Mid-Atlantic Murders and Missing

Fukiyama

Reaction score
At some point, I'd like to see the creation of a Spotlight Case forum for the murders of young women in Pennsylvania during the 70s and 80s. In Cold Cases there are quite a few promising threads that could be moved there.

To get the ball rolling, pretend we're a Law Enforcement Task Force. :)

JUST A SAMPLE:

Tinicum Marsh Murders, early 1970s, Chester, PA

Beth Doe, found December 20, 1976, Carbon County, PA
First thread
Second thread

Robin Elam, age 26, murdered June 13, 1977, Ohio County, WV - believed connected to the Pennsylvania Strangler and/or Satanic worshipping killers

Ranee Gregor, age 15, missing October 21, 1977, boyfriend found murdered

Tracy Ann Byrd, age 14, missing March 7, 1983, Bensalem Twp, PA - included in Barbara Rowan thread

[urle="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14360"]Barbara Rowan, age 14, murdered August 1984, Bensalem Twp, PA[/url]

A brief list of perps and their MOs:
David Robert Kennedy - The Pennsylvania Strangler? Raped young women and then strangled them with an article of their clothing.

Robert "Mudman" Simon - Warlock Gang member; convicted of shooting a girl in the forehead with a revolver when she refused to have sexual intercourse with gang members; same MO fits a list of murders.

Edward Surrat (or Surratt) - Home Invader, killed the husbands, raped and murdered the wives.

The Dismemberment Guy - Beth Doe and a few other cases I've seen as well.

Anyway, my goal here is to try to draw these cases together and look at them in a different way.

Add Lindy Biechler,Betsy Aardsma,Dana Bailey,and Holly Branagan.,who in my opinion,all may have been the victims of the Zodiac killer,or a Zodiac copycat.

Shelley Luty disappeared in Upper Darby PA.

Also, I'm from the Upper Darby area(not currently living there). If there is anything you'd like to know about that area I'd be happy to provide the information.

Wendy Eaton missing since May 17, 1975 from Media, Delaware County, Pennsylvania.

Edna Christine Thorne missing since June 24, 1975 from Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania.

Tracey Anne King missing since July 8, 1975 from Littlestown, Adams County, Pennsylvania.

Aardsma, Betsy
Alleged by morf13 to be a Zodiac or copycat killing.
Date: November 28, 1969
Betsy Aardsma Murder, Penn State 11/28/1969 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Beth Doe
Date: December 20, 1976 (found)
Death: <24 hours
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/169ufpa.html
http://pennsylvaniamissing.com/carboncountybethdoe.html
UNIDENTIFIED GIRL found 20 December 1976 WHITE HAVEN, PA - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Pregnant Unidentified White Female, Carbon Co. PA, 1976 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Biechler, Lindy
Date: Dec 5th, 1975
Lindy Biechler(19) Murdered in her home, 1975, Still Unsolved - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Bailey, Dana
Alleged by morf13 to be a Zodiac or copycat killing. PSU.
Date: March 4-5, 1987
Dana Bailey PSU student murdered in 1987 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Branagan, Holly
Date: March 28, 1979
Holly Branagan murdered 3/28/79 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Eaton, Wendy
Date: May 17, 1975
Thought to be related to the Tinicum Marsh killings, but no evidence.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/90dfpa.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/eaton_wendy.html

Green Point Jane Doe
Location: Fort Indiantown Gap Military Reservation, Lebanon County
Date: October 10, 1973 (found)
Death: Septempter 1973 estimated
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/609ufpa.html
http://pennsylvaniamissing.com/609ufpafortindgap.html

King, Tracey Anne
Date: July 8, 1975
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/342dfpa.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/king_tracy.html

Luty, Shelley Diane
Date: August 23, 1982
Person of interest sketch available.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1463dfpa.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/luty_shelly.html

Mahan, Cherrie Ann
Date: Feb. 22, 1985
Vehicle of interest sketch available.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/255dfpa.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mahan_cherrie.html
http://www.wpxi.com/news/4217338/detail.html

Thorne, Edna Christine
Date: June 24, 1975
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/74dfpa.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/thorne_edna.html

Great list! By the way, i think the murders of Biechler & Bailey, have definate Zodiac overtones (anonymous letters to police, family,etc) The murder of Holly Branagan doesnt have those same Zodiac overtones, but, i think is similar in the following ways to Biechler & Bailey.
1-Same state
2-Stabbed with a knife from her own home
3-Like Biechler, the knife was still stuck in her body.

