When Baez paid the bank back wasn't that tantamount to pleading guilty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I don't get what his master plan is. Casey paid restitution, you do not do that if you are "not guilty". Why would there even be a trial, why not just plead no contest, or is that not an option. Never has the outcome ever been more certain, she is on video tape at Target and the bank for God's sake! What do you think?

I remember Casey's lawyer actually stating to the judge the reason that he should delay the trail is that Amy had already been "made whole" as the money was paid back to her account. I know that is a legal term, but it was sooooo offensive, that poor girl's life has been ripped apart at the hands of Casey.

If every robber just paid back the stolen items, would Jose think they too do not require a trial?:waitasec:

To me, pleading Not Guilty is just the start of a bargaining process, ranging from not guilty based on defense, through plea deal to, guilty but a reduced sentence. There are steps where rather than just plead Guilty you try to minimize the sentence because the prosecution wants to limit time/investment and cut a deal to move on. JMHO.

To me, pleading Not Guilty is just the start of a bargaining process, ranging from not guilty based on defense, through plea deal to, guilty but a reduced sentence. There are steps where rather than just plead Guilty you try to minimize the sentence because the prosecution wants to limit time/investment and cut a deal to move on. JMHO.

I bet the prosecution isn't looking to cut corners and cut a deal though. Money spent at this stage could save millions later.

I don't get what his master plan is. Casey paid restitution, you do not do that if you are "not guilty". Why would there even be a trial, why not just plead no contest, or is that not an option. Never has the outcome ever been more certain, she is on video tape at Target and the bank for God's sake! What do you think?

I think his maneuver was in paying off Amy they could then argue that Amy was repaid, then that would mitigate the financial damage and then his and A Lyon's next gambit was to file that motion claiming there was no way they could prepare for the check fraud case and her DP murder trial. *Why that's unreasonable, Judge S! We're not superhuman! We simply can't prepare a worthy defense case if we have to prepare a check fraud case for our client!! Ridiculous, of course. It was all a roll of the dice, IMO, just tactics. B/c you're right--this is a no brainer. She's on video, they have the forged checks, etc. He had to take a gamble, b/c it's a lose lose for them. Having this trial before the murder trial is a disaster for the defense, so he played his hand and lost. Now that the case can move forward before the murder trial, we shall have to see what their next move is.

I bet the prosecution isn't looking to cut corners and cut a deal though. Money spent at this stage could save millions later.
I wonder what Casey's demeanor is going to be like next time at the hearing, now that she knows she is going to be facing a prison sentence , for sure, in the check fraud case. The reality is setting in.

I remember Casey's lawyer actually stating to the judge the reason that he should delay the trail is that Amy had already been "made whole" as the money was paid back to her account. I know that is a legal term, but it was sooooo offensive, that poor girl's life has been ripped apart at the hands of Casey.

If every robber just paid back the stolen items, would Jose think they too do not require a trial?:waitasec:

Something I just thought of.......We had some former employees embezzle, forge checks, and steal a lot of money from us. Alot. (How this happened was stupidity on our part, but I won't digress as it is OT, and painful to relate.) But, we were told that if the perps would pay back the amount, that would be a factor that would weigh in w/ the state's (AZ) decision whether or not to bring it to trial. We were told that there are so many cases of fraud, forgery, and embezzlement that priority is assigned by the elements of how much $$ was stolen and how much (if any) restitution was made. This is a different state, and of course, the stakes in KC's case are much higher---her check fraud charges are directly tied to her murder charges. But, it makes me wonder if JB thought that if restitution was made, then the SA might decide not to spend time and $$ on the case. Of course, why would they let it go? It's part and parcel of her behavior and criminal activity after the "disappearance" of her 2 year old. I think he gambled on the Judge agreeing w/ him about the necessity to focus on her murder trial, and that the check fraud case should be delayed b/c of that.

Victims of fraud in my state are entitled to 3X the amount stolen if they win their case.

Something I just thought of.......We had some former employees embezzle, forge checks, and steal a lot of money from us. Alot. (How this happened was stupidity on our part, but I won't digress as it is OT, and painful to relate.) But, we were told that if the perps would pay back the amount, that would be a factor that would weigh in w/ the state's (AZ) decision whether or not to bring it to trial. We were told that there are so many cases of fraud, forgery, and embezzlement that priority is assigned by the elements of how much $$ was stolen and how much (if any) restitution was made. This is a different state, and of course, the stakes in KC's case are much higher---her check fraud charges are directly tied to her murder charges. But, it makes me wonder if JB thought that if restitution was made, then the SA might decide not to spend time and $$ on the case. Of course, why would they let it go? It's part and parcel of her behavior and criminal activity after the "disappearance" of her 2 year old. I think he gambled on the Judge agreeing w/ him about the necessity to focus on her murder trial, and that the check fraud case should be delayed b/c of that.

My very , very favorite part of that hearing was when the prosecutor pointed out that Baez has taken on a hundred new cases since the start of this trial and indeed Andrea has a full time "day job" as a professor, so it is not like they have been all consumed with just this dp Casey case for murder and cannot defend the fraud case, and furthermore, Miss Anthony is free to hire additional counsel to represent her in this case separately! Hilarious! Absolutely fantastic! I like Lindar, she is calm but she knows her stuff!

Totally agree, plus they have this case neatly packaged up so it is dry run for them as well. Cut and dried.

My very , very favorite part of that hearing was when the prosecutor pointed out that Baez has taken on a hundred new cases since the start of this trial and indeed Andrea has a full time "day job" as a professor, so it is not like they have been all consumed with just this dp Casey case for murder and cannot defend the fraud case, and furthermore, Miss Anthony is free to hire additional counsel to represent her in this case separately! Hilarious! Absolutely fantastic! I like Lindar, she is calm but she knows her stuff!

