The Neighbors Yard

Bibliophile

Reaction score
Hi all -

I read mentions of this on another thread and figured it might deserve its own.

LE is now searching the next door neighbor's property. The current owner has been identified as Damon Robinson who reportedly has lived there for over more than three years. In 2006 (obviously not long after Robinson moved in) it was his girlfriend who called police and reported children living in tents in the backyard.

My guess is the impetus behind the search has nothing to do with Robinson, but the previous owner. If this house was indeed the one that previously belonged to Jack Medieros, then Garrido most likely had liberal access and could have hidden the unthinkable there.

" ...Garrido was the subject of a criminal probe that began in 2008 and had nothing to do with sex crimes. Aguinaga said Garrido was suspected of bilking an elderly neighbor out of his life savings. A complaint was lodged on the man's behalf when he moved to Friendship Residential Care in Antioch, Aguinaga said. The elder care home relayed allegations that from late 2007 to March 2008, Garrido swindled Dilbert "Jack" Medieros, now 79, of nearly $18,000. In the end, prosecutors cited insufficient evidence in declining to file charges in April. Garrido told police that Medieros had given him money to help start a church. He also told investigators that he had known Medieros for years and took him places such as the zoo."

Police are calling Robinson's back yard "a crime scene."

"Robinson could not be reached. He earlier told The Associated Press that Phillip Garrido was the caretaker of the house until Robinson moved there in 2006. Neighbour Janice Deitrich, 66, also said that Phillip Garrido would visit and help feed an elderly neighbour who lived in the house before Robinson.
Police said the cordoned off property was a crime scene but declined to comment further."

http://ca.entertainment.yahoo.com/s/capress/090830/world/us_kidnapped_girl_found

"Asked whether authorities thought neighbors or anyone else who knew the Garridos might be tied to the unsolved cases, Contra Costa County sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Lee said, "Unfortunately there is a larger story to it that we can't go into right now. I'm going to have to not comment on the nature of the search.""

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_13233674

Ever since I learned of the existence of Jaycee's two girls, I've had some nagging doubts that there's more - that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Jaycee had her first child at about age 14 and the second at about age 18. She's now 29-years-old and it's been 11 years since her last child. I would imagine a young woman, who's already given birth twice, not using birth control, would have had more children in the past 11 years. I know others here have expressed the same thoughts, but I can't shake the thought that this horrible crime is going to be much more horrific than it already is.

The words of Contra Costa Sheriff's Dept. spokesman, Jimmy Lee, only reinforce my suspicion.

Ever since I learned of the existence of Jaycee's two girls, I've had some nagging doubts that there's more - that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Jaycee had her first child at about age 14 and the second at about age 18. She's now 29-years-old and it's been 11 years since her last child. I would imagine a young woman, who's already given birth twice, not using birth control, would have had more children in the past 11 years. I know others here have expressed the same thoughts, but I can't shake the thought that this horrible crime is going to be much more horrific than it already is.

The words of Contra Costa Sheriff's Dept. spokesman, Jimmy Lee, only reinforce my suspicion.
ITA Leila and my heart has been a real mess the past few days. Not only have I thought about the number of years and only two children but my mind keeps screaming that her oldest daughter is now a year older that she herself was when she had her and her youngest daughter is the age that she was taken. I'm praying that he left those children alone but now hearing stories about parties in the backyard and men lined up outside the tent. Its really hard to prepare yourself for what we are going to be hearing in the days, weeks, months and years to come.

ITA Leila and my heart has been a real mess the past few days. Not only have I thought about the number of years and only two children but my mind keeps screaming that her oldest daughter is now a year older that she herself was when she had her and her youngest daughter is the age that she was taken. I'm praying that he left those children alone but now hearing stories about parties in the backyard and men lined up outside the tent. Its really hard to prepare yourself for what we are going to be hearing in the days, weeks, months and years to come.
I don't entertain any soft fuzzy thoughts that he left those girls alone. It was not in his nature. Something like that was probably the last straw that drove JC to take the risk and reveal her identity to the Berkeley Officer.

This is a case of a sadistic pervert who bred his own victims. The births were unrecorded and completely unknown to the world. No one knew they existed. In all practicality, the world believed JC was dead within the first hours after her kidnapping at age 11 years, so how would anyone even think to look for her children? If the male neighbor is at all accurate that he peeked through the fence in daylight and saw JC running around (his interpretation -- she was trying to hide -- which makes no sense since her boundaries were so small he would find her) and running her fingers through her hair (a universal gesture of being extremely distraught) she may well have been searching for a missing chid(ren). The Perp, knowing no one knew of their existence could well have murdered one or more children and as long as JC never left the backyard junkyard alive, no one would ever know of the murders. The LE Officers searching the neighbor's backyard have stated this is a larger case now. That is all we need to know for right now.

Well...You are right...
AND I hope we never get to hear it. Just as we never heard anything about the details of Elizabeth Smart.
Only because these poor little girls have to live in this world too. The world is not very tender....
They have suffered enough. They need some privacy.