Lets add one more PA victim to this list.

Alicia Bernice Markovich vanished 4/26/87 ( a little over a month after Dana Bailey's murder) from Blairsville, PA. Her case had no clues until 13 years later when an anoymous letter was sent to her father regarding her possible murder and burial location in PA.
The letter had a New Hampshire return address, and police went there to question the owner, who nothing about it,and was not a suspect. A search was done at an undisclosed location, and nothing was found. (Sound like the Donna Lass case to anybody else? ,anon letter,making cops run all over digging for clues and not finding any) Not to mention, this case sounds like the Bates case and Bailey case in that the victim's fathers both got anoymous letters in the mail. This makes 3 anonymous letters in PA cases, 2 to victims fathers. Anyone seeing a pattern?(This also sounds like my 2 Texas cases in which police & a victims father got anonymous letters , years after the murders.)

Heres a link: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/markovich_alicia.html

I'll update the list soon with physical features included. I'm also working on a Google Map that you all should be able to view.

Alicia Bernice Markovich vanished 4/26/87 ( a little over a month after Dana Bailey's murder) from Blairsville, PA. Her case had no clues until 13 years later when an anonymous letter was sent to her father regarding her possible murder and burial location in PA.
The letter had a New Hampshire return address, and police went there to question the owner, who nothing about it,and was not a suspect. A search was done at an undisclosed location, and nothing was found. (Sound like the Donna Lass case to anybody else? ,anon letter,making cops run all over digging for clues and not finding any) Not to mention, this case sounds like the Bates case and Bailey case in that the victim's fathers both got anoymous letters in the mail. This makes 3 anonymous letters in PA cases, 2 to victims fathers. Anyone seeing a pattern?(This also sounds like my 2 Texas cases in which police & a victims father got anonymous letters , years after the murders.)

UPDATE: Good news- Spoke to the detective in Dana Bailey's case. I informed him of the similarities in these various PA cases specifically, Lindy Biechler, Dana Bailey, & Alicia Bernice Markovich .

ALL 3 of these cases involve Anonymous letters sent to police and/or the father of the victim. I also described how these letters closely match aspects of the Zodiac murders. He was open to what i had to say, and he said he was "thinking outside the box" to solve it,as all the info they have so far didnt pan out. I told him about how Markovich went missing in Blairsville,PA,about a month after Bailey was murdered. Blairsville is about an hour away from Bailey's murder scene. As it turns out, the Detective was working some leads in the Bailey case. Guess where the leads were leading him? You got it....Blairsville!

So now you have Dana Bailey killed in State College, and her father got an anonymous letter,and leads pointing to Blairsville.

Then you have Markovich vanishing in Blairsville a month or so later,and her Dad gets an anonymous letter

UPDATE: Good news- Spoke to the detective in Dana Bailey's case. I informed him of the similarities in these various PA cases specifically, Lindy Biechler, Dana Bailey, & Alicia Bernice Markovich .
[...]
That's excellent. Hopefully something will develop from those leads.

By the way, I requested the thread's title's change. Don't want to get too caught up in jurisdictional/state lines. If anyone has a Google account and would like to work some on my little map, let me know. I'm working on adding pictures of each victim to her pop-up bubble.

I am too scared to try and use google earth,:blushing:
I have it,but it's so confusing to me

Alicia Bernice Markovich vanished 4/26/87 ( a little over a month after Dana Bailey's murder) from Blairsville, PA. Her case had no clues until 13 years later when an anoymous letter was sent to her father regarding her possible murder and burial location in PA.

Okay, found this:
Police appeal to letter-writing confessed killer

July 25, 2001

DAYTONA BEACH, Florida (CNN) -- Florida authorities are appealing to an anonymous, letter-writing confessed killer to give them enough information to solve the mystery of a Florida teen missing for almost two decades.

Time may be running out because the unknown letter-writing suspect claims to be dying of cirrhosis.

Colleen Emily Orsborn disappeared 17 years ago. Orsborn's brother received an unsigned, handwritten letter filled with misspellings and postmarked February 21 in Manchester, New Hampshire.

"I killed your beloved Colleen nearly 15 years ago. For that, I can only beg your forgiveness, I can only attempt to make ammends buy disclosing to you were her innocent little body is," the letter said.

