Court Appearances

Turbododger

Former Member
Reaction score
This is a place to post information regarding the court appearances by each of the accused.

COURT APPEARANCES:

Terri-Lynne McClintic & Michael Rafferty May 20, 2009

Terri-Lynne McClintic & Michael Rafferty May 28, 2009

Michael Rafferty June 12, 2009

Terri-Lynne McClintic June 23, 2009

Michael Rafferty July 17, 2009

Terri-Lynne McClintic August 12, 2009

Michael Rafferty August 21, 2009

Michael Rafferty September 25, 2009

Terri-Lynne McClintic October 1, 2009

Pre-Trial Meeting - October 8
Next Court Appearance for MR is October 16

Oct 01, 2009 06:08 PM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

WOODSTOCK, Ont. – A woman charged in the slaying of an eight-year-old southern Ontario girl made her first court appearance in more than 1 1/2 months on Thursday.

Terri-Lynne McClintic, 19, appeared via video link before a judge and was remanded in custody until her next court date on Nov. 27.

She remains in custody at the London-Middlesex Detention Centre.

---Snip---

Rafferty appeared in court Sept. 25, at which time a judicial pre-trial meeting was set for Oct. 8.

One of Rafferty's lawyers, Scott Reid, said that meeting will essentially lay the groundwork for an upcoming preliminary hearing.

Rafferty will then make another video court appearance on Oct. 16.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/704053

At the most recent court appearance by the woman accused of murdering eight-year-old Victoria "Tori" Stafford, it took less than two minutes to learn that she won't be back in court for two months.

Terri-Lynne McClintic, 19, was only briefly on the television screen yesterday while Crown attorney Geoff Beasley explained to the court the reason for requesting the two-month delay until her next video appearance. Because of the sheer amount of evidence in this high-profile case, the Crown's office is still in the midst of providing disclosure to McClintic's lawyer, Jeanine LeRoy.

"It's an ongoing and extensive process," Beasley said.

While LeRoy wasn't able to make the brief appearance, Woodstock lawyer Trudy Mauth talked with McClintic by telephone to inform the 19-year-old about the Nov. 27 date of her next appearance.

After McClintic's August court appearance. LeRoy told the Sentinel-Review the Crown had already provided her office with the equivalent of a computer hard drive in terms of evidence. With the continuing investigation into Tori's kidnapping and murder by police, there is the potential of substantial amount of forthcoming evidence in the case.

http://woodstocksentinelreview.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1779683

BBM: Since the investigation is still continuing, and more evidence is expected, there must be alot going on behind the scenes in this case.

Rest in Peace, little Tori, Justice will Prevail.

I wonder if the public will know what happens in the pre-trial meeting tomorrow?

Love the quote from Rex Murphy, I watched that on TV and he really meant it.
Puts into words the disgust and horror that most of us are feeling.

I wonder if the public will know what happens in the pre-trial meeting tomorrow?

Gee I hope so. If not im sure we will here about on the internet/news. Do you have any idea of what time?

I guess we won't hear anything about the Judicial Pre-Trial Meeting today (wishing Pepper was here, RIP)

TLM appeared in court on the 1st, Trigger, just so you know.

We will have to look for information on October 16th.

Criminal Court Procedures in Ontario

There are many steps that an accused must take before having a trial, preliminary hearing, or even a guilty plea. These steps are generally ordered as follows:
) Going to Court for the First Time
2) Bail Hearings / First Appearances
3) Disclosure
4) Crown pre-trials / Resolution Meetings
5) Judicial Pre-trials
6) Preliminary Hearing
7) Trial
8) Verdict
9) Sentence
10) Appeal

http://www.criminallawyerintoronto.ca/Court%20Procedures%20in%20Ontario/Criminal%20Court%20Procedures.htm

Judicial Pre-trials: Meeting with the Judge to Narrow Issues
"What is a 'judicial pre-trial' and why can't I sit in when my lawyer is discussing the case with the Crown and Judge?"
A "Judicial Pre-trial" is very similar to a "Crown Resolution Meeting". The difference is that now these discussions are made in front of a judge. The judge can help further narrow the issues and may be able to convince one party to resolve if their is an impasse in negotiations.

These proceedings are done in Chambers or in closed court so accused persons are usually not permitted to attend. With the accused not present, Crown and Defence counsel can discuss the case much more frankly and without reservation since any admissions or concessions that the lawyer may make on behalf of his or her client is not binding until the client accepts it.

