The Backyard

LinasK

Verified insider- Mark Dribin case
Reaction score
Thanks Mods! I just realized we have a whole forum now! Let's use this thread for all the information gleaned about the Garrido backyard.

Anyone who came across the couple's backyard, littered with garbage cans and a dishwasher, would assume that it ended at a six-foot fence.
"You could walk through the backyard and never know there was another set of living circumstances," said Fred Kollar, undersheriff of El Dorado County. "There was nothing that would cause you to question it. You can't see it from either adjoining property. It was presumably well arranged."

But tucked away beyond the tangle of bushes, high grass and trees was a blue tarp that concealed the only world Dugard had known since her abduction.
In it were sheds and tarps, a makeshift bathroom and shower, along with electricity supplied by an extension cord. Kollar compared the primitive conditions to camping.
Dugard lived for several years there by herself. The sheds were locked from the outside.
She grew up and had her captor's children there, and raised them there.
more at link: http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/27/...a.kidnap.shed/

While officials said that they were shocked by the secret compound, neighbors said they had known that Mr. Garrido had structures behind his house. But they had no idea anyone was living there.
“I knew he was always strange,” said Diane Doty, whose back fence was adjacent to the compound. “But I never saw the girl.”
Another neighbor, Heather McQuaid-Glace, said that children had long known to avoid Mr. Garrido — his registration as a sex offender was online and known among parents — but that nothing had aroused suspicion that a crime might be ongoing.
“We never heard screaming; we never heard anyone crying for help,” Ms. McQuaid-Glace said.
On Thursday, agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and other law enforcement agencies were combing the compound.
In one tent, a bouquet of yellow flowers was visible through a window. In front of another, a pair of children’s pink pajama bottoms had been removed and laid out by agents, near an evidence tag. Several ragged lawn chairs were laid about, as was a couch, a well-used barbecue, and several parched garden plants. On one shed, a heart-shape wall hanging was painted with the word “spring.”
Mr. Kollar said that the car believed to have been used in the kidnapping had also been found in the secret backyard area, which he said was strategically arranged “to isolate the victims” and not visible from the street.
Ms. Doty’s 9-year-old granddaughter, Megan, said that she had always found the area behind the fence “creepy,” but that she did not feel that way Thursday. “Finally,” Megan said, “I’m not scared anymore.” more at link: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/28/us/28abduct.html?hp

Bringing this post over to this thread
According to this witness there were two small children living there two years ago.

<snip> “Erika Pratt, 25, who lived next door two years ago, said she was continuously “freaked out” by Garrido’s behavior, and that when she popped her head over the fence she saw his secret compound. She saw tents, sheds and pit bull dogs, and water hoses leading from her house next door to the compound.

“He told us to come on over and hear him talk about God, but he was really weird,” Pratt said. “He had little girls and women living in that back yard, and they all looked kind of the same. They never talked, and they kept to themselves.”

Pratt said people came and went from the property, but the core group consisted of two girls about 4 years old, one girl about 11, another girl about 15 and a young woman about 25. They were all blonde, she said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/27/BA4N19EJ35.DTL&tsp=1#ixzz0PRPTcnNK

Moving this post too...

Backyard Compound in Antioch Appears to Have Been Kidnapped Child's Home for 18 Years
8/27/2009 4:24:00 PM
<snipped>
Investigators say Jaycee Lee Dugard appears to have been living in the backyard of an Antioch house since her kidnapping 18 years ago in the El Dorado County community of Myers.

Authorities say Dugard has cared for two little girls fathered by 58-year old Phillip Garrido in the backyard compound. Garrido and his wife Nancy are now in custody facing kidnapping, sexual assault, conspiracy and other charges.

"None of the children have ever been to school, they've never been to a doctor," El Dorado County Undersheriff Fred Kollar said. "They were kept in complete isolation in this compound, if you will."

4 Videos Included In Article!

Article:
http://www.kron4.com/News/ArticleVie...s/Default.aspx

god lord, why didn't they call the CFS? sometimes minding your own business is sinful.

I agree, sometimes it makes me really :furious: when neighbors etc of abuse victims and similar come out afterwards to talk to the media about what they'd seen. When children are involved I don't understand how people can just go about their business and not at least enquire:confused: There should be a law about that:furious:

I mean if everyone knew he was an SO and to be mindful...yet don't report the children in his yard...? wtf???

Does anyone have the link to see the backyard on google earth?

Oh my. NSC I was just getting ready to ask that. According to one of the comments on that news link it says you could see the tents in the backyard on Google earth. At least one of the neighbors knew the girls lived back there and he was listed as an SO.....HELLO????

But at least she was found. Her kids will be safe now.

Does anyone have the link to see the backyard on google earth?
JoeFromLB posted:
Yesterday, 07:14 PM
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/member.php?u=43352"]JoeFromLB[/SIZ"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
user_offline.gif

An up-close view of the tents in the backyard:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...00166&t=h&z=19

OH MY GOD....
I had no idea that she had his kids too....:rage: :eek:uch: :eek:uch:
Where are the Children now.
will any of them ever heal?
I did read somewhere that she will be meeting her real mom today :)

bringing this post over to this thread

originally posted by thatswhatshesaid
according to this witness there were two small children living there two years ago.

<snip> “erika pratt, 25, who lived next door two years ago, said she was continuously “freaked out” by garrido’s behavior, and that when she popped her head over the fence she saw his secret compound. She saw tents, sheds and pit bull dogs, and water hoses leading from her house next door to the compound.

“he told us to come on over and hear him talk about god, but he was really weird,” pratt said. “he had little girls and women living in that back yard, and they all looked kind of the same. They never talked, and they kept to themselves.”

pratt said people came and went from the property, but the core group consisted of two girls about 4 years old, one girl about 11, another girl about 15 and a young woman about 25. They were all blonde, she said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0prptcnnk

ok, where are the two 4 year olds??????????

:eek:
fran

My local news showed a 3D animated video of the backyard, but I can't find it anywhere online. Has anyone else seen it?

http://splashnewsonline.celebuzz.com/

Aerial pictures show toys outside and what is believed to be a shower covered under a blue police tent.

Nearer the house is what is thought to be a soundproof shed.

On a poice truck in the driveway sits a car that matched a description of the abductor's car 18 years ago.

thanks, these are great quality pics! it makes me so mad to look at how well manicured his home and lawn are and then it just fades to squalor back where poor Jaycee and the children were kept. i keep wondering about how he said in his KCRA interview that the kids had slept with him since they were born. i bet anything he used the children to keep Jaycee in compliance mode...maybe only bringing them as a "reward" to her or something and then leaving her out there alone to go crazy with the thoughts of what he might be doing to them at night. that is, if what he says is true..who knows right now. i just feel so badly for them...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back