mom sues school district, saying bullies drove teen daughter to anorexia

Actually, I think she has a good point and the lawsuit has merit. Bullying is out of control,imo.
The school did nothing and took the boys will be boys attitude.

On this one I am going to agree with the lawsuit sort of.
I myself was teased my senior year, yep I was getting hefty. I went to a doctor and got diet pills. I didn't eat for months, by Feb. I was weak and sick. I got the flu and still kept going. I ended up passed out inthe snow at a party. Then I had pneumoinia. Darn near killed me. Five weeks in intensive care. I almost didn't graduate. But by golly I only weighed 105 when all that was done.
What a mess. Thats what a little teasing can do. That was 1967.
In reality, it was my own fault.

If the mom tried to get help from the school and was ignored, then she has the right to try and sue and at least get money from them to pay for private school. My daughter had a cheerleader friend about 10 years ago who was repeatedly told by the cheerleader coach that she was too big and it led to her getting anorexa. It can happen. I would never allow my girls to even try out for cheerleader after hearing that. I'm sincerely thinking of consulting a lawyer about my grandson. I'm sick of my grandson's getting ISS due to their ADD. They are not educated when in ISS plus I am going to have to uproot and upset my little grandson next year because I don't want to be on the side of the school where the crossing guard continues to work even after my complaints about him. I can't go around the person who caused me distress due to stalking behavior and caused my grandsons harm, so I feel that I should be able to at least consult an attorney to see if there is any help for us in these matters.

ah, yes. This is what I like to see! A proactive parent that tries to help their kid when the kid tells them they're being picked on! Unlike my situation where I was told things like "They do it because they like you / are jealous of you. " :confused:

ah, yes. This is what I like to see! A proactive parent that tries to help their kid when the kid tells them they're being picked on! Unlike my situation where I was told things like "They do it because they like you / are jealous of you. " :confused:

I don't know if it was stated in this article,but according to our morning news that is exactly what the school told the mother.

If this mom needs to sue someone, then it should be the parents of the bullies. All her lawsuit will do is eat up the taxpayers dollars that fund already underfunded schools. How in th world will that help this situation?

On this one I am going to agree with the lawsuit sort of.
I myself was teased my senior year, yep I was getting hefty. I went to a doctor and got diet pills. I didn't eat for months, by Feb. I was weak and sick. I got the flu and still kept going. I ended up passed out inthe snow at a party. Then I had pneumoinia. Darn near killed me. Five weeks in intensive care. I almost didn't graduate. But by golly I only weighed 105 when all that was done.
What a mess. Thats what a little teasing can do. That was 1967.
In reality, it was my own fault.

Exactly! Nothing against the poster or anyone else's opinions however I feel like no one wants to take responsibility for his/her own actions. In addition, with the girl being a minor (assuming) God forbid mom would not take any responsibility. It's always someone else's fault. RIDICULOUS.

Bullying in school has always been out of control and only getting worse. I agree that there should be some type of protocol or standard re this type of behavior!

I don't know if it was stated in this article,but according to our morning news that is exactly what the school told the mother.

Tragic, but at least her mother cared enough to take her out of the situation. My situation was the complete opposite. Mom didn't give a , but when I wrote a letter to the vice principal, she called the offenders down to her office. I don't know what she told them, all I know is it involved verbally apologizing to me. I could have done without that because I felt obligated to say "I forgive you" which I did not. They ignored me after that, which is all I wanted. :woohoo:

I'd like to hear the school's side of the story. The article says that they ignored the mother's pleas for help with the bullying. If they did, that should be addressed. But is that true? There would be all kinds of documentation if they addressed the problem. I say this because last year I had two students fight in my room. The mother of one of the girls said that I ignored her daughter when the child (a junior!) complained to me that she was being bullied in class. The truth was that the girl never once said anything to me about being bullied. The two girls sat on opposite sides of the room. I didn't know they even knew each other, much less hated one another enough to fight in class. If anybody had come to me and said they were being bullied, or if I had seen it, I would have taken steps to stop it. But their "drama" happened in the hall on the way to class; in my class they were regular students. Until one day, out of nowhere it seemed, one girl said one thing, the other said something else, and before I knew it they were fighting.

My point is, I'd like to know if truly nothing was done about the bullying. The mother says one thing happened; what does the school say?

I believe there should be ZERO tolerance for bullying of any sort. If the school failed to take any action, and I've seen enough school do squat, they need to be sued. I further believe the guidance counselor, principal, and whomever else was cognizant of this bullying, needs to be reprimanded at the least. Anorexia is serious enough, but the bullying could have led the girl to suicide. Thank God it didn't.

My opinion only

I don't expect if the school did nothing they would admit to it especially in light of the current lawsuit. Columbine should have been a huge red flag to all schools just how damaging bullying/teasing can be.

We no longer live in a world where "boys will be boys" and "they do it cause they like you" can be used as excuses. These things need to be handled promptly and properly. I'm certain the school must have had policies in place on how to handle bullying. Had they followed their own policy and procedure, they likely wouldn't be facing a lawsuit now.

my daughter was assaulted at school- nothing was done. She developed anorexia and bulemia and her wt dropped to 50-61 lb. Kids at school left fake vomit in our driveway and also spray painted foul words in our drive. Meghan came close to dying numerous times. Her resting heart rate was 32. She required 3 hospitaliztions which totaled almost 1 year and cost us $850,000.00. The school did nothing. Finally at age 16 we had her legally emancipated and she skipped the rest of high school. She now has a Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology and a great job. She is in remission from the eating disorder. But, bullying almost killed her.

Tragic, but at least her mother cared enough to take her out of the situation. My situation was the complete opposite. Mom didn't give a , but when I wrote a letter to the vice principal, she called the offenders down to her office. I don't know what she told them, all I know is it involved verbally apologizing to me. I could have done without that because I felt obligated to say "I forgive you" which I did not. They ignored me after that, which is all I wanted. :woohoo:

sym33.jpg

If this mom needs to sue someone, then it should be the parents of the bullies. All her lawsuit will do is eat up the taxpayers dollars that fund already underfunded schools. How in th world will that help this situation?

I completely agree.

I think the reason our schools are so poor at educating our kids is that they've become responsible for addressing and "fixing" chidrens' bad behavior.

Schools are not babysitters - they are educators and if kids have behavioral problems the parents are responsible.

I will say the kids should have been suspended or disciplined depending upon what the school knows about what happened.

If this mother wants to be so darn proactive she should do what my mother did and show up at the school board meeting with me in tow and raise some bloody hell - THREATEN a lawsuit and watch their faces as they back peddle.

It's pretty easy to just go get an attorney and demand $$$$. That's just not right either.

In addition - there WILL ALWAYS BE BULLYING. Having a zero tolerance policy won't help. It is up to parents, once again, to teach their children early on about bullying, what it is, what to do - how to protect yourself from it. Opening that dialog might insure that your child will come to you before they start taking action that can do them harm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back