649 users online (80 members and 569 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    3,081

    Jaycee's Terror as Her Ordeal Began

    New revelations:

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5300008.shtml

    Immediately before her life changed forever in 1991, Dugard was an 11 year old at a bus stop near her house in South Lake Tahoe, Calif., when she was dragged into a car, allegedly by Philip Garrido and his wife, Nancy.

    "Once she was in the car," former San Francisco prosecutor Michael Cardoza told CBS News, "what happened was they pushed her down on the floorboards, threatened her, and then took her straight away to Antioch, Calif.," where the Garridos lived.

    Cardoza says police sources tell him it was years before Jaycee was allowed off the Garridos' property. "They put her in the backyard in a tent or one of the outbuildings back there," Cardoza adds. "They left her in the backyard for three-and-a-half years before they let her get out in public."


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,189
    I figure it was really much longer than that. Jaycee might have been expecting the first child around 3 1/2 years later. The abductor wouldn't have wanted such a young pregnant teen being seen with him out in public and so soon after her disappearance. Maybe she was only allowed out of the tent or shed at that time, but even that is pretty doubtful IMO.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    454
    i feel he finally had total and complete control of her once her child was born. the baby was the ultimate weapon in his twisted arsenal. Jaycee has proven to be a very very strong person, just to even survive what she has been through. he knew that she would not dare risk losing her child by trying to run. i think that this statement of her being allowed in public (and by that i mean probably just allowed out of the shed around them for a while before actually going into "public") is probably valid. i don't think we have heard any accounts of people seeing her when she was a child, so if he did let her out, it was only around him and his equally sicko wife. three and a half years is a long time to be isolated, she was completely brainwashed by this freak. sadly, it really doesn't take that much time to terrorize a child to the point of submission. Michael Devlin was back at work within a few days and had gained complete compliance from Ben Ownby.

    IMO only....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFromLB View Post
    New revelations:

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5300008.shtml

    Immediately before her life changed forever in 1991, Dugard was an 11 year old at a bus stop near her house in South Lake Tahoe, Calif., when she was dragged into a car, allegedly by Philip Garrido and his wife, Nancy.

    "Once she was in the car," former San Francisco prosecutor Michael Cardoza told CBS News, "what happened was they pushed her down on the floorboards, threatened her, and then took her straight away to Antioch, Calif.," where the Garridos lived.

    Cardoza says police sources tell him it was years before Jaycee was allowed off the Garridos' property. "They put her in the backyard in a tent or one of the outbuildings back there," Cardoza adds. "They left her in the backyard for three-and-a-half years before they let her get out in public."

    Nothing new in that atricle and I think Cardoza is speculating...I figured most of that scenario out just from this website and common sense.

    Cardoza also is the one who said his sources told him that PG and NG spotted JD on a Sunday and waited until the next day to do the abduction.

    I will reserve judgement on that, but have expressed my doubts about it as well.

    However...I am beginning to have a change of heart about visiting this site any longer.



    Does it really need to be in print the purient details of what terror this beautiful 11-yr old girl endured while in bonded captivity? Don't we all already know what happened by what's been released on this story so far?

    I remember, a long time ago, seeing pictures of the 9-11 jumpers from the WTC online somewhere and the aftermath.

    It sickened me and I felt like I intruded on their dignity.

    I felt the same way reading Ms. Calloway's police report from 1976 here at WS and I could not finish it in it's entirety.

    We know the same thing, more than likely the exact same thing, happened to an eleven-year old child, over and over, by a 6'5'' man, probably in the same frenzied manner.

    It sickens me...and I now feel like I am intruding on Jaycee Dugard's dignity.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    24,159

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by citypat View Post
    Nothing new in that atricle and I think Cardoza is speculating...I figured most of that scenario out just from this website and common sense.

    Cardoza also is the one who said his sources told him that PG and NG spotted JD on a Sunday and waited until the next day to do the abduction.

    I will reserve judgement on that, but have expressed my doubts about it as well.

    However...I am beginning to have a change of heart about visiting this site any longer.



