Books in Book shelf

ChaCha

Reaction score
I found it interesting to do a google search on the books found in the shelf and wondered if anyone else would care to join in the search.

Here are a few:
Psychomech, ISBN 0-312-85371-8, is a horror novel written by Brian Lumley and published by Tor Books in 1984. This book is approximately 334 pages in length and focuses on the events in the life of Richard Garrison, a corporal in the British Military Police, after meeting Thomas Schroeder, a rich German industrialist. The novel focuses heavily on the idea of extra-sensory perception (ESP).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Lumley

Interesting concept for a thread.

I must say that as an avid reader of mystery novels (among other genres) myself, I am intrigued by Jaycee's "library".

Surely Jaycee's story in all its brutal reality equals in sheer horror any of these novels.

One wonders if she found strength from reading them . . . or if she had hope that an investigator wouldn't give up on finding her. And maybe she imagined such an investigator from reading these books.

I wonder if she saw herself in the novels.

Thank you for starting this thread, ChaCha.

I wondered similar things about Jaycee's library, MBK.

One reason I prefer mystery fiction is that it is a morality play of good vs. evil. The "perp" gets caught and the victim gets justice. There is closure/resolution. It's possible I'm over-thinking her choices, since a lot of the books were probably brought back from a used book store or library sale by PG. (No disrespect to my two favorite shopping places). ;) But since it sounds like Jaycee had some outside trips they could be her choices, too. I bet she spent a LOT of time escaping into her novels. Bless her heart.

I wonder if the books were approved by the master of the home. Fiction of certain types could be acceptable to this guy, but non fiction crime books never would be allowed. Was there a Bible seen anywhere in the library or home? I'd be willing to bet that the girls were not allowed to read the Bible.

Some of the books shown looked like they had stickers on the spines, like either library books or former library books...I figure PG knew how to find free stuff...free boxes, some places have random "take a book leave a book" kind of tables...like the laundry room of my old apartment complex had one of those. It wasn't monitored or anything. I've wondered if many of the cat trinkets were found in that manner, too. Garage sales, too. Oh, and Goodwill! There are people who know every day which Goodwill in town has a particular colored tag on sale and the whole sale rotation and such. I knew someone who lived next to a thrift store and sometimes people would just dump things outside the donation door, like after hours or whatever, so they'd snag it. And don't even get me started on "found food." :)

Point is, when you wander town all day, as some folks are wont to do, you may run across a free or very cheap cat trinket or a mystery novel and if you felt like collecting those things, you probably could.

The tents and such reminded me of this local guy. He has this semi-permanent "yard sale" set up in his backyard. He scavenges and cleans things up, knows the best times to dumpster dive, like when all the college kids are leaving for the summer, whatever. Of course, garage sale guy's backyard was much cleaner and maintained better than what these poor young women had. :(
ack, time for bed!

I wonder if the books were approved by the master of the home. Fiction of certain types could be acceptable to this guy, but non fiction crime books never would be allowed. Was there a Bible seen anywhere in the library or home? I'd be willing to bet that the girls were not allowed to read the Bible.

There is a picture of a Bible CD laying on the floor in one of the tents. I'll see if I can find it.

. . . .
29gls75.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...aycee-Lee-Dugards-garden-prison.html?image=17

. . . .
168bygw.jpg

The book on Jaycee Dugard's nightstand: "Shadowbridge" by Philadelphia's Greg Frost

Was real-life kidnap victim Jaycee Lee Dugard reading the fantasy novel, Shadowbridge, by Philadelphia author Gregory Frost, right before she found freedom? Did she ever get to the part about the boy sold into servitude in a brothel for children?

Philadelphia novelist Gregory Frost was deeply engrossed in work on his next novel recently when he received an e-mail from his editor, Ellen Datlow, along with several others, asking him if he had seen news photos of kidnap victim Jaycee Lee Dugard’s nightstand. continued

http://www.examiner.com/x-4299-Phil...e-Dugard-reading-novel-by-Philadelphia-author

I have always been an avid reader of true crime, particularly Ann Rule. Then my daughter was raped and almost killed my therapist told me I had to stop reading that kind of book for a while as it made me "Catastrophizing" that is an irrational thought a lot of us have in believing that something is far worse than it actually is.

And when my traumatized child and grandchildren moved in it was not a good mix. They would be having night terrors and thinking they were going to die and I became too fearful.

I still love the True Crime Books becuase I think they inform us of what is really out there and that evil does truly exist.

But therapy is good for anyone who has had this kind of trauma.

I wonder if the books were a way for her to escape her reality and deal with it? The level of evil in those books are extreme.

I was glad someone found audio tapes of the Bible.

. . . .
29gls75.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...aycee-Lee-Dugards-garden-prison.html?image=17

. . . .
168bygw.jpg

The book on Jaycee Dugard's nightstand: "Shadowbridge" by Philadelphia's Greg Frost

Was real-life kidnap victim Jaycee Lee Dugard reading the fantasy novel, Shadowbridge, by Philadelphia author Gregory Frost, right before she found freedom? Did she ever get to the part about the boy sold into servitude in a brothel for children?

