FL - Ashley Diaz, 4 mos, died covered in bite marks, Orlando, 10 Aug 2009

Brini

Future Irene Adler
Reaction score
Mom Arrested After Baby Found Bitten, Dead

Posted: 3:45 pm EDT August 24, 2009Updated: 4:00 pm EDT August 24, 2009
ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A mother in Orange County is accused of killing her baby. Investigators arrested Katie Furtaw on Friday and charged her with aggravated child abuse.

Detectives say Furtaw's 4-month-old daughter died sometime in August after being brought to the hospital.

Police say the baby had bruises and bite marks all over her body. The medical examiner has not released the cause of death.

Copyright 2009 by wftv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I am thinking eye for an eye on this one-whose with me?

Where is SCM when I need her-she always writes a more compassionate post that I can relate to...

they should be able to match the bite marks with mommy dearests teeth.

Sick!!

To have had a baby and to have seen him die, it breaks my heart to read this, I don't know if I can take much more:mad:

This isn't the first time I've read about a parent, step-parent or caregiver biting an infant. What is with that? I can't understand harming a child at all, but biting???

What the heck is in the water in Florida?

I know that stuff happens all over the world, but for some reason it seems Florida is a melting pot.

RIP little baby girl.

To have had a baby and to have seen him die, it breaks my heart to read this, I don't know if I can take much more:mad:

So sorry for your loss. I feel the same way. In fact, I did stay away for nearly a year at one point. But when I come here, it is the little ones that draw my attention, even though those are the stories that hurt the worst. I think we all wish there was more we could do for them. And even turning to CPS isn't always an answer, as we have seen over and over. It's very frustrating but neither can we give up on them.:blowkiss:

Jesus......what is wrong with these people! I don't even know what to say anymore, I feel such anger and horror..........

Anyone have a link for the article? TIA :)

Lord have Mercy, what is going on? This is almost too sad and difficult to envision. I have to believe that many of these killers had people around them that ignored signs that abuse might be occurring. I am sorry but I just don't understand how people just snap one day and kill their children. I really believe there must be signs to some degree that abuse is going on.

Please people report the red flags you see. A child's life could be saved.

Oh my God I am so SICK of these sperm and egg donors hurting/killing their babies! Babies cry! It's their only way of communicating their needs and wants! If you can't handle a baby crying, USE PROTECTION or give the baby up for adoption to a family who will love and cherish the child like he or she deserves! Or just CALL someone and have them come help out to care for the baby if you're at your breaking point. Don't harm your innocent little angels. :(

My own 18-month-old baby is sitting here all cuddled up with me right now and I just can't for the life of me imagine EVER harming her in ANY way. I just don't get what goes through these peoples' minds. I just want to cry for all these poor babies out there that never got the chance to be loved like they so deserved. I wish I could have shown them what it feels like to be loved and safe :(

Oh my God I am so SICK of these sperm and egg donors hurting/killing their babies! Babies cry! It's their only way of communicating their needs and wants! If you can't handle a baby crying, USE PROTECTION or give the baby up for adoption to a family who will love and cherish the child like he or she deserves! Or just CALL someone and have them come help out to care for the baby if you're at your breaking point. Don't harm your innocent little angels. :(

My own 18-month-old baby is sitting here all cuddled up with me right now and I just can't for the life of me imagine EVER harming her in ANY way. I just don't get what goes through these peoples' minds. I just want to cry for all these poor babies out there that never got the chance to be loved like they so deserved. I wish I could have shown them what it feels like to be loved and safe :(

I feel the same way and also have a 20 month old...........call someone, go to a neighbor..do something!

Lord have Mercy, what is going on? This is almost too sad and difficult to envision. I have to believe that many of these killers had people around them that ignored signs that abuse might be occurring. I am sorry but I just don't understand how people just snap one day and kill their children. I really believe there must be signs to some degree that abuse is going on.

Please people report the red flags you see. A child's life could be saved.

DCF was involved two months ago according to the article.

The Department of Children and Families said it began investigating the family two months before the baby's death after the father allowed their 2-year-old son wander out of their apartment. DCF said the boy is staying with relatives.

Almost every time you hear of something like this happening, you read "Child Protective Services" had "investigated" before.

COME ON!!! What is the deal?

I have heard so many times how the are over worked and under paid. Things just happen to slip thru. IMO - enough is enough. The system is broken. Case workers are not qualified in most cases. Or they are simply jaded.

Do the children of this world not deserve more????

I am so sick of millions of dollars thrown all over this country for this or that and the every body knows we need a major overhaul for our children's sake, yet nothing is done.

Government should worry more about this sick system we call child protection services and less about big businesses and oil prices.

IMO

I'm fed up!!!

It was drugs-my guess is meth or crack...this is what seems to be stripping away people's control so they do something so senseless and vicious to someone so innocent.

One month ago my 11 month old granddaughter came home from her dad's with 11 DEEP bite marks, a bruise on her left cheek, a black eye and a place on the back of her head. I took my daughter to the PD and a report was filed and sent to DCS. Almost 2 weeks later DCS interviewed my daughter. The "dad" is currently in jail (not related to this incident) on a probation violation (he went to jail the day after it happened), but will be out in 10 days. At that time, he gets to see his daughter again. We have been fighting this from the day it happened. Not only has DCS let us down, but the judge has as well. The system is extremely screwed up. My fear is that she'll be hurt worse next time.......and our hands are legally tied. What is it going to take for us to get the system to work at protecting the ones who can't protect themselves?

anneoakley, I'm so sorry for your situation. Is the father on drugs? Did he give any reasons for his behavior? I will keep you and yours in my prayers.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back