Did he want to get caught?

weedemout

Reaction score
Seems odd to be taking the girls around and then taking everyone, even Jaycee to meet the parole officer? Also, he told a neighbor "you will see me on tv soon."

Weird.

I was thinking this same thing and it is reminiscent of the Austrian dude that kept his daughter and children hidden away.
Seems like they just get older and have to get it out. Don't know.
Maybe they just get exhausted from the elaborate lies. I don't think it is carelessness I think it is deliberate.

Sometimes I think these perps want the fame. They also want to subconsciously show other perps how to do it. I know that is weird, but this whole case is weird. He is so nutty, I hope the three girls aren't so nutty. Shawn Hornbeck appears to not only be SANE, but smart, intelligent and compassionate, hopefully somehow they can be the same way.

Also, he said in his interview it's a heartwarming story, maybe in his nutty mind he needed to get this heartwarming story out into the public. I don't know I am just guessing. At any rate, he had 18 years to think and plan.

Maybe in some bizarre way he was trying to help the two girls. Although why he would wait until they were into (or nearly into) their teens, I don't know.

What happened with the austrian dude? he took someone out in public too?

I mean, I know the guy is nutty, but to take the girl TO THE POLICE STATION...
Screams of wanting to get caught.

Yes. He wanted to get caught. Maybe not in the traditional sense but possibly he had become so delusional he had simply lost it by this point.

The parole officer did nothing but pick up a telephone. End of story.

He hears there's a very odd/possibly dangerous situation with PG and the girls from the campus police. Instead of heading right over to PG's house to investigate he picks up the phone and asks PG to come in. What if PG hadn't brought the girls that day? Would the parole officer have asked him point blank if he had people living the backyard? Would PG have said no (or made up an excuse, visiting relatives, etc) gone home and put them all in a basement or worse? Would he have cleaned up the backyard, taken them all in the car and driven off until he could think of a better way to hide them?

If PG hadn't brought the girls to the parole office does anyone think we'd be seeing Jaycee ever again?

I just don't understand.

I think this man's conscious is long dead. He is definitely a narcissist. They often can charm others into believing them.

He's a megalomaniac, pure and simple. He said on his blog that he had a "call that will in time include the salvation of the entire world”.

I would think he's relishing the prospect of getting on the stand and describing his lurid life in detail to the world. This trial had better not be televised, or you won't believe the circus that will ensue. In fact, I would be of a mind to remove any access to TV to this creep and let him sit there in silence in jail and rot.
Definitely no more jailhouse 'interviews" !!

I think his delusions made him want to get caught because it would give him a stage to preach from. I don't think he has an ounce of guilt.

I do think he's coo-coo for cocopuffs and not faking.

I agree. I think he did want to get caught, but for the reason that he really thinks he did this great amazing thing, and he wants everyone to know about it.

I am not so quick to assign him even a small amount of compassion. G's only motivation has been his own warped ego & delusions.

The comment about being on TV soon was about his crazy religious beliefs changing & saving the world.... nothing to do with revealing his kidnapped "daughter".

The girls were simply props to make him appear more of a normal family guy when he went to set up his campus crusade. Having been questioned by campus security, he brought the girls to the parole office to make the story match, circumventing any further investigation. Thank goodness, that day, his every move was raising red flags & given the chance to be away from him, Jaycee was brave enough to reveal her true identity.

No, he was not ready to be caught! It seems to me, his whole life has been about feeding his sexual & social perversions. He is definitely a nutjob, but functional enough to try covering his craziness by appearing normal.... crazy like fox?

I think his delusions made him want to get caught because it would give him a stage to preach from. I don't think he has an ounce of guilt.

I do think he's coo-coo for cocopuffs and not faking.

I think he can't wait to get on the stand and preach to the world. This trial is going to be an absolute circus. This thing is going to take many years to conclude.

In an earlier and more sane time, he would have been taken out back and shot, and never heard from again.

I agree with noZme, that he thought he was going to gain fame soon through his inventions, writing and religious stuff, and I believe that he was preparing the (younger) girls for this new situation in life by taking them out some and rehearsing them as to how to act toward others. I don't know why he would have taken the girls to the station unless he was requested to - to figure out the nature of their relationship - but I think if he was to take them then he may have taken the wife and Jaycee as well in order to provide some kind of explanation for the children. Perhaps that Jaycee was his wife's from a prior relationship, and that the kids were hers, but he had adopted all of them, or some such? Another possibility is that if he had to take the children there he wanted Jaycee there too so that she would not try to escape while they were gone?

Yes. He wanted to get caught. Maybe not in the traditional sense but possibly he had become so delusional he had simply lost it by this point.

He hears there's a very odd/possibly dangerous situation with PG and the girls from the campus police. Instead of heading right over to PG's house to investigate he picks up the phone and asks PG to come in. What if PG hadn't brought the girls that day? Would the parole officer have asked him point blank if he had people living the backyard? Would PG have said no (or made up an excuse, visiting relatives, etc) gone home and put them all in a basement or worse? Would he have cleaned up the backyard, taken them all in the car and driven off until he could think of a better way to hide them?

If PG hadn't brought the girls to the parole office does anyone think we'd be seeing Jaycee ever again?

I just don't understand.
I did read in an article that the parole officer went to the home while Garrido and the girls were at UC Berkeley the 2nd day, and since they weren't home, he asked them to come in...
I do believe he wanted to get caught, but not for the usual reasons like the guy with the guilty conscience in Crime and Punishment, more like he wanted to be a prophet of his sick version of religion.

I agree with noZme, that he thought he was going to gain fame soon through his inventions, writing and religious stuff, and I believe that he was preparing the (younger) girls for this new situation in life by taking them out some and rehearsing them as to how to act toward others. I don't know why he would have taken the girls to the station unless he was requested to - to figure out the nature of their relationship - but I think if he was to take them then he may have taken the wife and Jaycee as well in order to provide some kind of explanation for the children. Perhaps that Jaycee was his wife's from a prior relationship, and that the kids were hers, but he had adopted all of them, or some such? Another possibility is that if he had to take the children there he wanted Jaycee there too so that she would not try to escape while they were gone?
Yeah, I thought he took Jaycee along so she wouldn't escape while they were gone, but who knows?:confused:

ITA with all these theories. Like everything else he did, his reasons for this all coming to an end were twisted and self-serving. But it does seem (in addition to his phone interview where he said it was time for this to all end) that he had another nefarious plan, and this time to get his "TV time".

No normal mind could do something as wicked as this man has done.

He is a desperate paedophile,look at how he applied his intelligence to concealing this crime, who will go to any lengths to ensnare his prey.
He is a dangerous pschopath, maybe with some recent decline in brain function due to long term lsd use and subsequent psychosis
I wonder whether he is so delusional that he confessed to the crime thinking that he could explain it and it would be ok

Scarey

I just don't understand.
He was egomaniacal enough to think he could flaunt the law and get away with it as he had done so many times before. I think that if he had not been in that state of mind and perceived a real risk of being caught he simply would have murdered and buried the remainder of his backyard inhabitants outright. No one knew the two daughters existed and the world thought JC died in 1991.

"Wanting to get caught" and turning himself in with full confession of the details are two different things. What he did won't cut him any slack.

No he did not want to get caught. he thought he was smarter than everyone else and could fool them. He honestly thought he could get away with bringing them in an fashioning a believable story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T-Dog
Back