Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: NM - Double murder of Mattie Restine (13) & Patty Pritz (14), Carlsbad, 1961 - #1

Quote Originally Posted by farawaygirl View Post
    My older sister graduated in 1960 and there is a Ruth Ann Warble in her yearbook. She didn't know her well, but sort of remembers her. So maybe we could also search for Ruth Ann, maybe THEY were sisters. And my sister knows a Raymond Rice, she thought maybe he could be a brother. Or these could be relatives, at least. She is going to try to find out.
    Thank you! Warble and Rice aren't that common of names so they are likely related and that may help in locating them. I know there was a Buddy Rice that graduated in 1964 but I don't know if he is related or not. Finding Margaret could really really help us! Unfortunately the census records for 1961aren't available on line yet. I don't know how to access those, does anyone know? I used to have an old phone book from Carlsbad but I haven't been able to find it. I wonder if the library there might have those available?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jan1966 For This Useful Post:

It's seems like I'm the only one on here now. I came into this about a week ago and I see where it was pretty much discontinued in December. I have hope for the case, as long as people that care are still alive. Even though the killer may have gotten away in this life, he will still face eternal punishment. I also believe that finding the killer is about honoring Patty and Mattie's memory. We just cannot give up!
    What was the address of Earl Nichols on Bonita Street? I can't find it again or where I wrote it down. I lived on Bonita Street from birth (1949) till 2nd grade (1955). Our next door neighbors last name was Nicoles. I don't know how much longer they lived there after we moved in '55. My sister was good friends with their daughter (Nichols stepdaughter). She reminded me that the man's name was Doyle (Red) Nichols. Could it have been a relative to Earl? Two Nichols on Bonita Street? I have asked my sister to check with her friend to see if they were related to Earl and whatever else she could find out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to farawaygirl For This Useful Post:

Sunshine ~ What is Earl Nicole's daughter's name? Can you disclose that online?

Rogge's Grocery store was located on the corner of Mermod and Mesa Sts. from it's former location on 6th St. and was owned by Ron Rogge. My friend in C'bad told me that he knows a guy named Ronnie Rice who works in the oilfield near Carlsbad and his age is about 38, perhaps he's Ronnie Rice Jr. but he's not listed in the Carlsbad phone book.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbi For This Useful Post:

Nichols

Sunshine ~ What is Earl Nicole's daughter's name? Can you disclose that online?
    The daughters that we are talking about (Earl Nichols daughters) are: Gladine Lane, and Katie Pinson...Pinson lived on Bonita St. Lane lived in Big Springs, Texas.

His other children were:
    James Elmo
    Corine G.
    Lucille
    J.B.
    Robert Carson
    John L.
    Raymond Earle
    Wendell Ross
    Syble Lois

All of these people are deceased along with Gladine and Katie.
    Last edited by Sunshine 1950; 02-08-2010 at 03:27 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine 1950 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1966 View Post
    Thank you! Warble and Rice aren't that common of names so they are likely related and that may help in locating them. I know there was a Buddy Rice that graduated in 1964 but I don't know if he is related or not. Finding Margaret could really really help us! Unfortunately
    the census records for 1961aren't available on line yet. I don't know how to access those, does anyone know?
    I used to have an old phone book from Carlsbad but I haven't been able to find it. I wonder if the library there might have those available?
    US Census records have a 72 yr rule of privacy, on line or otherwise. The latest records available to the public is 1930, released just a few years ago.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hurricane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    Rogge's Grocery store was located on the corner of Mermod and Mesa Sts. from it's former location on 6th St. and was owned by Ron Rogge. My friend in C'bad told me that he knows a guy named Ronnie Rice who works in the oilfield near Carlsbad and his age is about 38, perhaps he's Ronnie Rice Jr. but he's not listed in the Carlsbad phone book.
    Bobbi could you find out if there was a grocery store by the name of Roses Grocery? That was the name of the store given in the rape case for DB. I can see how Rogges & Roses may have been the same store.

