CA - Diana, 17, & Edith Moreno, 11, murdered, Sun Valley, 2 Sept 2009

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
NORTH HOLLYWOOD -- Two young women have been found dead in North Hollywood with their throats slashed.

A third woman in her 40s was taken to Holy Cross Hospital with knife wounds.

Police say she is now considered a person of interest in the gruesome killings.

Relatives at the scene told KTLA that the girls were 14 and 17, and that the woman in the hospital is their mother.

Los Angeles police Capt. Ivan Minsal says family members who came to a house in the 7800 block of Irvine Avenue are helping sort out what may have happened.

One of the victims was found in the main house and the other victim and the injured woman were found in a converted garage, he said.

More at link: http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-women-stabbed,0,2504284.story

Thanks for the OP Kaylynn, It just beggars belief doesn't it? God Bless the 2 girls. ;}

I know I overanalyze a lot when it comes to sociological perspectives, but I wonder in this case why 2 minor females are listed as "young women" instead of as children or juveniles? We can't even get our hands on certain CMA docs because she was a "minor" at the time. Since when is slitting the throat of a 14yo girl considered killing a "young woman"? Jaycee gave birth at 14 to her rapist's baby, and everyone is rightfully shocked at that notion. I'm appalled that these 2 girls died so horribly, but no one will notice much - the headline reads they were young women, not somebody's kid.

Glad to see they changed the headline to read "Teenage Sisters".

I agree that the victims should have been described as children, or at the very least, "minors." I think the media needs to be more responsible in their reporting.

North Hollywood Woman Remembers Slain Granddaughters

Gloria Fuentes on Thursday mopped up the dried blood of her 17-year-old granddaughter, Diana Moreno, who was slain a day earlier in the one-room converted garage shared by five family members.

Steps away, in the vacant main house on the property, a trail of blood led from the kitchen sink to the living room where Edith Moreno, 12, was discovered dead on the floor Wednesday by a visitor to the Irvine Avenue home.

The sisters had been stabbed to death, police said. Their mother, Antonia Gomez, 38, was rushed to the hospital for surgery for cuts, which police said could have been self-inflicted.

On Thursday, Fuentes looked at the wet floor she had cleaned and then slowly scanned the room she
Gloria Fuentes, 57, shows photos of her slain granddaughters Edith Moreno, 12 and Diana Moreno, 17, in the converted garage where they slept. The sisters were killed Wednesday in their North Hollywood home. The girls' mother, Antonia Gomez was taken to the hospital with injuries and is now termed a "person of interest" by police. (Hans Gutknecht/Staff Photographer)
had shared with her grown daughter and three grandchildren, and she sighed.

"Now I have nothing," the 57-year-old said, as she walked to her car where she had thrown bags stuffed with her granddaughters' blood-splattered clothing into the trunk to discard.

"My granddaughters don't need any more clothing."

The middle sister, a 14-year-old, was not home during the killing. She's now in custody of the Department of Children and Family Services, Fuentes said.

The father of the three girls lives in Mexico.

More at link: http://www.dailynews.com/breakingnews/ci_13264312

"Now I have nothing," the 57-year-old said, as she walked to her car where she had thrown bags stuffed with her granddaughters' blood-splattered clothing into the trunk to discard.

BBM:
WHATTTT??? Isn't that crime scene evidence? I'm speechless! Wouldn't CSI take EVERYTHING with blood on it?

BBM:
WHATTTT??? Isn't that crime scene evidence? I'm speechless! Wouldn't CSI take EVERYTHING with blood on it?

LOL - that is the first thing I thought when I read the article.

WHY is she throwing away evidence? WHY are the police not in posession of the bloody clothes. I know after they are done with evidence like that they will often give it back to the family but it has only been like a day.

And the fact that a day after the murders the house is still not a crime scene and the grandmother is mopping up the blood etc just doesn't seem right at all.

I hope LE has already put all their eggs in one basket thinking the mother did it and not investigate any further.

And that same article says the other victim was 12, not 14 as originally stated. The 14 yrd old sister was not home at the time.

Bless those poor kids. I can't imagine what the sister who is left is going through.

WHY is she throwing away evidence? WHY are the police not in posession of the bloody clothes. I know after they are done with evidence like that they will often give it back to the family but it has only been like a day.

And the fact that a day after the murders the house is still not a crime scene and the grandmother is mopping up the blood etc just doesn't seem right at all.

I hope LE has already put all their eggs in one basket thinking the mother did it and not investigate any further.

ITA! WHY did this happen?
WHY was so much evidence left?
WHY was grandma there cleaning this up all alone? Is there no one there to comfort her and take care of this for her? She should not be the one to do this! This is so very sad, it breaks my heart.
RIP little angels.

A good defense attorney will pounce on this at trial. I can't for the life of me understand why the police would let evidence be thrown out in the trash.
The bloody clothes worn by the victims is primary evidence, IMO.

Like others have said, it completely breaks my heart that the grandmother was essentially left to clean up the crime scene where her two granddaughters were violently murdered. That is absolutely terrible and NO reason why it should have happened.

My thoughts and prayers are with the grandmother, and the 14 year old who was taken into CPS custody. May they both find comfort during this unthinkable time.

:rose: :rose:

Wonder if the clothes weren't those that the girls were wearing, but clothing that might have been nearby and splattered with blood during the crime? Sorry to be so graphic.

It is surprising that a crime scene such as this was released so quickly?!

Antonia Fuentes Gomez is being held pre-trial at Century Regional Detention Facility. Her next court appearance is 08/10/2010 - 8:30 a.m. at the Van Nuys Municipal Court Division 107.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back