808 users online (111 members and 697 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    "It is unbelievable that the parole agent got information on November 18, 1988, that Phillip Garrido had contacted his prior rape/kidnap victim Katie Callaway, right after obtaining new freedoms from the half-way-house, and the very next day on November 19, 1988, nine year old girl Michaela Garecht is abducted (pg 11)."

"2. On November 19, 1988, Garrido should have become a suspect in the Micaela [sic] Garecht case - who was abducted from market in Hayward, CA (only 20 miles south of Garrido halfwayhouse in Oakland)(pg 11)."

there's more ... here is the report attached again

"15. On November 17, 1998, Garrido federal parole agents should have searched the Garrido residence to look for the Antioch kidnapping/murder victim, 15 year old Lisa Norrell (EDC DA Report, pg 16)"

Quote Originally Posted by time View Post
    "It is unbelievable that the parole agent got information on November 18, 1988, that Phillip Garrido had contacted his prior rape/kidnap victim Katie Callaway, right after obtaining new freedoms from the half-way-house, and the very next day on November 19, 1988, nine year old girl Michaela Garecht is abducted (pg 11)."

"2. On November 19, 1988, Garrido should have become a suspect in the Micaela [sic] Garecht case - who was abducted from market in Hayward, CA (only 20 miles south of Garrido halfwayhouse in Oakland)(pg 11)."

there's more ... here is the report attached again
    But the problem is that on one hand the DA notes that Garrido's original booking photo from his first arrest looks like the composite picture (actually it doesn't, Garrido has very distinctive deep set eyes that are not depicted in the composite). On that basis he says that a connection should have have been made. But in the paragraph immediately before that he talks about Katie Callaway saying that Garrido looked like the video that we have been seeing on TV recently, not like his early photos. Since Michaela was kidnapped shortly after Callaway's alleged encounter with Garrido, and if she was correct in her identification of his appearance (which I'm not so sure about), then Garrido couldn't have looked like the composite sketch. Both things can't be true, he either looked one way or he looked the other way, so either Callaway was mistaken or Garrido wasn't Michaela's abductor.

The DA seemed unduly emotive in the report, so I'm not so sure about his objectivity - the report is littered with unsupported conclusions, assumptions and logical contradictions, such as the one outlined above. I think he is peeved that he missed his opportunity to go to trial, along with his fifteen minutes in the spotlight, and this is his next best effort. It is a good thing he didn't go to trial since a good defence attorney would have ripped his logic to shreds. It wouldn't have mattered too much in the Jaycee case since the physical evidence spoke for itself, but in a trial that depended on circumstantial evidence IMO this guy would be taken to the cleaners based on his presentation here. A good DA will allways remain unemotional and objective about a case, failure to do that can result in the conviction of innocent people or compromising the case against someone who is guilty, neither of which is in the best interests of society.

Anyway, as far as Garrido and Michaela are concerned, it is possible but there simply isn't any evidence, so even if it did happen we will never know.

Tugela ... I see what you are saying. I didn't see the report as emotional but a strong call to action. Times have changed some, thank god. The 15 year old that Garriodo attacked in 1972 was intimidated into NOT testifying. I think the report should have been far more critical of local LE and such, not just parole folks.

Had they treated Garrido along the way as a serious threat, he probably would have been caught sooner. They should have had multiple photos of him and his name should have come up in all of the cases of missing and murdered women/girls in the area. Michaela was a bit further away but Garrido was never looked at that I know of in the death of Lisa Norrell a couple miles away from where he lived for 18 years!

Had they treated Garrido along the way as a serious threat, he probably would have been caught sooner. They should have had multiple photos of him and his name should have come up in all of the cases of missing and murdered women/girls in the area. Michaela was a bit further away but Garrido was never looked at that I know of in the death of Lisa Norrell a couple miles away from where he lived for 18 years!
    The reason his name didn't come up was pretty simple: while he was on federal parole he didn't register as a sex offender, the local LE simply didn't know about him. When he was transferred over to the California's parole supervision the failure to register was realized and he was registered. That was in 1999 though, well after all these other cases, so they missed him.

In fact, if he had been registered when Jaycee was kidnapped, they probably would have found her decades ago.

I think that Garrido needs a good hard look by Hayward PD concerning Michaela. One thing to consider though: as close as PG's mugshot looks like the 1988 composite of the Garecht suspect, Garrido's hair was short when he was paroled from Nevada. Of course, he could have worn a wig for the kidnapping, but so could anyone else and looked somewhat like the composite.

I know that Michaela's mother was very interested in getting the Hayward PD in to interview Garrido, but that was squashed by PG's attorney. I offered to see if KCRA's Walt Gray might get another interview with Garrido and ask him about Michaela, but the mother only wanted the detectives to have a crack at him. In retrospect, that probably was the wise move, but I was thinking getting someone to ask the question was better than no one. I suspect that Hayward PD has already talked to Garrido or will shortly now that the attornies are out of the picture.
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

Quote Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
    The reason his name didn't come up was pretty simple: while he was on federal parole he didn't register as a sex offender, the local LE simply didn't know about him. When he was transferred over to the California's parole supervision the failure to register was realized and he was registered. That was in 1999 though, well after all these other cases, so they missed him.

In fact, if he had been registered when Jaycee was kidnapped, they probably would have found her decades ago.
    No doubt parole messed up big time and so did the psychologist(s). It's horrifying and inexcusable. That doesn't mean we need to excuse local LE/the Sheriff's office or other public safety agencies who had at least 30 interactions with Garrido or other persons at his address.

In 2002 the fire dept responded to a juvenile with a shoulder injury/swimming pool ..."The pool and the juvenile were located in the concealed compound"

The call to the CCC Sheriff's office in 2006 said Garrido "has several tents in the yard with people living in them and there are children there... (he) was concerned because the neighbor has a sexual addiction"

Pg 151 of the ED report (APPENDIX B) has a list of Garridos signifcant contacts with Public Safety Agencies - he registered with local law enforcement as a sex offender in 1999 and kept registering every year. Local Law enforcement checked his residence in June, 1999.

There are many queries of Garrido in the database by local law enforcement. One is about 4-5 days after the 2006 visit - so why did they query his name if they did not follow-up?

Plus, Garrido was arrested way back in 1972 for kidnapping and raping a 15 year old. That was not prosecuted but was still on file.

There was a reported sighting of Jaycee looking at her own missing poster in 1992 a couple of miles from the Garridos and the description fit the description of the van he still had.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doogie View Post
    I think that Garrido needs a good hard look by Hayward PD concerning Michaela. One thing to consider though: as close as PG's mugshot looks like the 1988 composite of the Garecht suspect, Garrido's hair was short when he was paroled from Nevada. Of course, he could have worn a wig for the kidnapping, but so could anyone else and looked somewhat like the composite.

I know that Michaela's mother was very interested in getting the Hayward PD in to interview Garrido, but that was squashed by PG's attorney. I offered to see if KCRA's Walt Gray might get another interview with Garrido and ask him about Michaela, but the mother only wanted the detectives to have a crack at him. In retrospect, that probably was the wise move, but I was thinking getting someone to ask the question was better than no one. I suspect that Hayward PD has already talked to Garrido or will shortly now that the attornies are out of the picture.
    I hope they do get to interview Garrido and it leads to knowing if he could be involved one way or the other.

Walt Gray did ask PG's attorney "off the record" if Phil might be involved in the Garecht case and she said that she seriously doubted that he was involved in any other abductions. Well, now we know that Garrido WAS involved in other abductions (or, at least, near abductions), so I put no stock in her denial.
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

No doubt parole messed up big time and so did the psychologist(s). It's horrifying and inexcusable. That doesn't mean we need to excuse local LE/the Sheriff's office or other public safety agencies who had at least 30 interactions with Garrido or other persons at his address.

In 2002 the fire dept responded to a juvenile with a shoulder injury/swimming pool ..."The pool and the juvenile were located in the concealed compound"

The call to the CCC Sheriff's office in 2006 said Garrido "has several tents in the yard with people living in them and there are children there... (he) was concerned because the neighbor has a sexual addiction"

Pg 151 of the ED report (APPENDIX B) has a list of Garridos signifcant contacts with Public Safety Agencies - he registered with local law enforcement as a sex offender in 1999 and kept registering every year. Local Law enforcement checked his residence in June, 1999.

There are many queries of Garrido in the database by local law enforcement. One is about 4-5 days after the 2006 visit - so why did they query his name if they did not follow-up?

Plus, Garrido was arrested way back in 1972 for kidnapping and raping a 15 year old. That was not prosecuted but was still on file.

There was a reported sighting of Jaycee looking at her own missing poster in 1992 a couple of miles from the Garridos and the description fit the description of the van he still had.
    Most of those database queries were after some health incident involving his elderly mother, those were probably routine. Some were related to the joint task force sweep. One was after the 2006 visit. I would guess they are related to the LE officers involved writing up their incident reports.

It has been a while but IIRC it was reported that Jaycee didnt remember anything like 1992 incident. In any case, her movements were tightly controlled at that time, and she would know. So it is safe to say that report was wrong.

Police Interview Garridos About 23-Year-Old Case

HAYWARD, Calif. -- With the Jaycee Dugard case over, KTVU learned exclusively Monday that Hayward police recently interviewed Phillip and Nancy Garrido in prison about another Bay Area kidnapping that happened over two decades ago.

Last week, investigators got the opportunity to interview the couple about the Garecht case.

Police noted striking similarities between the two kidnapping victims.

"They could almost be sisters," said McAllister. "Both of the interviews lasted over two hours. Neither of the interviews revealed any direct link to the Michaela Garecht case."

Police are pouring over the taped interviews, rechecking facts before they re-interview the Garridos.

"We're not done yet," said McAllister.
    Read More:
    http://www.ktvu.com/news/28876854/de...=cmg_cntnt_rss

I just saw this same report on KCRA-Sacramento. Walt Gray, in the wrap up, even mentioned how "amatuer sleuths" have been pushing for LE to look into the possible connection. Yea! We actually can play a part in getting justice in these cases!

It looks like I may be interviewed tomorrow on KCRA-Sacramento by Walt Gray about the possible Garrido/Garecht connection and the role of amatuer sleuths in today's era of shrinking LE budgets - I will know tomorrow morning. It will probably be on the five or six o'clock broadcast. If I am on, I will post a link here.

Here is a link to the video:

http://www.kcra.com/video/28899213/detail.html

Posted this on Michaela's thread
    http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/...n-linden-well/

Maybe they have located both girls?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3