The author described an area along the Tomaka River off Route 415 in Daytona Beach where the girl's body and clothes could be found. He said he put her clothes in a black trashbag about 100 feet from the body.

Markovich's case is classified with many law enforcement agencies as that of an endangered runaway, but some investigators believe she may have not intended to leave voluntarily for an extended period of time and could have become a victim of foul play. There were no leads in her disappearance until October 2000, over 13 years since Markovich was last seen. Her father received an anonymous letter at his home which detailed his daughter's possible murder and burial location in Pennsylvania. The letter was postmarked from New Bedford, New Hampshire. Authorities traveled to New Bedford and questioned the person whose name was written on the return address of the envelope. The unidentified individual had no knowledge of Markovich's case, nor was he or she familiar with the Blairsville, Pennsylvania area. The person is not believed to have been the author of the letter. Investigators searched an area identified in the note as Markovich's burial location in late 2000. Authorities will not specify where the search took place, but did state that the region was along the Conemaugh River outside of Blairsville. No evidence was discovered during the initial search, and investigators concluded that the letter was a hoax.

Update on the Dana Bailey & Lindy Biechler cases:
1- Biechler case- I spoke to Lindy's brother Michael, finally! We shared some info and thoughts, and he is going to send me some materials he has collected on the case,so that i can look thru it, and see if there are any Z clues.We also discussed the possibility of meeting up in PA, maybe in the next month or two, when he comes back from military duty. We can sit down, and he said i could fill him in on how her case mirrors many things in the Zodiac case. He also said, maybe we could try to meet up with the Detective in the case. Sounds like a plan, and I am looking forward to it, its only two and a half hours from me.

2- I also heard back from the Detective in Bailey's case. He had a couple questions for me, and he is still looking at stuff i sent him. We will see where it goes. Perhaps when I meet up with Lindy's brother,maybe i could take the additional 2 hour ride out to State College and poke my head around there to, maybe compare some notes.By the way, we briefly discussed the Aardsma case. We didnt go into it in detail, but he is familiar with it.

Fugi,

Can you tell us more about the dismemberment guy? What other cases are related?

"The Dismemberment Guy - Beth Doe and a few other cases I've seen as well."

Fugi,

It's purely me surmising. I think it was in the Barbara Rowan thread, the Tracy Ann Byrd thread or the Ranee Gregor thread (I don't recall which one, it was one of those posts where a poster listed a list of cases that could be involved). I read about this girl who was found with her legs cut off (don't recall if her legs were found with her or not or if she was a Jane Doe).

The similarity to Beth Doe struck me a bit, so I thought it might be useful to throw in a 'Dismemberment guy' in my basic list of suspects.

I need to go back through all three of those threads anyway.

Fugi,

Found it in the Barbara Rowan thread:

Delores Dellapenna 17
From Philadelphia PA, Wildwood
Disappeared July 11th 1972 while walking to a trolley stop. Torso found July 22nd in Jackson Township N.J and legs found on July 29th in Manchester N.Jin wooded area.

I live on the border of Manchester twp! SCARY! Never even heard of this case.

AND: "Valerie Seibert 16
From Philadelphia PA
Found on March 4th 1975 on a Wrightstown farm shot and killed." I lived in Wrightstown for years,and never heard of that case either. Then again, i was only 4 years old in 1975

WIT, my bad, i lived in Wrightstown NJ, didnt know there was a Wrightstown PA

Unsolved Cases in Bucks County, PA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

County has long history as killers’ dumping ground

By BEN FINLEY
Bucks County Courier Times
17 May 2008

Last week’s murder involving one Philadelphia man allegedly shooting another on a Bensalem exit ramp wasn’t the first time big-city killers did their dirty work here.

For years, Lower Bucks was a place where out-of-towners turned up dead.

Transvestites and underworld figures from Philadelphia and New York have ended up on the sides of highways and in parking lots. A farmer found the body of a kidnapped teenage girl in his fields.

In the 1970s and 1980s in particular, the number of non-residents found dead in Lower Bucks was more than a dozen. The county’s quieter parts of I-95, Route 1 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike have attracted killers looking for a quiet place to dump and a quick getaway.

