Los Angeles fire worsens, 10,000 homes threatened

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
Residentsin the north were urged to evacuate as the 4-day-old blaze nearly doubled in size overnight and headed into the Antelope Valley. To the south, mandatory evacuations remained in effect.
Some 500 commercial buildings were also in danger, as was Mount Wilson, the nexus for key telecommunications facilities, including TV and radio transmission towers, the US Forest Service said
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...eles-fire-worsens-10000-homes-threatened.html

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...nsmitters-are-threatened-by-station-fire.html
Two TV stations said tonight that their transmitters are threatened by the Station fire, which is burning near the communications center atop Mt. Wilson.

KCBS-TV Channel 2 and KABC-TV Channel 7 said that viewers with cable and satellite TV will still be able get the signal if the transmitters are damaged. Those without cable or satellite might lose their signal.

Yucaipa Fire 0% contained

IT IS SO HOT HERE!

Hey JBean - my brother lives in Sunland - is that area been evacuated???? Just tried calling him - but no answer....

Hey JBean - my brother lives in Sunland - is that area been evacuated???? Just tried calling him - but no answer....

I think Sunland is ok, but here are the evacuations sites. it is a mess up there.

Evacuation Orders

In La Canada Flintridge:
The City of La Crescenta Flintridge advises that evacuation orders were lifted at noon for most of the evacuated area in the Station Fire area, including the area from Arroyo Seco on the east to Angeles Crest Highway, and then continuing west to Palm Drive. Evacuation orders are still in effect for the portion of La Canada Flintridge west of Palm Drive and north of Olive Lane. Persons must have proof of local residency to enter the once-closed area.

Earlier evacuation orders
-Starlight Dr north to Green Ridge Ct, including Forest Green Dr
-Big Briar Way at Haske;
-Donna Maria Ln, Indian Dr, Hacienda Dr, Alta Canada Rd north of Linda Vista, La Canada Blvd north of El Vago St
-Meadows Tract, Canyon Ridge to Aralia Rd, north of Loma Alta
-Big Tujunga Canyon between county Camp 15 and the Ranger Station as well as Camp Colby
-Ocean Blvd north of Fairhurst Dr
-Little Tujunga from Gold Creek to Osborne
-Briggs Ave to north of Shield St between Goss Canyon and Canyon Side Rd including Arroyo Dr and connecting streets
-all camps on upper Big Tujunga Rd from the Ranger Station at East Angeles Crest Hwy north to Chilao
-all homes north of Loma Alta Dr between Lake Ave and Canyon Crest above the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, including Camp Chiquita
-homes on Riverwood Dr near Big Tujunga Canyon Rd
-Alpine Village east of Big Tujunga Canyon Rd
-residents only will be allowed back into the area of Vista Del Valle Rd west of Angeles Crest Hwy and La Canada Blvd north to El Vago St west to Linda Vista Dr north to Alta Canada Dr

In Altadena:
-Canyon Dell Dr area, one mile northeast of JPL. The area includes houses on
-Canyon Crest Rd, Aralia Rd, Rising Hill Rd and smaller streets accessed by those streets. This area is west of Millard Canyon, east of Arroyo Seco and north of Hahamongna Watershed Park

In Glendale:
-Santa Carlotta north between Pennsylvania and Lowell

In La Crescenta:
-Briggs Terrace area off Shields St, above Briggs Ave
-Homes have also been ordered evacuated near the Big Tujunga Ranger Station.

Near Mount Wilson, at Camp High Hill near the Red Box Sheriff's Station and the Clear Creek Outdoor Education Center, according to the U.S. Forest Service

A voluntary evacuation was in effect for the Florecita neighborhood, in northwest Pasadena, including Florecita Drive, Florecita Way, Florecita Ln and Florecita Terrace

In the Acton-Palmdale area:
Mandatory evacuations of Crown Valley, Aliso Canyon and Soledad Canyon, south of the Antelope Valley (14) Fwy to Aqua Dulce Rd Canyon Rd.

In Yucaipa:
Mandatory evacuation order for Oak Glen.
http://www.kfiam640.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=153218&article=5945336

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/#

Active Firemap from US Fire Dervice

Fire Information Report for Station
Wildland Fire Incident
Report Date: 30-AUG-09
Burnt Area: 20,102 Acres (302% increase from yesterday)
Location: Los Angeles County, CA (4 miles north of La Canada on SR2 - Angeles Crest Hwy)
Cause: Under Investigation
Incident Team Type: IMT Type D
Team Leader: Dietrich/Powers/Fender
Containment Status: 5% contained)
Expected Containment: 08-SEP-09

Fuels: Typ 0.00 1804PRIM

My little brother is a Hot Shot w/ Lassen Nat'l Forest up north. I can't reach him, so I guess he's out there somewhere.

My little brother is a Hot Shot w/ Lassen Nat'l Forest up north. I can't reach him, so I guess he's out there somewhere.

I am sure everyone is out there. Good luck to your brother and tell him to be careful!

Unhealthy air quality will occur in areas of direct smoke impact, especially near the fires. These areas will likely include:

· portions of the San Gabriel Mountains
· the West San Bernardino Mountains
· the Santa Clarita Valley
· the San Fernando Valley
· Central Los Angeles County
· the East San Gabriel Valley
· the West San Gabriel Valley
· the Hemet/San Jacinto Area

Wildfires generate smoke containing numerous air pollutants including fine particulates known as PM10 and PM2.5.

In areas with Unhealthy air quality and those directly impacted by smoke: Everyone should avoid any vigorous outdoor or indoor exertion; people with respiratory or heart disease, the elderly, and children should remain indoors. Keep your windows and doors closed unless it is extremely hot inside. In these cases, seek alternate shelter. Run your air conditioner if you have one. Keep the fresh air intake closed and the filter clean to prevent bringing additional smoke inside.
http://kfi640.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=153218&article=5945362

Mount Wilson tower Cam

From the Mount Wilson Observatory, Mt. Wilson, California.
Elevation: 5,700 ft., Location: N 34.224 - W 118.058
(Image will automatically refresh every 2 minutes in most web browsers.)

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~obs/towercam.htm

Mount Wilson tower Cam

From the Mount Wilson Observatory, Mt. Wilson, California.
Elevation: 5,700 ft., Location: N 34.224 - W 118.058
(Image will automatically refresh every 2 minutes in most web browsers.)

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~obs/towercam.htm

Thanks Suzi. I have been up there hiking many times. If the towers burn that is going to create a lot of problems.

Suzi beat me to the punch... so I edited my post down to the updates.

Thanks Suzi. I have been up there hiking many times. If the towers burn that is going to create a lot of problems.

I shudder to think of all the communication problems. Would air travels be affected? Like air traffic control?

I've been out there too. Refresh my memory, aren't the xmas tree farms out by Acton?

I shudder to think of all the communication problems. Would air travels be affected? Like air traffic control?

I've been out there too. Refresh my memory, aren't the xmas tree farms out by Acton?

Gosh I don;t know about air travel. I'll have to check. TV transmission and radio signals for sure.
Suzi I have never been to the Christmas tree farms. I will do some googlin'

Gosh I don;t know about air travel. I'll have to check. TV transmission and radio signals for sure.
Suzi I have never been to the Christmas tree farms. I will do some googlin'

I heard that warning - that communications might be down.'

I hope for the best for those in the path of the flames...

Earthling

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back