Canada - Winnipeg teen 'hero' saves baby from sidewalk bashing

WhyaDuck?

Inactive
Reaction score
1954246.bin

Winnipeg teen 'hero' saves baby from sidewalk bashing

BY GABRIELLE GIRODAY, WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
SEPTEMBER 2, 2009 7:15 AM

Tyler Bilsborrow, 18, said sometime around 4:30 a.m. Tuesday, he stepped outside his home to smoke a cigarette and heard whimpering.

He walked toward a darkened stretch of sidewalk where he said he saw a woman sitting on the ground under a broken street light, rapping something against the pavement.

“I thought the woman was drunk, beating up a cat,” said Bilsborrow, who said his nightmare got worse when he realized the woman wasn’t beating up an animal.

“(The child) was screaming, crying, trying to breathe,” he said.

The woman, who was in her 20s, had both her hands around the child’s neck, he said, with the baby’s face away from her.

As he walked toward them, the crying woman dropped the child, he said. She then stood up and staggered away, according to Bilsborrow.

He said the baby lay face-down on the sidewalk and tried feebly to crawl.

Bilsborrow said he took off his sweatshirt and swaddled the bleeding child and called emergency crews on his cellphone.

While he waited for them to arrive, he gently patted the baby’s stomach.

“Nobody in their straight mind could do that to a kid,” he said. “(The police) said ‘You pretty much saved its life.’ ”
More at:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/W...baby+from+sidewalk+bashing/1954245/story.html

Way to go, Tyler! I shudder to think how this story could have turned out if this guy hadn't happened to go out for a smoke.

It's good to hear stories where people do right once in a while.

ETA: It's especially nice to hear stories of teenagers doing such wonderful things. They often get such a bad rap, I'm glad there's stories like this around.

"Flett said her daughter Daisy Houle, 24, was devastated by the beating of her child.

“That lady kidnapped the baby and took her in the corner to beat her up,” Flett alleged."

Um.....ok. So some radom lady kidnaps a baby in the middle of the night then beats the snot out of her. Kinda makes ya wonder if Vanessa was reported missing. OR...if the mother did this herself. Just thinking out loud.

That poor baby! Thank God the young man was there to stop the assault.

"Flett said her daughter Daisy Houle, 24, was devastated by the beating of her child.

“That lady kidnapped the baby and took her in the corner to beat her up,” Flett alleged."

Um.....ok. So some radom lady kidnaps a baby in the middle of the night then beats the snot out of her. Kinda makes ya wonder if Vanessa was reported missing. OR...if the mother did this herself. Just thinking out loud.

I know. Very strange. I think it's safe to say there's weirdness going on in this case.

My theory is that it was a drug/drinking acquaintance (or even relative) of the family who was possibly sleeping over and bugged out. They don't say it was a stranger, just that it was not the mother. In those circumstances, anyone taking a minor out of the home could be described "kidnapping."

But the way the teen says he assumed it was a drunk out there at 4.30am on a Tuesday night/morning, I'd say it's not the greatest of neighbourhoods.

Moments before police arrived, the girl's mother was overheard crying in front of the family's home, which is close to the crime scene.

"She was saying she couldn't find her daughter," a neighbour said. "She was with a guy and he was saying, 'Don't cry, we're going to find her.' "

Bilsborrow said a woman was arrested nearby. Police wouldn't confirm the arrest or any details about the child, including its gender, age and connection to the woman.

Bilsborrow, the father of a one-year-old girl, wrapped the baby in his hoodie, called 911 on his cellphone, and comforted the child until emergency personnel arrived.

Bilsborrow said he removed some kind of cord or string wrapped around the baby's neck.

He believes the attacker was intoxicated. He didn't stop her because his concern was the baby's well-being.

The incident outraged and sickened Bilsborrow's mom and neighbours.

"She should have her head smacked in the way she did that baby. What could (a baby) honestly do to deserve such a licking?" Pearl Bilsborrow said.

Detectives in the child abuse unit are investigating.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/winnipeg/2009/09/02/10712346-sun.html

so it was his kid?

I hope CPS looks into this family very closely. I pray that the little angel makes a full recovery, bless her heart.

you know, this kind of thing makes me sick. WHY would anyone think it's ok to have people strung out around children?! and if she were all crying and worried, um, wouldn't you call the damn police?!?! I just DO not understand :(

Woman charged with attempted murder in baby attack
Updated Wed. Sep. 2 2009 1:30 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A Winnipeg woman is facing charges of abduction and attempted murder after a 14-month-old girl was allegedly seen being beaten in the street.

Local residents told CTV's Jill Macyshon that the girl's mother returned home early Tuesday morning to discover that someone had taken her child.

"She apparently searched the house looking for her child, couldn't find her, and that's when she heard about what happened down the street," Macyshon told CTV News Channel by telephone from Winnipeg.

The mother is reportedly distraught over what happened to her child, Macyshon said.

Police said there was a party in the area that involved drinking, though spokesperson Const. Jason Michalyshen said investigators still do not know why the baby was attacked.

The victim is currently in stable condition at a Winnipeg hospital.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...0902/baby_attacked_090902/20090902?hub=Canada

Sounds like a grudge between the mom and this attacker, IMO - possibly the baby's father's new girlfriend or something...?

I hope this inspires a few people to straighten out a few things in their lives. It kind of sounds like a depressing situation.

ETA: Looking at her profile makes me ill. This was a criminal in waiting. Seeing what she says about herself says it all - she'll likely love prison, sadly. I do think this was a territorial thing.

My thoughts are with the baby and her family.

Winnipeg woman charged in baby's beating

Sep 02, 2009 01:32 PM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

WINNIPEG – A 19-year-old woman has been charged with attempted murder after a 14-month-old girl had her head smashed repeatedly against a sidewalk.

Nikita Solange Eaglestick is also charged with abduction and aggravated assault, Winnipeg police said Wednesday.

Const. Jason Michalyshen said police still don't understand why the girl, identified by family as Vanessa, was attacked, but said there was a party in the area and drinking was involved.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/689990

Oh man, it just gets more depressing as it goes on... it seems Eaglestick has a little son of her own. Best wishes to that poor little boy.

Amongst her many hates, she lists:

"back stabbers, nd ppl talk bout me...nd most of all ppl who hate me i geuss" (sic)

Amongst her many hates, she lists:

"back stabbers, nd ppl talk bout me...nd most of all ppl who hate me i geuss" (sic)

I'm guessing the type of person who beats up a baby has a lot of "haters." She should learn to live with it. What a witch.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane
Back