Judicial pre-trials are also very helpful in negotiating the best possible resolution agreement since there is the objective opinion of the judge who will suggest a reasonable sentence. The added benefit is that presiding judge of the pre-trial can accept a plea that same day and the accused will know what they are going to be sentenced to since the judge will express his or her opinion on an appropriate sentence.

http://www.criminallawyerintoronto.ca/Court Procedures in Ontario/Criminal Court Procedures.htm

Judicial Pre-trials: Meeting with the Judge to Narrow Issues
"What is a 'judicial pre-trial' and why can't I sit in when my lawyer is discussing the case with the Crown and Judge?"
A "Judicial Pre-trial" is very similar to a "Crown Resolution Meeting". The difference is that now these discussions are made in front of a judge. The judge can help further narrow the issues and may be able to convince one party to resolve if their is an impasse in negotiations.

These proceedings are done in Chambers or in closed court so accused persons are usually not permitted to attend. With the accused not present, Crown and Defence counsel can discuss the case much more frankly and without reservation since any admissions or concessions that the lawyer may make on behalf of his or her client is not binding until the client accepts it.

Judicial pre-trials are also very helpful in negotiating the best possible resolution agreement since there is the objective opinion of the judge who will suggest a reasonable sentence. The added benefit is that presiding judge of the pre-trial can accept a plea that same day and the accused will know what they are going to be sentenced to since the judge will express his or her opinion on an appropriate sentence.

http://www.criminallawyerintoronto.ca/Court Procedures in Ontario/Criminal Court Procedures.htm

Last we heard from MR's lawyer was that he "might" be pleading not guilty - perhaps he has had a change of heart? It certainly is going to be one long week!

Last we heard from MR's lawyer was that he "might" be pleading not guilty - perhaps he has had a change of heart? It certainly is going to be one long week!

Yes it is going tobe a long week. The might be...hmmmm. We will see. Its going to be so hard on her family when the trial starts. Are there going to be 2 trials? If he mans up to what he did I will be totally shocked though. It really doesn't happen. I will always have the video of her walking along with TLM in my head. Poor little baby.

I don't think you will see Rafferty plead guilty. He will fight it all the way.

TLM is another story, IMO. I think she will plead guilty.

I don't think you will see Rafferty plead not-guilty. He will fight it all the way.

TLM is another story, IMO. I think she will plead guilty.

TD, I don't understand. Do you mean MR will fight it all the way by pleading not guilty? If he pleads "guilty" how would he fight it all the way - wouldn't the court just take his statement and sentence him accordingly. Again, not trying to start an arguement I am still on cold meds - LOL.

It would certainly be a fiasco justicely speaking if TLM were to even consider entering a "not guilty" plea. Even if she claims that she was "taken advantage of or threatened by" an older more sophisticated individual, would her or her laywer believe that the Canadian public would fall for this BS again! KH burned that bridge for TLM (and others like her) a long time ago!

TD, I don't understand. Do you mean MR will fight it all the way by pleading not guilty? If he pleads "guilty" how would he fight it all the way - wouldn't the court just take his statement and sentence him accordingly. Again, not trying to start an arguement I am still on cold meds - LOL.

It would certainly be a fiasco justicely speaking if TLM were to even consider entering a "not guilty" plea. Even if she claims that she was "taken advantage of or threatened by" an older more sophisticated individual, would her or her laywer believe that the Canadian public would fall for this BS again! KH burned that bridge for TLM (and others like her) a long time ago!

You are right, NFR, thanks!

I meant, MTR WILL plead not-guilty. He will fight it all the way. No way he is admitting anything.

Here is one from the London Free Press
http://bing.search.sympatico.ca/?q=londonfreepress&mkt=en-ca&setLang=en-CA I can't get the link right but it is the first story under news.
The man charged with abducting and killing Victoria (Tori) Stafford has been moved to jail in Chatham.

Michael Thomas Rafferty appeared in a Woodstock courtroom today via a video link from the Chatham jail.

Rafferty had been at Elgin-Middlesex Detention Centre in London.

His counsel, Laura Giordano would not provide details yesterday on the reasons for the move. "I can't comment as to why he was moved."

She said it happened recently.

makes me sick to think that he might have been moved for safety reasons

What is the difference in the jails, should he have stayed in London?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back