Not Giving UP

It's seems like I'm the only one on here now. I came into this about a week ago and I see where it was pretty much discontinued in December. I have hope for the case, as long as people that care are still alive. Even though the killer may have gotten away in this life, he will still face eternal punishment. I also believe that finding the killer is about honoring Patty and Mattie's memory. We just cannot give up!
    What was the address of Earl Nichols on Bonita Street? I can't find it again or where I wrote it down. I lived on Bonita Street from birth (1949) till 2nd grade (1955). Our next door neighbors last name was Nicoles. I don't know how much longer they lived there after we moved in '55. My sister was good friends with their daughter (Nichols stepdaughter). She reminded me that the man's name was Doyle (Red) Nichols. Could it have been a relative to Earl? Two Nichols on Bonita Street? I have asked my sister to check with her friend to see if they were related to Earl and whatever else she could find out.
    Thank You for the information Farawaygirl....I posted the names for you.
    Also...Please know that I will never give up on finding out who killed my sister, Mattie...and also Patty. You are correct...they will pay for there deeds when they are judged on Judgement Day.
    I have actively worked on this case for over ten years now and have also lived with the horrible memory of it my whole life.... no one will ever make me stop...not the ECSO...not the State of New Mexico. These agencies will not help me...but they can't stop me. Mattie and Patty deserve JUSTICE...and someday they will have it.
    Last edited by Sunshine 1950; 02-08-2010 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine 1950 View Post
    Bobbi could you find out if there was a grocery store by the name of Roses Grocery? That was the name of the store given in the rape case for DB. I can see how Rogges & Roses may have been the same store.
    Sunshine, I just called my friend who has lived in C'bad his whole life (54 yrs.) and he said he never heard of Rose's Grocery store, his family owned Crump's Grocery store many years ago. Clarence Rogge was Ron Rogge's father and worked as an insurance agent in C'bad. It doesn't surprise me one bit for the ECSO or anyone else for that matter to mispell words, purposely or otherwise.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbi For This Useful Post:

Changing the subject ... Oprah interviewed 4 child molesters on her show today, Feb. 8th. Everyone on this website would probably be interested in seeing it. Very informative! She said it would be run again on Oprah.com at 8:00 central time, tonight.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Clover1 For This Useful Post:

Rogges Grocery/Roses Grocery

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    Sunshine, I just called my friend who has lived in C'bad his whole life (54 yrs.) and he said he never heard of Rose's Grocery store, his family owned Crump's Grocery store many years ago. Clarence Rogge was Ron Rogge's father and worked as an insurance agent in C'bad. It doesn't surprise me one bit for the ECSO or anyone else for that matter to mispell words, purposely or otherwise.
    Well when Farawaygirl said that there was a Rogges Grocery I just figured they mispelled the name of the store. So now it would probably be okay to say it was the Rogges Grocery...not Roses. Anyway...will keep my ears and eyes open to get it correct...thanks Bobbi

I have some new info for you. My sister knew KB. She said he was older than DB and that she thought DB was in her class of '60 but that he didn't graduate. She knew DB was his brother. KB tried to go out with her but she wouldn't, although he did steal a kiss from her. He worked at the grocery store at the time. I THINK the one that was way up on church street close to the 8th Street intersection. She said DB and KB were very different people. KB was nice guy and he married someone else she knew named Glenda. She thought she was a Mormon and that they had moved to Utah at once point. She does have a picture of KB in her Annual and is going to try to scan it and also Glenda's picture. She thinks they are still married.

She talked to a friend of hers who also told her that there is a place on Church Street call The Oasis and that at this place and that they keep all archived articles that were ever in the Current Argus. She knows this because of friend of hers was looking for an old picture that was in the paper. She said it is just past the A & W Drive, but she doesn't know which direction. I just tried to call and get their phone # and information could not find them.

She also has a friend that lives and had worked in the sheriff's office or police dept. (she wasn't sure which) and I have her name too if you think it can help.

My sister does know a Raymond Rice but he is not related to any Ronnie Rice. But, get this, Raymond's daughter was murdered in Waco, Texas and there is a book written about it called Careless Whispers by Carlton Stowers.