Well...You are right...
AND I hope we never get to hear it. Just as we never heard anything about the details of Elizabeth Smart.
Only because these poor little girls have to live in this world too. The world is not very tender....
They have suffered enough. They need some privacy.
We didn't need to hear anything about the details of Elizabeth Smart. She was the only one kidnapped, not missing for more than months and the nature and extent of the crime were clear. In this case, if they can discover bodies, then the case turns to add homicide and possibly the death penalty. It may be prostitutes but in all probability is it not only prostitutes. That would be what they told the public. It may be they are looking for the 15 year old girl with the family relatives nearby. Someone has already talked to the mother of that victim. It doesn't seem like they would do that unless they had found her and were waiting for DNA or something. So, they kept digging. Why? More of JC's children or just other open cases from other jurisdictions? They have already talked to JC. Undoubtedly they have more information. That may be one reason sufficient unto itself why JC and her mother have made no public appearances, although their privacy would be reason enough. It is doubtful LE from several jurisdictions would work the weekend and would go through all this effort to find pet bones.

I agree with you. They said "several" children.

There is a press conference posted in the media thread from this afternoon. They brought in cadavar dogs today to go through that backyard. Also, I found it interesting that he said they have evidence in a shed in that backyard that Garrido had lived in that for a while - while the house was empty. He also said there will be no more press conferences today and they will "re-visit" doing any conferences tomorrow.

We didn't need to hear anything about the details of Elizabeth Smart. She was the only one kidnapped, not missing for more than months and the nature and extent of the crime were clear. In this case, if they can discover bodies, then the case turns to add homicide and possibly the death penalty. It may be prostitutes but in all probability is it not only prostitutes. That would be what they told the public. It may be they are looking for the 15 year old girl with the family relatives nearby. Someone has already talked to the mother of that victim. It doesn't seem like they would do that unless they had found her and were waiting for DNA or something. So, they kept digging. Why? More of JC's children or just other open cases from other jurisdictions? They have already talked to JC. Undoubtedly they have more information. That may be one reason sufficient unto itself why JC and her mother have made no public appearances, although their privacy would be reason enough. It is doubtful LE from several jurisdictions would work the weekend and would go through all this effort to find pet bones.

Bolded by me. From what I understand the 15 year old was found right after she was murdered, in the same area as where many of the prostitutes were found. I think they spoke to the mom to give her a heads up that this monster may be the killer.

I agree with what you are saying. LE has to know where to look and what they are looking for.
I just hope that Jaycee and the girls will get to keep their story privet. They still have to live in this world and it is certainly not a very tender one....
I hope they are only speaking with their medical staff, and LE.
No paparazzi, no "Want a book or story folks" When that story is written, at some point I hope it is done with no names. I just hope she will get Movie Money. (maybe anonymously). I hope she will be able to slip through without anyone knowing who she is, it will make her transition easier.

Bolded by me. From what I understand the 15 year old was found right after she was murdered, in the same area as where many of the prostitutes were found. I think they spoke to the mom to give her a heads up that this monster may be the killer.
Thank you. I wasn't quite sure of that. Thanks for the clarification.

Though its possible they may find one, I don't think they're looking for the bodies of babies.

Just a hunch but I think Garrido made sure a birth control method of some sort was used. There are several reasons I believe this.... When you look at Jaycee's age at the time of the first birth its likely conception took place not long after the onset of her first menstrual cycle. Poor Jaycee likely didn't have any awareness of her physiology and it was probably a surprise for Garrido - and one that made him nervous about discovery just three years after the kidnapping.

Years pass before an additional child and now eleven years have passed without another. In the absence of birth control, its likely that a young woman would have become pregnant every year or at least every two. With no prenatal care and giving birth at home, the risks of eight to twelve additional births would have been phenomenal - not only for Kaycee but the detection risk of Garrido.

I hope we never know for sure because I hope the details are preserved for Kaycee's future life and privacy but I am fairly sure its not babies they are looking for.

Lisa Norrell’s (whose body was found in Nov 1998) mother told the press that Garrido lived next door to one of her relatives, whose home she visited regularly for family functions. Was this the Robinson home? Or the home on the other side?

Though its possible they may find one, I don't think they're looking for the bodies of babies.

Just a hunch but I think Garrido made sure a birth control method of some sort was used. There are several reasons I believe this.... When you look at Jaycee's age at the time of the first birth its likely conception took place not long after the onset of her first menstrual cycle. Poor Jaycee likely didn't have any awareness of her physiology and it was probably a surprise for Garrido - and one that made him nervous about discovery just three years after the kidnapping.

Years pass before an additional child and now eleven years have passed without another. In the absence of birth control, its likely that a young woman would have become pregnant every year or at least every two. With no prenatal care and giving birth at home, the risks of eight to twelve additional births would have been phenomenal - not only for Kaycee but the detection risk of Garrido.

I hope we never know for sure because I hope the details are preserved for Kaycee's future life and privacy but I am fairly sure its not babies they are looking for.
Nancy may have been involved in birth control, but I can't see Mr. Perp doing that.

I felt sick having this thought pop into my mind earlier, but I wonder given that Garrido sounds like a prime candidate for (at least one) STD, if he transmitted one to Jaycee and that prevented any other pregnancies. Isn't it PID that can cause sterility in women with very little symptoms? (And that would be with a woman getting normal medical care.) Something like that happening would have been a sort of blessing in disguise.

I felt sick having this thought pop into my mind earlier, but I wonder given that Garrido sounds like a prime candidate for (at least one) STD, if he transmitted one to Jaycee and that prevented any other pregnancies. Isn't it PID that can cause sterility in women with very little symptoms? (And that would be with a woman getting normal medical care.) Something like that happening would have been a sort of blessing in disguise.
PID Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. It can follow gonorrhea, which is sometimes a symptomless disease in women. It can cause sterility.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back