Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3799dmns.html

Howard Newell
Missing since January 22, 1955 from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 6 years old
Circumstances of Disappearance
On January 22, 1955, Howard Newell vanished while walking home from a woodlot where members of his family were cutting firewood.
In the days and weeks that followed, the largest search in Yarmouth County history unfolded in the woods and marsh areas of Little River Harbour. More than 1,000 searchers scoured the area searching for the little boy, but there was never any trace of him.
The police concluded that the boy had likely drowned and his body had been washed out to sea.

I remember my father talking about this case, I was 2 at the time he went missing, so I don't recall the actual event. My father went on one of the searches, and had developed a few theories of his own.

Dewey what were your father's theories?

I wonder if he did fall through the ice? I know the family doesn't really believe that but after having read a lot of accidents where the body isn't recovered it can be so difficult for a family to accept that an accident did indeed happen because they don't have their loved one to lay to rest.

I have no clue. JMHO.

Dewey what were your father's theories?

I wonder if he did fall through the ice? I know the family doesn't really believe that but after having read a lot of accidents where the body isn't recovered it can be so difficult for a family to accept that an accident did indeed happen because they don't have their loved one to lay to rest.

I have no clue. JMHO.

Thanks Kat. My father never discounted the story about the three men in the truck, the bon-fire etc., but if I remember correctly, there was another home the boy would have to pass if he came home by road. Some (including my father) thought the man in that home acted oddly after Howard went missing, and his lack of helping with the search, and some comments soon after raised some eyebrows.
It's been so many years now, I'd have to do a little research to refresh my one active brain cell to give more detailed information.

OT/ Once I get alittle more familiar with the search process here, there is another Nova Scotia case or 3 I'd like to address and get comments on as well. All are unsolved.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects
Back