Philadelphia novelist Gregory Frost was deeply engrossed in work on his next novel recently when he received an e-mail from his editor, Ellen Datlow, along with several others, asking him if he had seen news photos of kidnap victim Jaycee Lee Dugard’s nightstand. continued

http://www.examiner.com/x-4299-Phil...e-Dugard-reading-novel-by-Philadelphia-author
I noticed that these books (the one on the nightstand) were library books. See the little white tags near the bottom? I wonder if he took them to the library - or were they simply bought - I know that libraries sell off books they no longer want.

Don't know if this matters - it was just an observation of mine that those books came from a library.

I wonder if Jaycee was an avid reader before she was taken? I have always been a reader, and when I try to imagine a life like Jaycee's I can see reading anything and everything available. I doubt she chose her books; I imagine her captor brought her books. You can get discarded library books for next to nothing. I've known some used bookstores that have had sales where you buy by the bag or box, not by the book. So you can have as many books as you can cram into a container for a low, flat fee. Garrido seems like a hoarder, so I wouldn't be surprised if he would get bunches of miscellaneous titles. And I wouldn't be surprised is Jaycee read everything, not only for the escape, but to combat boredom. There was a case of a girl who was kidnapped and imprisoned in the 70s; she was kept for weeks/months, obviously not as long as Jaycee. She had only her schoolbooks with her. She was abused, but when she was alone she exercised and read her schoolbooks to keep her spirits up. I read about it in the book Among the Missing.

"A Game of Thrones" - I think that this is the book underneath "Shadow Bridge".

2wlx3k9.jpg
ztgewx.jpg

. . . .
29gls75.jpg

. . . .
168bygw.jpg

I don't know about hte books but the sheets on the bed was bought at dollar store in 1998 . I know this cause somebody gave me the same sheet set for a wedding gift. So that could go along the line of buying stuff at yard sales.

I noticed that these books (the one on the nightstand) were library books. See the little white tags near the bottom? I wonder if he took them to the library - or were they simply bought - I know that libraries sell off books they no longer want.

Don't know if this matters - it was just an observation of mine that those books came from a library.

Interesting. Remember, he was arrested for the drugging and raping a girl he picked up from the Antioch Library back in the 70s. The case was dropped because the girl didn't want to testify. I still would like to know who his accomplice was - an unidentified male.

It's been said that Jaycee has tried her best to homeschool the girls. If this bookcase is the only books they had access to, then I don't see any books on homeschooling. I am homeschooling a boy the age of Jaycee's oldest and I have several math, several reading, grammar, science, etc. They would be immediately noticeable sitting in a bookshelf along with spirals, and school supplies and the test packets..

That's what you'd have if you are reporting your schooling to the state, but since no one even knew those girls really existed it's unlikely that they did a homeschool report.

More power to you for homeschooling. I'm just not sure I could do it myself.

I think that "homeschooling" = reading/writing, not much else.

There seem to be a lot of gardening books in the compound though, even though it doesnt look like anyone was actually doing gardening. Most likely that is where the comment about edible flowers came from.

That's what you'd have if you are reporting your schooling to the state, but since no one even knew those girls really existed it's unlikely that they did a homeschool report.

More power to you for homeschooling. I'm just not sure I could do it myself.

I believe California even made it against the law somehow to homeschool. I just know that some were very upset about it. Texas is one of the most lenient as long as the 5 core subjects are taught, and no monitoring or testing is even required at all. I did tell the school, went in and signed a form, and told them which cirriculum we're using right now.

Thank you for starting this thread, ChaCha.

I wondered similar things about Jaycee's library, MBK.

One reason I prefer mystery fiction is that it is a morality play of good vs. evil. The "perp" gets caught and the victim gets justice. There is closure/resolution. It's possible I'm over-thinking her choices, since a lot of the books were probably brought back from a used book store or library sale by PG. (No disrespect to my two favorite shopping places). ;) But since it sounds like Jaycee had some outside trips they could be her choices, too. I bet she spent a LOT of time escaping into her novels. Bless her heart.

Interesting ideas. Many of the posters on WS had a crime perpetrated on them at some point. So I can see a correlation. Also she kinda had a limited number of subjects or genre's to choose from. Romance might be too painful, as she was never at a point of even being allowed to dream of her "knight in shining armor." Not everyone gets into science fiction. Non-fiction "how I got to be successful" also might cause too much pain because she never had the opportunity. Inspiring books might feel irrelavant in a hopeless situation.
There were a couple of self-help books there, so I kinda think she was picking them out on her own. If it was just boxes of books, I would expect more of mix of genre's.

They may have been doing their shopping at Goodwill or the Salvation Army or other free/donation store. Someone here said that they read her clothing was ill fitting and out of style. Goodwill and SA also carries books, so a shopping trip for clothing could have meant a few extras.

I believe California even made it against the law somehow to homeschool.
No they haven't. I still know some people who homeschool. I don't think I could ever do it, but it was a good threat to use for my schoolboard if I needed to!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back