CA CA - William "Sky" Weinischke, 19, Los Angeles, 1 Nov 1997

kevmob77

Reaction score
Thought to add his case to the forum as I have always wondered what happened to him. Some of the details are a bit sketchy, but he was last known to be in the Mexicali, Mexico area and in San Diego, California. He was supposed to make a trip to the DMV in San Diego but never returned and has never been heard from again.

This could be a case of where he went to Mexico (Mexicali, Tijuana, Rosarito) and things went bad from there and he never returned to Cali at all. However, his sister created a Myspace for him page saying that he was living with a male at the time of his disappearance who gave some pretty outlandish stories about his life (CIA agent, FBI, etc.). This roommate left town almost right after Sky went missing and has not been located since. Here are some links to his case:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/weinischke_william.html
http://www.myspace.com/missingsky
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1961dmca.html

From what I read, the info does not necessarily say that his roommate (Dan) was the one saying he was an FBI/CIA agent. I understood from the info that the guy he went to Mexico with (Sergio) that he was the one saying he was CIA/FBI. DO you have info on the roommate leaving town from another source?

Thought to add his case to the forum as I have always wondered what happened to him. Some of the details are a bit sketchy, but he was last known to be in the Mexicali, Mexico area and in San Diego, California. He was supposed to make a trip to the DMV in San Diego but never returned and has never been heard from again.

This could be a case of where he went to Mexico (Mexicali, Tijuana, Rosarito) and things went bad from there and he never returned to Cali at all. However, his sister created a Myspace for him page saying that he was living with a male at the time of his disappearance who gave some pretty outlandish stories about his life (CIA agent, FBI, etc.). This roommate left town almost right after Sky went missing and has not been located since. Here are some links to his case:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/weinischke_william.html
http://www.myspace.com/missingsky
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1961dmca.html

Wanted to open up a thread for Sky but saw that there already is one...so I'm bumping.

Here is his NamUs profile, DNA sample submitted/tests complete.
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/1978

l.jpg

This is Sky's sister.
Thanks for making this thread.
I've been contacted by several people who knew him during his time in California.
What I've pieced together is: he got involved with a man named Sergio who apparently had worked as a food stamp fraud investigator and possibly an fbi informant and who's family owned a whole block in Mexicali as the Mexicali Mafia which did people smuggling across the boarder. Sky apparently became involved with people smuggling. Sergio apparently became obsessed with Sky and was jealous of his girlfriend and lusted after him but Sky was not gay or interested in Sergio romantically... Apparently Sergio's mafia family found out that Sergio was obsessed with Sky and were homophobes and may have killed Sky just so Sergio would stop obsessing over him and focus on his wife and kids. Apparently Sergio had a house in Hollywood. One guy told me he knew right where it was, but I've never been able to re-contact him. :(

He also said he would be afraid if I gave his name to the police because he believed Sergio had inside connections. He said that one time he and Sky had been arrested for shooting off a sawed off shot gun and that Sergio came and got them released no problem with his "connections".

Another person contacted me who said Sergio/Sergio's family definitely killed him.

Law enforcement has never helped in the least. They just laugh at the notion of looking for a guy named Sergio. Talking to them is like going on never ending wild goose chases hitting my head against a brick wall. Some of them are even mean and say stuff like "maybe he just doesn't want to be found" while I'm crying my eyes out begging them to do SOMETHING, anything.
Sky does want to be found. He was calling me on the phone -back when long distance was a really big deal- several times a week saying how he was going to save up for a car to come back and visit me.

I am the only one in our family who has searched for him..we did not know our biological dad and had a pretty difficult home life, hence being teenagers on the streets. So it's especially hard having no family support. Thinking about him breaks my heart to no end.

I use to fantasize that he just hit his head and lost his memory and would return alive someday. But multiple people say Sergio & family killed him. I still hope his remains are found and retrieved to come home for proper resting place.

I'm not sure exactly what you guys do here, but any help is much appreciated.

Also, I am the one who submitted DNA. I had to FORCE LE to do it. I spent countless extremely disturbing hours combing through unidentified body data bases for possible matches for them to compare and submitted my possibilities but I don't think they ever did anything.