“You can’t dump a body on I-95 and the Betsy Ross Bridge. Someone will find it immediately,” said former Bucks District Attorney Alan Rubenstein, who’s now a county judge. “Once you get past Woodhaven [Road], things become a little quieter at night …. The people who do these things usually don’t think them through. The first isolated spot they find is usually where it occurs.”

The murders can put strains on local police, requiring the cooperation of several jurisdictions, even states, which is the case with last week’s murder.

Yet the phenomenon of body dumping in Bucks has faded.

Development and population growth seem to be the main factors, officials said. The highways aren’t as quiet, the woods less thick.

“Bucks County is becoming more urbanized,” said Rubenstein, who prosecuted some of the murderers who dumped bodies here in the 1970s and 1980s. (If police establish that the killing occurred somewhere outside of Bucks, the non-Bucks jurisdiction investigates and prosecutes the crime.)

“And most homicides in Philadelphia stay in Philadelphia. People are shot on the street. They’re found where they are shot,” he said. “People are shot in drivebys and ambushed.”

Marissa Levy, an environmental criminologist who studies the relationship between crime and the layout of a city, also attributed the decline in body dumping to development.

Levy, who teaches at Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, said murderers usually leave bodies or kill people in places they’re familiar with. Most folks who live in Philadelphia or New York are acquainted with Bucks County’s major highways.

But, she said, “as an area becomes more developed, there’s less places to stash a body.”
In 1979, after nine non-county residents were found dead here in six years, then Bucks DA Kenneth Biehn acknowledged the problem was one that aggravates suburban areas around the country.

“When you have a situation where none of the players are from the area, it makes it well nigh on to impossible for local investigators to make any headway,” Biehn said back then.

Yet despite the obvious challenges, Bucks law enforcement officials often working with other jurisdictions have solved some of those murders. That was the case with last Sunday’s murder in Bensalem, according to police.

Bensalem police last week charged Philadelphia resident Omar Shariff Cash with the execution-style killing of Philadelphia resident Edgar Rosas- Gutierrez on the exit ramp linking Route 1 to Street Road.

Cash allegedly carjacked Rosas- Gutierrez and his female friend in Philadelphia’s Juniata section. He then drove to Bucks to kill Rosas-Gutierrez and rape the woman there and later in New Jersey, police said. Cash was arrested in New York City.

Below are some of the murder cases involving non-county residents:
2004: Trenton resident Kenyatta Ward, 20, was strangled in New Jersey’s capital city and dumped in woods in Morrisville. Two Trenton residents were convicted in her death.

1997: Li Jia Qiang, a 27-year-old Chinese immigrant living in New York City, was found murdered and stuffed in a trash can on I-95 in Lower Makefield. His hands had been mutilated by a sharp object. But police were able to get a fingerprint and identify him. The case is unsolved.

1986: Tina Severns was kidnapped in Philadelphia by Albert J. Altimari, who raped and murdered her before dumping her body while she was still alive on West Trenton Avenue near Route 13 in Falls. Altimari was sentenced to life in prison.

1986: Faustino “Tina” Arryo, 27, and Jonathan “Tanya” Streater were transvestite prostitutes working the streets of Philadelphia. They were found charred and mutilated after police responded to a report of a brush fire on the side of Trenton Road in Middletown. Two men in a car had picked them up in the city. Investigators guessed the men became angry after learning the two prostitutes were men. The case is unsolved.

1981: Anthony Todd was a Philadelphia cab driver who worked in Center City. The 25-year-old was found shot to death at the intersection of Third and Miller avenues in Bristol Township. The killer then drove Todd’s taxi to a deserted area on Grundy Lane off Newportville Road and deserted the vehicle. The case is unsolved.

1978: Charles “Little Ceasar” Sherman, a reputed underworld figure from Philadelphia, was found dead along I-95 in Middletown. He had been executed “gangland” style. The case is unsolved.

1975: Valerie Seibert, 16, was discovered lying in a field near Second Street Pike and Swamp Road in Wrightstown by a farmer. Seibert, who was an 11th-grader at George Washington High School in Philadelphia, was missing for two days from her home in on Chilton Road in Northeast Philadelphia. Police also said they believed that Seibert was shot twice on the farm. The case is unsolved.

Ben Finley can be reached at 215-949-4203 or bfinley@phillyBurbs.com.

I grew up with Valerie Seibert. She suddenly disappeared during junior year of HS. How sad to find out what really happened this way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerseyLizard
Back