MT MT - Robin Gary Smith, 34, Stillwater County, 2 Sept 2009

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.ktvq.com/Global/story.asp?S=11086354

7 Sept 09

Search and rescue crews are looking for a missing Billings man in the West Rosebud area.

Stillwater County Deputy Cole Waltner says a resident noticed an SUV parked in the Pine Grove Campground off West Rosebud Rd on September 2nd.

Deputies tell Montana's News Station that the owner of SUV is Robin Gary Smith, 34, of Billings. Authorities were told he was fired from his job and went up the mountain.

Smith is described as being 5'8" tall, weighing 180 pounds, and has blonde hair and blue eyes.

Stillwater and Sweetgrass County Search and Rescue teams, as well as the Absaroka Search Dogs are concentrating their efforts up the West Rosebud drainage.

pic
moz-screenshot-19.png

Search for missing man suspended

A two-week search in Stillwater County for a missing Billings man has been suspended.

Stillwater County Sheriff's Deputy Cole Waltner said the field search for Robin Gary Smith was suspended at noon Monday. Waltner is continuing to investigate Smith's disappearance.
Waltner said the field search has been expansive with six dog teams from Absaroka Search Dogs and Western Montana Search Dogs that joined seven teams of searchers from the Stillwater and Sweetgrass counties search and rescue groups. They covered the areas around the Mystic Lake Trail and Frozen to Death Plateau, Waltner said.

"We covered thousands of acres," Waltner said. "We covered 400 acres alone yesterday (Sunday). We were putting all our resources into this and dealing with really steep terrain; rock slides; heavy, heavy downfall; cliffs and river crossings."

http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/article_42181832-a184-11de-a43d-001cc4c03286.html

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/23775
Status Missing
First name Robin
Middle name Gary
Last name Smith
Nickname/Alias
Date last seen March 14, 2009 01:00
Date entered 03/11/2014
Age last seen 34 to years old
Age now 39 years old
Race White
Ethnicity
Sex Male
Height (inches) 68.0
Weight (pounds) 200.0
Dental Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available
DNA Status: Sample is currently not available
Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available

Robin went missing 6 years ago today.

I dont live too far from here but have only been in Montana like 3 yrs. We have been in and around E Rosebud many times as well as Mystic lake area and checking out all the camping spots along the way. I will make a huge effort to start checking out the area around W rosebud since we haven't been there at all yet. Also I will be moving much closer to that area within the next couple months so Definitely will be looking out for anything . I will check out pine grove campground. I can tell you that this is some sketchy terrain and Huge Bear territory. Mystic lake trail is also heavily traveled but there are places/woods etc along the way that it would be easy to hide and not be found.

20120728_141724.jpg

East rosebud lake area hope this works

So I did go check out this Pine Grove Campground Friday. I had been down this road a few times, once for the mystic lake hike a couple yrs ago. But I had not checked out this particular camping area yet. It is on a very long dirt road..goes on for miles and miles to the right of the dirt road and opposite the campground is a steep rocky almost void of trees type terrain. Very similar to what the mystic hike turns into toward the top. The campground itself is very narrow on the left side of the road with a lot of tall seems like pole pines...bordered by a small very passable creek. Then if you were to cross that creek you would be in a ton of pines and mountains and to me...the perfect place to get lost. I did notice that up a ways there was a small bridge that you could cross the creek even in a car, but it was inaccessible due to a tree laying across it. The campground was not yet open for the season so I had to walk into it and around.
It was starting to get very chilly by the time I left and I did no attempt to cross the creek or hike as I did not bring a back pack or any bear spray. But I will try to post pics of this area for you so you can get an idea of what it is like.

Well I tried to upload the files from my computer via my phone and it said the file was too big. Maybe I can email the pics to myself and upload that way, I will check.

UGH All my pics are too big.

SweetT, have you tried uploading your saved pics to Tinypic and then posting them from there? That's what I use to post pics. If you need help with that just let me know.

Wow that area is stunningly beautiful! That picture is gorgeous. Thank you for going to the area yourself. If I may repeat the WS anthem, please be safe!

This sounds like someone who who will eventually be found by searchers or hikers in the area one of these days, unfortunately. So sad for his family to be hanging in limbo...

Beautiful area. Im afraid Robin was lost or injured and succumbed to the elements or to the bears or even mountain lions...very sad.

SweetT, have you tried uploading your saved pics to Tinypic and then posting them from there? That's what I use to post pics. If you need help with that just let me know.

Wow that area is stunningly beautiful! That picture is gorgeous. Thank you for going to the area yourself. If I may repeat the WS anthem, please be safe!

This sounds like someone who who will eventually be found by searchers or hikers in the area one of these days, unfortunately. So sad for his family to be hanging in limbo...

I will try the Tinypic thing, but if that doesnt work I could email/text them to someone if they wouldnt mind and then they could post them. I'm not opposed to that. I don't know what the weather was like the day he went missing but its not uncommon to even have snow that early and that high up in the mountains. It would be like finding a needle in a haystack if he just wanted to not be found.

ITs taking way too long to upload to tiny pic from my phone and then when I try to upload another pic I have to start all over and let all pics on my phone reload..I have over 3K pics on my phone so it takes way too long. If anyone wants to volunteer up an email or a number I'll text or email all the Pine Grove Campground pics to you.

It took 35 minutes for that last photo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back