Also, the man mentioned in this thread as his roommate - he did not have a roommate, he just shared a PO Box with a guy name Dan Copperfield. Sky was homeless. He stayed at some youth shelters and hotels and I guess he had a girlfriend he'd visit... note the above picture of him looks like he's in a hotel room.. it's one of the last pictures he sent back home...

I've contacted every Dan Copperfield I could find to no avail...

There are no agencies or detectives handling the case. Everyone says someone else should do it and tells me to talk to someone else. His missing person report was filed in a small town in Tennessee and they have never done anything and no longer return my calls. It's extremely frustrating to say the least.

Have you ever talked to Dan again? Know of any way I could contact him?
I once messaged every single Dan Coppersmith on facebook to no avail...

"I think he's in New York...that's where he was living the last time I saw him. I know he's drawn back to Hollywood at times. I imagine the only way I'd see or speak to him is if I run into him there...& I actually avoid going there if I can help it. I don't even see anyone that I knew from the time I knew Sky. Dan was my only link with him."

Cool, thanks!
Is this him? http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dan-coppersmith/11/99/534
Or might one of these be him? http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=Dan+Coppersmith&sns6=t30#Los Angeles, CA
Ahhh, I want to talk to him so baaaad!
About what age would he be? What did he "do"? Anything at all about him?

"The guy on linked in is definitely not him. I don't know if those locations are him. They very well could be. I'd have to see a picture.
He's in this 30's now for sure. He & Sky may have been around the same age, actually.
He's a tall, maybe 6'2" or 3" & good looking. But just sort of aloof & distant when it comes to "connecting" with people. He would be open & free with whatever he knows about Sky's disappearance. I mean, he was with me. But he validated what I already knew..."

I've been searching and searching the last few hours..the only Dan Coppersmith I can find that lived in both LA and NY is related to this guy, Jeff Coppersmith...probably his dad?
http://www.facebook.com/huntingtrophyexperts
So you knew that the mexican mafia/sergio people had killed Sky before Dan told you?

"Somehow I get the idea that Dan is estranged from his relatives & probably not influenced by them so much. I don't think that guy is his father. I also don't think he's inclined to be on a social network, so I'm not surprised he's so difficult to find.

There's a drop in center on Santa Monica Blvd in Hollywood where all disenfranchised youth hung out in the day time, where we could eat, shower, have a change of clothes, nap, watch TV & take little classes. I was a client there with Dan & Sky & I also worked there a couple of years later.

Dan was really difficult to communicate with then... But Sky was always friendly & approachable. I liked him because he reminded me of the south...& I think he was a Cancer or Pisces & I always get along with them.
Anyway, I actually was able to get an apartment, so a couple of those kids would come visit me. Sky came by a few times. I know it was warm out the last time I saw him. Late in the summer...maybe August/September. He'd parked a car outside my storm window & told me all about how he was transporting immigrants over the border from Mexico in the trunk. I remember being a little stunned at the boldness of his new venture & his casual attitude about it so I must have known about the mafia element. In fact, I think I knew about his employer being a wealthy Mexican with a ranch. I remember thinking he could get into so much trouble...I also remember the wad of cash he had from it, which was clearly his motivator! I never saw him after that.

I must have heard about about the murder from someone else from the drop in center because I didn't want to believe it & I was left feeling like there was more I needed to know by the time I ran into Dan again. When we met last, he was easier to communicate with & less like the miserable, self loathing kid from the street. I don't remember who told me before that, I just know I grilled Dan for details & he confirmed it. I believe he said Sky was murdered on Sergio's family's ranch. That is the memory I have of what happened to him. There are bits & pieces of information like, Sergio was in love with him & Sky wasn't into it. I am unclear now with small details. Just certain that he was murdered by those people. Its all very heartbreaking. He was a good guy. "

I'm so sorry about what you have been going through, Sky's sister. I stumbled over Sky's case a few years ago on a website featuring missing persons and I've been wondering about it ever since. I don't know, there's just something about him.

I know it doesn't make things any better for you but at least you seem to have an idea of what happened to your brother...something very horrible though. Such a tragedy, such a young kid.

I'm sending lots of strength and positive thoughts your way. Know that people do care, people who do not know you or your brother but we still care.

