VA VA - David Metzler, 19, & Heidi Childs, 18, fatally shot, Montgomery Co, 26 Aug 2009

Wow. I thought this was going to be another campus shooting, but lt's a murder at a camp site (or maybe a murder/suicide?). The guy was found still in the car. I feel so bad for their families.

Everything I've read this morning states homicide. One article (I think the one I linked) says that the police are talking with persons of interest or people that were in that area, but would give no further information).

This is so sad.

I live in VA, a couple of hours away from Tech, so we hear things about the school all the time on the local news. In addition to the horrible violence we have seen in recent years, there have also been deaths by car accidents (one of the massacre witnesses died), a skateboarding accident, students falling from windows or balconies (1 died). There has also been issues with students getting run over in the crosswalks by hit and run drivers. Not to mention the bad light brought by both the Vick brothers, Michael for dogfighting and Marcus for pulling a gun on a young guy in a fast food restaurant, and Peter Rose lost his scholarship to the school when busted for selling drugs within 1,000 feet of a school.

Not on the scale of the school's tragedies, but still very sad.

If I was a parent helping my children choose a college, it would be hard for me to choose Tech. I'm sure some of the above happens at lots of other colleges, but combined with the tragedies I just don't think it's a very safe place.

My heart goes out to the families of these two students. I hope they find who did this to them.

Two Virginia Tech students were found shot to death at a forest campground that is a popular campus hangout, and police have "several persons of interest" but haven't yet identified a suspect or revealed a motive.

The bodies of David Lee Metzler, 19, of Lynchburg and Heidi Lynn Childs, 18, of Forest were discovered early Thursday by a passerby at Jefferson National Forest, Montgomery County Sheriff's Lt. Brian Wright said. Both had been shot.

Wright said Metzler's body was found inside a car in the parking area of the Caldwell Fields campground, and Childs was found outside the car. The campground is about 15 miles from Virginia Tech's campus in Blacksburg.

Authorities have “several persons of interest” but have yet to name a suspect, according to the Lynchburg News & Advance.

Police believe the most recent crime may be random, according to the Norfolk Crime Examiner.

More at link: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,543985,00.html?test=latestnews

I agree, everything I've read says homicide as well. They are also reporting on a few local Virgina Tech campus websites that the campground was about 20 miles outside of Virginia Tech, near a shooting range. Both students lived off-campus and the crime occured off-campus.

So sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to their families.

They are reporting on the 5:30pm news here that it is being called a "random act."

Such a senseless crime. :behindbar

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/video/detail/7672f610-e55d-102c-bc4d-001ec92a4a0d/44545/

Lynchburg area remembers Virginia Tech students killed
http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local...remembers_virginia_tech_student_killed/44480/

They also had a very touching video of their former boss in Lynchburg paying her respects and talking about the two students lives together. I was hoping to find the video to it online but it hasn't posted yet.

Oh this is so very sad. Two beautiful, young people with their whole lives ahead of them just senselessly murdered for no apparent reason. WTH?

Prayers to their families and friends. And that their killer(s) will be caught soon.

Poilce are saying it was a random act. And they will not stop till they find out who committed this crime. I live in the area. And will try helping keep you guys updated.

I really hope whoever did this is caught!!! It worries me that she was found outside the car. I believe I read that. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, she was found outside the car, the young man was still in the car. It reminded me of the murders that happened in the Shenandoah. I know two women were killed, but I think there were more.
Whenever my son tells me his friend who lives in Chantilly is going hiking I get really concerned. I just don't feel like these are safe places.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back