Also, my cousin was married to a girl and her maiden name was Rice. I am checking into getting her first name and further information from her. Even though we may not find out anything from the daughter, MAYBE there are cousins, or other relatives out there, that can shed some light.

Like you've said before, there is SOMEONE out there who knows something.
    Last edited by farawaygirl; 02-08-2010 at 09:47 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to farawaygirl For This Useful Post:

The Mormon church has a geneology office somewhere in C'bad, I'll try to find out where it is and we'll go from there, hopefully they will have records.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbi For This Useful Post:

I have some new info for you. My sister knew KB. She said he was older than DB and that she thought DB was in her class of '60 but that he didn't graduate. She knew DB was his brother. KB tried to go out with her but she wouldn't, although he did steal a kiss from her. He worked at the grocery store at the time. I THINK the one that was way up on church street close to the 8th Street intersection. She said DB and KB were very different people. KB was nice guy and he married someone else she knew named Glenda. She thought she was a Mormon and that they had moved to Utah at once point. She does have a picture of KB in her Annual and is going to try to scan it and also Glenda's picture. She thinks they are still married.

She talked to a friend of hers who also told her that there is a place on Church Street call The Oasis and that at this place and that they keep all archived articles that were ever in the Current Argus. She knows this because of friend of hers was looking for an old picture that was in the paper. She said it is just past the A & W Drive, but she doesn't know which direction. I just tried to call and get their phone # and information could not find them.

She also has a friend that lives and had worked in the sheriff's office or police dept. (she wasn't sure which) and I have her name too if you think it can help.

My sister does know a Raymond Rice but he is not related to any Ronnie Rice. But, get this, Raymond's daughter was murdered in Waco, Texas and there is a book written about it called Careless Whispers by Carlton Stowers.

Also, my cousin was married to a girl and her maiden name was Rice. I am checking into getting her first name and further information from her. Even though we may not find out anything from the daughter, MAYBE there are cousins, or other relatives out there, that can shed some light.

Like you've said before, there is SOMEONE out there who knows something.
    OMG, the Lake Waco Murders. I read that book. Even scanned it for the names of some of the creeps associated to see if any of them could've possibly been connected to the disappearance of the 3 girls from Fort Worth, TX.

Ya'll are concentrating in an area now in which I really can't help as I'm not from Carlsbad. Keep it going though because I feel you are bound to uncover some good stuff!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to justthinkin For This Useful Post:

I know a family in C'bad named Rice but I'm not sure if they are related. Barbara Rice, age around 65+ and her daughter Sherri, will try to find more info on them.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbi For This Useful Post:

There is also a non-denominational church in C'bad called 'The Oasis' on Lea St. next to the Current-Argus newspaper office.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbi For This Useful Post:

Wink The Oasis

I found that out when I called information for the phone number. They only had the church listed and nothing else. I am going to double check with my sister and see if she can delve into that a bit.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to farawaygirl For This Useful Post:

thanks

I found that out when I called information for the phone number. They only had the church listed and nothing else. I am going to double check with my sister and see if she can delve into that a bit.
    thank you farawaygirl...any information would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine 1950 View Post
    The daughters that we are talking about (Earl Nichols daughters) are: Gladine Lane, and Katie Pinson...Pinson lived on Bonita St. Lane lived in Big Springs, Texas.

His other children were:
    James Elmo
    Corine G.
    Lucille
    J.B.
    Robert Carson
    John L.
    Raymond Earle
    Wendell Ross
    Syble Lois

All of these people are deceased along with Gladine and Katie.
    I lived next door to a family named Pinson about the time of the murders. It was during the strike at the mines. I don't know if they were new to the area but they did move next door to us and the dad took a job at the mines. They had a son a little older than me.....don't know if they were related. Don't remember the parents names but I do remember their son's name was Gary.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to farawaygirl For This Useful Post:

Gary

I lived next door to a family named Pinson about the time of the murders. It was during the strike at the mines. I don't know if they were new to the area but they did move next door to us and the dad took a job at the mines. They had a son a little older than me.....don't know if they were related. Don't remember the parents names but I do remember their son's name was Gary.
    Well if the son's name was Gary...he was probably Katie Pinson's son. She live on Bonita St. I will have to look up the address, but we have it on the car registration forms that Earl Nichols bought. Isn't it strange how little things just pop up and you find yourself in the middle of things...especially things like this. You never know when or how information can be used in solving a case. We are trying to find someone that might have knew the lady that Katie Pinson took care of ....her name was Mary...that's all we know. Maybe you can remember the neighbors that were there. This Mary supposedly had demencia or Alzheimers maybe. Anyway thank you for the information.

Note: I see we posted at the same time, Sunshine. Sorry for any duplication of information.

I've been watching the post while dealing with some major family illnesses, but just wanted to acknowledge what a great job you are all doing on this. I'm still here...just listening - sometimes that is the best thing to do, especially when you don't know what else to do. The Carlsbad locals will be crucial in solving this - I've believed that all along, so keep up the good work!

If Gary's parents were LC and Katiebell Pinson you were next door neighbors to them. They lived on Bonita Street. Now, if you can remember Gary's grandfather visiting about the time of the murders, you might have even come face to face with Earl Nichols on this visit or another one of his trips to Carlsbad.

Can you remember what color of car Nichols was driving or anything unusual about that household around the time of the murders?

Katiebell is the one who had shared with her sister that she thought Earl Nichols, their father, was involved in the girls' murders due to remarks he made about being at the beach and seeing the girls (and even overhearing them making the phone call for Patty's mother to come pick them up) and the condition of his car after the murders. He said when they found out Patty's mother wouldn't be coming someone offered them a ride and they went with this someone. But, we know that is not true because they were spotted a short time and distance later walking in front of Linda Roberts' house on their way home.

If Katiebell would have shared anything with anyone else, or if anyone else noticed anything, it could possibly move us forward on this angle. Katiebell cared for a lady with Alzheimers for many years after her husband's death. He died from a heart attack at a fairly young age. He was also believed to have been a preacher in a church. Would you know what church they attended? Do you remember anything as far as who the family friends were, the lady Katiebell cared for, Gary's subsequent time in prison, etc? Anything, anything at all...

You can share the information directly with Sunshine if you are not comfortable posting it here.
    Last edited by Legacy; 02-12-2010 at 02:24 PM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Legacy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Note: I see we posted at the same time, Sunshine. Sorry for any duplication of information.

I've been watching the post while dealing with some major family illnesses, but just wanted to acknowledge what a great job you are all doing on this. I'm still here...just listening - sometimes that is the best thing to do, especially when you don't know what else to do. The Carlsbad locals will be crucial in solving this - I've believed that all along, so keep up the good work!

If Gary's parents were LC and Katiebell Pinson you were next door neighbors to them. They lived on Bonita Street. Now, if you can remember Gary's grandfather visiting about the time of the murders, you might have even come face to face with Earl Nichols on this visit or another one of his trips to Carlsbad.

Can you remember what color of car Nichols was driving or anything unusual about that household around the time of the murders?

Katiebell is the one who had shared with her sister that she thought Earl Nichols, their father, was involved in the girls' murders due to remarks he made about being at the beach and seeing the girls (and even overhearing them making the phone call for Patty's mother to come pick them up) and the condition of his car after the murders. He said when they found out Patty's mother wouldn't be coming someone offered them a ride and they went with this someone. But, we know that is not true because they were spotted a short time and distance later walking in front of Linda Roberts' house on their way home.

If Katiebell would have shared anything with anyone else, or if anyone else noticed anything, it could possibly move us forward on this angle. Katiebell cared for a lady with Alzheimers for many years after her husband's death. He died from a heart attack at a fairly young age. He was also believed to have been a preacher in a church. Would you know what church they attended? Do you remember anything as far as who the family friends were, the lady Katiebell cared for, Gary's subsequent time in prison, etc? Anything, anything at all...

You can share the information directly with Sunshine if you are not comfortable posting it here.