I don't know, I think it would be kind of nice if you maybe shared some random facts about Sky in here. Just so that we could get a better glimpse of the kind of person he was back then. Only if you feel comfortable about that, of course. Just a thought.

Thank you <3
I can usually only handle doing this a little at a time every few years, I get really depressed and cry for days, I'll see how long I can hang in on this round.

Finding some answers did help a little, I don't have nightmares about searching for his body as much anymore... but I still want to know for sure and still want to find his remains.

What drives me crazy is why doesn't LE search for Sergio? Isn't that their job? Why don't they look for every single person named Sergio who worked as a food stamp investigator and question every one of them even if there's 50? Don't they want to find murderers and get murderers off the street?? Talking to LE, my only hope has been to someday have enough money to hire a PI...

Sky had a really tough childhood. Stuff that no kid should ever have to deal with. But through it all his spirit was never broken and he remained cheerful and brave. Unfortunately, a little too brave.
I really wish he'd been able to grow up, I know he would have done amazing things.

He was really good with animals, like an animal whisperer. He was an incredibly talented driver - the best I've ever known, when our mom couldn't back up or parallel park or would get stuck with a horse trailer, he could jump in the driver seat to whip it out perfectly when his feet barely reached the peddles just as a tiny little guy, using a stick shift. It was almost magical.

Just last year the Tennessean posted an archive of old pictures and there was one of him, I cried tears of joy because I barely have any pictures of our childhood and this one captures what an amazing little kid he was:
bilde

Someone should definitely look into this Sergio fellow. But it may be hard. Even back then, government workers (especially someone who may have had to work undercover) would be kind of hard for the public to get info on. Since 9/11 and the start of the NSA, that difficulty is quantified.

Sky's sister, I hope this doesn't come off wrong, but it wouldn't have been hard for a guy (closeted or out) to get obsessed over your brother. Things have changed a bit since then, but it still wouldn't be very surprising for a powerful family to want to stop a real or perceived "gay" relationship among one of their own. I know Mexico is very Roman Catholic and that wouldn't look good for Sergio in that sense. There also seems to be a kind of "machismo" among crime families and I don't think a "family" like that would think very much of an American one of their own were lusting after in that manner.

Just don't give up hope. The strangest things can happen (and have done so) in cold cases like Sky's. Whether it's a happy ending or just a recovery, I want you to get the answer(s) you need.

Sky has been missing for 17 years. Thinking of him and his sister. Your deep love for your brother and your braveness shine through your words on here.

Bumping and subscribing, somewhere, somebody knows what happened to ' Sky".

I am the one who was arrested with Sky. he helped and protected me and is the reason that I am off the streets and alive today. The person in question is /was a food stamp fraud investigator for the FBI. His name is Sergio Romero. I have been to Mexicali with Sergio and his family at the time with Sky. They approached both of us about smuggling people and drugs across the border because Sergio's brother is a coyote and needed reliable white drivers who would not look suspicious. I have tried to talk to a Cold Case Investigator in LA and was told I needed to come down and give a formal report in person when I explained to him about my fears concerning Sergio and his connections he treated me like I was some sort of conspiracy nut. I would love nothing more than to know what happened to Sky all those years ago and to have some Justice served. if there's any way I can help (Sky's sister) please respond on this thread and let me know if there are any investigators who will take me seriously.

I am the one who was arrested with Sky. he helped and protected me and is the reason that I am off the streets and alive today. The person in question is /was a food stamp fraud investigator for the FBI. His name is Sergio Romero. I have been to Mexicali with Sergio and his family at the time with Sky. They approached both of us about smuggling people and drugs across the border because Sergio's brother is a coyote and needed reliable white drivers who would not look suspicious. I have tried to talk to a Cold Case Investigator in LA and was told I needed to come down and give a formal report in person when I explained to him about my fears concerning Sergio and his connections he treated me like I was some sort of conspiracy nut. I would love nothing more than to know what happened to Sky all those years ago and to have some Justice served. if there's any way I can help (Sky's sister) please respond on this thread and let me know if there are any investigators who will take me seriously.

Welcome to Ws Sky's friend, glad you found your way here,
Sky's sister will no doubt be happy too!!

So awesome to see some activity on this thread and welcome, Sky's friend of course! Great insight, thank you!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back