832 users online (124 members and 708 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Shorts & the Porch Light

I'm also from Missouri and remember this case well. For several reasons, including because the police released so many details they shouldn't have, I simply don't give a lot of credibility to a lot of the rumors or van stories. Not saying they're impossible but they just don't carry a lot of weight with me. The drug connection stories are laughable at best.

One thing that has always stuck in my mind was Stacy McCall's shorts still being neatly folded with her jewelry in the pockets. My first thought when hearing that was that those three were taken out of that house very quickly and probably at gunpoint. I don't think it was a mere knock on the door about the dog or a possible gas leak. A teenage girl would have at least grabbed her shorts on the way out the door. The only way she didn't take them was if someone was near enough to her to prevent her from taking them.

Does anyone know if the light on the porch was a overhead, ceiling type fixture or one mounted on a vertical wall?

If it was near the door on the wall, it is possible it was broken in a struggle out the door. If it was on the porch ceiling, the perp could have been attempting to take off the outside globe to unscrew the light bulb so as not to be seen when they came to the door or when taking them out the door. If he dropped the globe and it shattered, that would explain the parted blinds.

Looking for other crimes where the lights were disabled might be a start.

The porch light is mounted on the wall to the right of the door. It is above the mailbox. You can see it in the below video by pausing it at 1:14. Hope this helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwkmV..._embedded#t=75
    Last edited by Indianagirl; 08-31-2009 at 04:27 AM.

Good points, Bibliophile. I totally agree. It only stands to reason that they were gotten out of their very quickly without time for Stacy to get her shorts. If they would have had time to grab things on their way out, surely Sherrill and Suzie would have at least taken their cigarettes.

Does anyone know of any other photos of the front of the house?

It appears from the video there is a light above the mailbox and one on a pole. The one on the wall appears to be just a bulb and the one on the pole looks intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliophile View Post
    Does anyone know of any other photos of the front of the house?

It appears from the video there is a light above the mailbox and one on a pole. The one on the wall appears to be just a bulb and the one on the pole looks intact.
    There was a globe that surrounded the light bulb. The globe broke, but the bulb stayed intact. The yard light (pole) was not damaged/tampered with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambria View Post
    Good points, Bibliophile. I totally agree. It only stands to reason that they were gotten out of their very quickly without time for Stacy to get her shorts. If they would have had time to grab things on their way out, surely Sherrill and Suzie would have at least taken their cigarettes.
    From the little that is known, I am guessing the original targets were the girls. The perp saw them somewhere (gas station, party, stop light, etc.) and followed them home. I'm guessing it was an impulse pick for him. I don't think it was overly planned.

It further seems, because of the parted blinds and TV still on, that the mother went to the door and was probably forced back inside. Stacey McCall had no time to dress or even grab her shorts. He got them out of their quickly - which also indicates experience. He's done similar things before.

Quote Originally Posted by Indianagirl View Post
    Thanks. The pic is so sad.

It looks like it is one of those clear, jar-type looking globes.

Does anyone know if the pole fixture worked or was operable from the house?

It still seems like he may have fumbled and broke the outside globe/cover in an attempt to unscrew the bulb. Unscrewing the porch light bulb is a very common tactic for experienced criminals and taught as something to look for in crime scene investigation classes.

If I recall correctly the bulb was intact; so he most likely never touched it and thus - no chance for prints.

May I ask where you got this picture from Indianagirl?

Sure. It's from the newspaper.

Sure. It's from the newspaper.
    You don't happen to know which one and/or the date of the publication off the top of your head do you?

It's from the newsleader. I don't know the date.

I have put some thought to the broken globe and don't think it occurred when the girls were leaving the house. After all, if it fell during the time they left, I'd expect one of them to scream at that point... and maybe fight with their captor(s). Also, in order for this to happen during this time, the screws securing the cover would have to be very loose for it to fall... on a fixture like that there's usually 3 screws securing the glass..... unless the cover was struck with such force that it broke off the fixture, I don't think it was bumped loose.

Quote Originally Posted by bystander77 View Post
    I have put some thought to the broken globe and don't think it occurred when the girls were leaving the house. After all, if it fell during the time they left, I'd expect one of them to scream at that point... and maybe fight with their captor(s). Also, in order for this to happen during this time, the screws securing the cover would have to be very loose for it to fall... on a fixture like that there's usually 3 screws securing the glass..... unless the cover was struck with such force that it broke off the fixture, I don't think it was bumped loose.
    I have just recently started looking at this case. The first thing that jumped out at me was the porch light. IMO outside lights tend to get the least amount of attention. I for one put off fixing the lamp at the front door held on by 3 screws.
    I wonder if the perp went to disable the bulb only to find the globe barely attached, it fell and shattered but still went on to unscrew the bulb temporarily? Did they do a fingerprint test on the bulb? I have much reading to do, but was curious on this aspect.

There has been much discussion over the porch light, globe and glass left. No clear consensus on what to make of it, except, we're told from the 'First Responders' account, Janelle and her boyfriend cleaned it up. I believe it was established that LE did take the glass remains and has them in custody.

But, what has never been made clear to me was what was the typical traffic like at the Levitt house ? In one of the early video reports (presumed it was shot a couple days after the event, as all the cars are still there), you can see a tight shot of the carport. On the left is a door, with small steps, which would appear as another entrance. In my current home, and many others do the same, I use the entrance from the garage, and the 'regular door' to receive guests, pick up packages and the like. Was that the pattern at the Levitt house ? If so, and the two girls entered via the carport entrance, it is possible if there was broken glass at the time of their arrival, that they never even saw it, or made much of it yet. 'Clean it up tomorrow ?' But, back to the point of common entrance, I don't know if THAT door or the carport door, was the typical entrance for the family/friends.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast