are half brothers and made a limine motion to have the ballistics thrown out.
    Blaming it all on Lemaricus and Boyd. They do need to charge Boyd with carjacking, rape, torture and murder right along with these other individuals. We know he was the only one who had a car, his cousin's.
    Justice for CAYLEE

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LancelotLink For This Useful Post:

Gary Christian, Channon's father is on the stand.
    He breaks my heart. His anguish is palpable.
    Justice for CAYLEE

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LancelotLink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
    Horrendous!
    I saw the photo as well. It seemed as if all the air was sucked out of the room.
    I think I felt like the air was sucked out of my house. It was so sudden with no warning.

I've been staining a deck and missed the end of Gary and the K-9 handlers testimony. Did I miss anything important? TIA.
    Last edited by SuziQ; 08-17-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: wrong word

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

I think I felt like the air was sucked out of my house. It was so sudden with no warning.

I've been staining a deck and missed the end of Gary and the K-9 handlers hearing. Did I miss anything important? TIA.
    Scott Greene on cross with K-9 handler asked if dogs were trained to also signal smell of humans. My guess is, in his vague questioning, he will try and poke holes in the K-9 signaling on the gas.

I believe the most telling testimony came from Xavier, Leroy and I think Jerome A. Between the three came a time when four males were seen in the 4-runner and timed the three pops coming from the train tracks.

I was not prepared for the photo of Chris Newsome. The railroad guy who discovered him said he wanted to be away from there, that it felt evil.
    Justice for CAYLEE

27. The Following User Says Thank You to LancelotLink For This Useful Post:

The three witnesses to the three pops heard looked really comfortable on the stand and seemed proud to be there. What do you make of the difference between the one testimony of hearing the pops at 1:45am and the other hearing them at 5ish am? Chris was shot three times right? I'm coming into this story late and probably have alot of facts wrong.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

I don't know if the defense is just trying to save Cobbins from DP, or if they are waiting to attack the DNA.
    I also don't get the 12:30 AM phone call to her dad.
    Justice for CAYLEE

31. The Following User Says Thank You to LancelotLink For This Useful Post:

The three witnesses to the three pops heard looked really comfortable on the stand and seemed proud to be there. What do you make of the difference between the one testimony of hearing the pops at 1:45am and the other hearing them at 5ish am? Chris was shot three times right? I'm coming into this story late and probably have alot of facts wrong.
    Chris was shot three times and I can't speculate on the 5ish pops, except that I thought I heard that bullet holes were found in the floor of Davidson's bedroom. Like you, I was in and out a bit today.
    Justice for CAYLEE

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LancelotLink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
    I don't know if the defense is just trying to save Cobbins from DP, or if they are waiting to attack the DNA.
    I also don't get the 12:30 AM phone call to her dad.
    ITA about that phone call. It appears the carjacking went down between 9-10pm. Maybe Channon kept saying her parents would be looking for her and they let her call? IDK.

ITA about that phone call. It appears the carjacking went down between 9-10pm. Maybe Channon kept saying her parents would be looking for her and they let her call? IDK.
    Yeah, I'm at a loss on this one...
    Justice for CAYLEE

I went back through some older articles and found that Chris left the halls party at around 9 to go pick up Channon. That's about a 30 minute drive. I seem to recall that they also went to grab a bite to eat. And that they both were in Kara's apartment for awhile watching a movie. Perhaps 12:30 isn't so late after all. I just need to find these other articles and post the links.
    Justice for CAYLEE

37. The Following User Says Thank You to LancelotLink For This Useful Post:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/ap...-pairs-deaths/

Newsom left sometime around 9 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 6, 2007, to pick up Christian. Christian phoned her dad at 12:30 a.m. Childress said Gary Christian told authorities she sounded normal.

Waste Connections of Tennessee employee Xavier Jenkins would see Christian's 4 Runner outside Davidson's house on Chipman Street sometime after 12:30 a.m. and before 2 a.m.

Freeman called Davidson at 3:51 a.m.

"It didn't sound like Slim," Freeman testified last week. "He said, 'It's me, baby girl.' That's when I knew it was Slim, 'cause that's what he called me. I said, 'You don't sound like yourself.' He was breathing kind of heavy. His voice sounded really strained."

At 7:45 a.m. R&T Castings employee Roy Thurman saw smoke coming from railroad tracks near the Chipman Street house.

Oh, and during the Boyd trial, it came out that furniture is an urban slang for pot.
    Justice for CAYLEE

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LancelotLink For This Useful Post:

I found the below link with a treasure trove of documents.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/au...urders-knoxvi/

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 36 1234567891011 ... LastLast