Thank You Legacy....hope things are much better with your family. I know an illness can really slow the family down. Also make one realize how important family is to us.
    Legacy thank you for pointing the information we do know about the Pinson and Nichols family.
    Farawaygirl has shared interesting information regarding this case. Like I said before...the least little bit of information can really lead to something big...so please keep the information coming. You never know when it will help solve a case.
    Thanks Farawaygirl for the information you have shared with me. Anyone can contact me through my email or PM me. Thanks.....

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine 1950 For This Useful Post:

Great news.....a neice of Margaret Warble's has emailed me...I'm waiting on Maragret Warble to call me....I'm very excited to talk with her. Thank You for helping me out....

Newspaper articles

Hobbs Daily News - Sun / Friday, January 24, 1964

Held 18 months, Parsons freed in two killings

(API) Franklin (Buddy) Parsons is free after being held prisoner for about 18 months in the shooting deaths of two Carlsbad teen-age girls.
    “I don’t know the details . . . but if he had been put away without being sure it wouldn’t have made me feel any better,” Mrs. Pete Restine said in Carlsbad this morning.
    Mrs. Restine’s daughter, Mattie Catherine, 13, and Pattie Sue Pritz, 14, were found shot to death August 13, 1961. They had disappeared two days earlier while at the Carlsbad Municipal Beach. Parson was arrested August, 1962, in connection to the murders.
    Parsons, 23, was released Thursday from State Prison, where he had been held for examinations after District Attorney Pat Hanagan of Roswell reported there was insufficient evidence to bring him to trial.
    The mother of Pattie Sue Pritz, Mrs. Cullen Davidson, said this morning, “I just can’t comment …but in a way I feel …relieved. I know there has been suspects better than him (Parsons) …at times he acted as though he didn‘t know what it was all about.“
    Parson’s mother, who has her son home with her now in Albuquerque, has steadfastly maintained that her son didn’t know what he was doing when he signed a confession statement. She said her son is mentally retarded and can neither read nor write.
    “I can’t say how I feel about the possibility of any injustice (in holding Parsons prisoner) …there’s a lot that I don’t know,” said Mrs. Davidson. “I know the police put a lot of work into it …I worked right with the police on this …I’ve had my doubts (about Parsons). All my life I have studied detective stories and I’m now studying crime …in (the beginning of this case they had one suspect in whose car they found a tube of lipstick, a Navy button and a billfold …I was never shown these things that I might have identified …both of the girls were wearing sailor type suits. This character had scratches on his face …he left town.”
    But about Parsons. Mrs. Davidson said she had had her doubts. “I couldn’t say either way,” she said.
    In Roswell, District Attorney Pat Hanagan said, “The investigation has to go on.” He was asked if this means the investigation is back where it started. “That’s about what it amounts to, he said. “ I wouldn’t want to comment any further other than to say the charges against Parsons have been dismissed …the trial was to have started next week.”
    Parsons was dismissed to the custody of his attorneys , T.E. (Gene) Lusk and John B. Walker. His parents met the young man at a Santa Fe psychiatrist’s office. After a tearful reunion, the family left for their Albuquerque home. Parsons has under gone numerous psychiatric tests.
    The New Mexico Association for Retarded Children became interested in the case but had no official contact with Parsons or officials connected with the proceedings.
    Ed Voorhees of Los Alamos, a member of the association board said, “We did discuss it. We were gathering more information but that’s as far as it went.”

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ouiser For This Useful Post:

Albuquerque Tribune, January 5, 1962

SUSPECT QUIZZED IN NM KILLINGS

LITTLETON, Colo., Jan. 5, (UPI) -- New Mexico law officers have questioned Alfred W. Ratzloff concerning a double murder at Carlsbad, NM.

Ratzloff has admitted the kidnap-shooting of Sandra Lee Smith, 16, an Aurora, Colo., high school student. New Mexico authorities asked to question the 42 year-old suspect because of the similarity between the case and the Carlsbad murders.

Authorities hoped to gain a new lead in the murders of Mattie Restine, 13, and Patty Sue Pritz, 14, August 11, 1961.

Two New Mexico officers questioned Ratzloff, but released no detaills of their investigation. Arapaho County Chief Investigator Bill Marragos said Ratzloff denied the killings.

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ouiser For This Useful Post:

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041 LastLast