Yes, that was a highlight for me as well! I love it. I think JB and A Lyon thought everyone would be so dazzled by her, and LDB was just some flunky from the SA office. Think again.

They thought they'd "Razzle Dazzle Em" like Billy Flynn in "Chicago".

I think his maneuver was in paying off Amy they could then argue that Amy was repaid, then that would mitigate the financial damage and then his and A Lyon's next gambit was to file that motion claiming there was no way they could prepare for the check fraud case and her DP murder trial. *Why that's unreasonable, Judge S! We're not superhuman! We simply can't prepare a worthy defense case if we have to prepare a check fraud case for our client!! Ridiculous, of course. It was all a roll of the dice, IMO, just tactics. B/c you're right--this is a no brainer. She's on video, they have the forged checks, etc. He had to take a gamble, b/c it's a lose lose for them. Having this trial before the murder trial is a disaster for the defense, so he played his hand and lost. Now that the case can move forward before the murder trial, we shall have to see what their next move is.

Change of venue? Prolonged Jury selection? Delaying Motions?

I bet the perps defence will be that it was a misunderstanding. That when she got permission to borrow AH's car, she thought that meant the things IN the car as well as the actual vehicle.

Or that the perp thought the check-book was hers which is why she signed her own name. She was so beside herself with grief that and that her mind was so all over the place because she was desperate about Caylee being snatched by The Nanny, My Sister Sam and the Sippy Cup Gang that she never examined the check-book and thought it was her own. (except KC never did have her own check-book and I bet the Prosecution is well prepared for that assertation)

*Huge rolling of eyes*

I really hope the D.Team try this on. It will be HILARIOUS.

I bet the perps defence will be that it was a misunderstanding. That when she got permission to borrow AH's car, she thought that meant the things IN the car as well as the actual vehicle.

Or that the perp thought the check-book was hers which is why she signed her own name. She was so beside herself with grief that and that her mind was so all over the place because she was desperate about Caylee being snatched by The Nanny, My Sister Sam and the Sippy Cup Gang that she never examined the check-book and thought it was her own. (except KC never did have her own check-book and I bet the Prosecution is well prepared for that assertation)

*Huge rolling of eyes*

I really hope the D.Team try this on. It will be HILARIOUS.

I was just watching the videos of her at target. I particularly loved the glaring 18 pack of bud light.

I was just watching the videos of her at target. I particularly loved the glaring 18 pack of bud light.
Yes the beer definitely added to the picture of a desperate woman frantically searching for her "missing" toddler. It was all about Casey and her new beau of the month. Caylee wasn't even in her thought processes. :furious:

:behindbar:behindbar:behindbar

WARNING - EXTREME SARCASIM AHEAD.

The beer was in the script guys. She HAD to buy the beer ;)
Probably The Nanny needed it to calm the Sippy Gang. Also in the script (this hasnt been released yet) was to take the beer to Suburban Drive and throw it in the woods. Which KC did. Hence the evidence on the car.

See??? So EASY to explain, we will ALL UNDERSTAND...

WARNING - EXTREME SARCASIM AHEAD.

The beer was in the script guys. She HAD to buy the beer ;)
Probably The Nanny needed it to calm the Sippy Gang. Also in the script (this hasnt been released yet) was to take the beer to Suburban Drive and throw it in the woods. Which KC did. Hence the evidence on the car.

See??? So EASY to explain, we will ALL UNDERSTAND...
More extreme sarcasm here too...

Yep, now that you explained it the pieces are all starting to fall together...I keep forgetting about the sippy gang and these fugitive kidnappers/alcoholics. You know if these people could be featured on Americas Most Wanted there might be a break in the case...these are about the most illusive criminals around, they are not going to be easy to find and have probably skipped the country already..somewhere like Puerto Rico possibly.

Not only is she on video at the target, she is not buying spy gear, or gear to hold up in her car to do stake outs like she told Lee, she is buying lace bras and panties and beer and 8 packages of paper towels and sunglasses. Even if they find jurors from Mars that have never heard of this case, the contents of that shopping cart are pretty definitive.:behindbar

I wonder what Casey's demeanor is going to be like next time at the hearing, now that she knows she is going to be facing a prison sentence , for sure, in the check fraud case. The reality is setting in.

I find myself wondering the same thing. I also wonder if her plea on the murder charge will change? It's time that reality hit her in the face and if she continues to plea not guilty she will end up in the chair or with a 23 gage needle. "IMO" her defense is not looking out for her best interest and that is OK by me if she did kill Caylee, she deserves what is coming to her for what she did to her daughter and more. I see the defense milking this case for their own personal gain and AL is going to regret being mixed up in this mess. Baez paid the money back so he admitted to Casey's guilt already, why has he not changed her plea I wonder?

I find myself wondering the same thing. I also wonder if her plea on the murder charge will change? It's time that reality hit her in the face and if she continues to plea not guilty she will end up in the chair or with a 23 gage needle. "IMO" her defense is not looking out for her best interest and that is OK by me if she did kill Caylee, she deserves what is coming to her for what she did to her daughter and more. I see the defense milking this case for their own personal gain and AL is going to regret being mixed up in this mess. Baez paid the money back so he admitted to Casey's guilt already, why has he not changed her plea I wonder?
I think the defense will wait until the last minute to enter a guilty plea, it's bad press and the longer they can hold off, the better in their minds. Maybe they are hoping to cut some sort of a deal, but I would be surprised is there is one...too much evidence against her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member