What We Know, What We Don't Know

Leila

Reaction score
Ever since the news of Jaycee Dugard being found after 18 years in captivity, there's many things I've wondered about and I'm sure many here have wondered too.

There were some conflicting reports on Wednesday, August 26th, and Thursday, August 27th. Some media were reporting that Jaycee walked into a police station and identified herself as Jaycee Dugard. Later, we learned about the two campus police officers at UC Berkley who observed PG and the two young girls acting strangely on campus on Tuesday, which led them to investigate and call PG's parole officer. We then learned that the parole officer asked PG to come to his office, and at that time PG appeared with NG, Allyssia, and two young girls. At that point the case unraveled, PG and NG were arrested, and Allyssia was identified as Jaycee Dugard. Within hours Jaycee's mother, Terry Probyn, was notified that her daughter had been found alive. Terry made plans to fly to northern California the next day, Thursday, August 27. By all accounts, it was a joyful reunion.

The above is what we DO know. What we don't know, and I think would be fascinating to know is what happened after Allyssia said she was Jaycee Dugard? Did the parole officer even know who Jaycee was? Or did he have to call the police, local and El Dorado police? I'm sure the police didn't make a positive identification just on Jaycee's word. How did they confirm her identification? Did El Dorado police have fingerprints on file taken from the Probyn home after Jaycee's kidnapping? I remember that Jaycee had a birthmark on one leg and other identifying marks. Did a female police officer make an examination? I'm sure the police/FBI wouldn't call Terry Probyn without being 100% certain it was Jaycee.

We know that the appointment with the parole officer happened sometime Thursday, Jaycee was positively identified, and Terry Probyn was called. She flew to northern California the next morning to reunite with her daughter and to meet her two granddaughters.

But what happened between Jaycee being identified and the next morning? Was Jaycee interviewed by the police and FBI? Was it because of what they learned from Jaycee that prompted the investigation of the property next to PG's home and investigating the possibility PG was linked to other missing persons cases? Were the two girls interviewed? Were Jaycee and the two girls placed in protective custody?

I think it would be fascinating to know what steps were taken from first learning that Allyssia was Jaycee Dugard to the reunion with her mother, sister, and aunt. What was the police procedure?

Jaycee has a birthmark on her right arm just above the elbow, and two marks from chickenpox on her face: on her forehead and on the bridge of her nose.

As to what conspired, they probably asked her for personal information: names of her family, where she went to school, her home address at the time of abduction, where she had lived before moving there, her birthdate and then they compared it with her file. They'd contact the LE who handled her case to see if the facts were correct, I'm sure someone must have kept a file on her case within access. They'd compare pictures of her then with her now. After that, I guess they decided to contact her family. If there were any doubts, they could do DNA testing.

Fortunately, Jaycee still had memories intact from her time with her family, so it should have been extremely easy to make the connections.

I have to go back and scour thru the early articles....... (dang it! I hate that LOL) but iirc when they asked who she was she said, "I am Jaycee Lee Dugard"

Maybe I am missing something,but there was a statement made byTB,that there was a bogus trust fund "out there",I would like to know if anyone has the true,trusted fund for J.C I am interested,and need the correct info.Not interested in donating to some scum,looking to make money off of this horrible horrble crime.Thanks in advance!

Jaycee has a birthmark on her right arm just above the elbow, and two marks from chickenpox on her face: on her forehead and on the bridge of her nose.

As to what conspired, they probably asked her for personal information: names of her family, where she went to school, her home address at the time of abduction, where she had lived before moving there, her birthdate and then they compared it with her file. They'd contact the LE who handled her case to see if the facts were correct, I'm sure someone must have kept a file on her case within access. They'd compare pictures of her then with her now. After that, I guess they decided to contact her family. If there were any doubts, they could do DNA testing.

Fortunately, Jaycee still had memories intact from her time with her family, so it should have been extremely easy to make the connections.

In one of the interviews I saw, the officer said they had DNA tested her, but were sure she was Jaycee Dugard regardless. I will try and find that link, but if I remember right, the officer said "SHe knows things only Jaycee would know, and DNA tests have confirmed it."

Maybe I am missing something,but there was a statement made byTB,that there was a bogus trust fund "out there",I would like to know if anyone has the true,trusted fund for J.C I am interested,and need the correct info.Not interested in donating to some scum,looking to make money off of this horrible horrble crime.Thanks in advance!

Yes the trust fund is posted as a topic here on this forum. I will link to it once I find it! [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88365"]Donations for Jaycee - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I think that it's likely we'll hear very little about this case. So many agencies, so many levels of government were so abismally remiss in their duties that it will get swept up swiftly "under the rug". My heart goes out to Jaycee.

MOO

what i'm interested to know is if it was Jaycee or Garrido that disclosed who she really is. i don't know if that question has been answered...if it has i missed it, which could be the case!

it is in the donations for jaycee thread (or titled something like that) it may be on the next page back... I will find it and bump it to the front for you... (there is a statement from the family saying there is only one trust and gives the information) brb

Originally Posted by aksleuth View Post

In one of the interviews I saw, the officer said they had DNA tested her, but were sure she was Jaycee Dugard regardless. I will try and find that link, but if I remember right, the officer said "SHe knows things only Jaycee would know, and DNA tests have confirmed it."

Thank you, I do remember when they said she remembered only what Jaycee would know. I was answering in general, how they would discover how someone was who had been missing for so long, because I'm sure that's how it was done in her case. Of course in these times of accurate DNA tests, it would make sense that they did them asap. Looks like they got quick confirmation of the tests, doesn't it? No backlog, no waiting in line, thank goodness.

One thing I read is that the officer was going through the NMEC pages and came across Jaycee's and it fit her description and age...

and according to Probyn, when Terry saw her daughter she said she looked just the same... even about the same size...so the pictures (esp the age progressed on) would have been a dead ringer.

I remember too that Carl Probyn stated in one of his first interviews that Terry said, "She remembers everything!" I take that to mean that Jaycee was asked questions about her life prior to the kidnapping, and answered them all correctly...........questions only Jaycee would know......probably a pet's name, her teacher's name, her best friend's name, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back