    Does it really need to be in print the purient details of what terror this beautiful 11-yr old girl endured while in bonded captivity? Don't we all already know what happened by what's been released on this story so far?

    I remember, a long time ago, seeing pictures of the 9-11 jumpers from the WTC online somewhere and the aftermath.

    It sickened me and I felt like I intruded on their dignity.

    I felt the same way reading Ms. Calloway's police report from 1976 here at WS and I could not finish it in it's entirety.

    We know the same thing, more than likely the exact same thing, happened to an eleven-year old child, over and over, by a 6'5'' man, probably in the same frenzied manner.

    It sickens me...and I now feel like I am intruding on Jaycee Dugard's dignity.
    Take a break if you need... but do come back! We welcome your point of view.
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

    Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

    Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

    I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

    JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,189
    I don't think it's undignified to eventually learn at least a little bit of how something like this can happen. For those of us who grew up in the 70's and watched only shows like Father knows Best and Bewitched (totally insulated) it could help us be more aware. Even younger folks today are still insulated from heinous things that can happen. This goes for things like terrorist attacks as well. We need to know what to watch for and the public needs to be able to express that they support and are there for the victims. The decent people of the world need to learn how to support and help each other and never forget the horrors that some people can inflict.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Antioch
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFromLB View Post
    New revelations: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5300008.shtml

    "Once she was in the car," former San Francisco prosecutor Michael Cardoza told CBS News, "what happened was they pushed her down on the floorboards, threatened her, and then took her straight away to Antioch, Calif.,"where the Garridos lived.

    Cardoza says police sources tell him it was years before Jaycee was allowed off the Garridos' property. "They put her in the backyard in a tent or one of the outbuildings back there," Cardoza adds. "They left her in the backyard for three-and-a-half years before they let her get out in public."
    (Some text unbolded by me).


    Quote Originally Posted by citypat View Post
    Nothing new in that atricle and I think Cardoza is speculating...I figured most of that scenario out just from this website and common sense.

    Cardoza also is the one who said his sources (BBM) told him that PG and NG spotted JD on a Sunday and waited until the next day to do the abduction.

    I will reserve judgement on that, but have expressed my doubts about it as well.

    However...I am beginning to have a change of heart about visiting this site any longer.

    Does it really need to be in print the purient details of what terror this beautiful 11-yr old girl endured while in bonded captivity? Don't we all already know what happened by what's been released on this story so far?

    {snip}
    I felt the same way reading Ms. Calloway's police report from 1976 here at WS and I could not finish it in it's entirety.

    We know the same thing, more than likely the exact same thing, happened to an eleven-year old child, over and over, by a 6'5'' man, probably in the same frenzied manner.

    It sickens me...and I now feel like I am intruding on Jaycee Dugard's dignity.


    I think a lot of us understand how you feel, citypat. I was shocked that Reno PD released the 1976 police report to the media, who in turn put it up for interested parties to read. I read it (linked from a news media website, not WS), and feel it contains TMI for the general public, and invaded Ms. Calloways's privacy all over again.

    As for Mr. Cardoza, I get that he might be a respected attorney who is often relied on as a "talking head" on tv panels, and whatever, but he is relaying third party information for these stories. His LE friend told him and he's telling us these additional details. Should he even be doing this? Does the public need to know everything, and if it does, shouldn't it come directly from people involved with the case?

    As for leaving WS, that choice is yours. I felt like it a couple times this week when I realized some people are quick to judge everything they see and hear, without looking at all sides of a story. I believe that to be a good Sleuther, one has to be open to everything, no matter how much one dislikes something or someone, and I wasn't seeing that among a large section of the community. But I took a few hours away and came back knowing that all that matters is that I look at and see things with an open mind, and if I don't understand something (like in the example above) I ask for opinions to understand it better.

    As Linask said, take a break if you need to, but please come back.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    454
    i do see your point citypat and unfortunately, details like this will be coming forward and they will be discussed here. this may sound like a horribly insensitive thing to say, but many people here are able to somewhat detach from the situation to try to get into the hows, whys etc. it's been hard for me too, i was sad and mad when they released the business card photo, even if it turns out to not be her, i felt that was wrong. it made me really upset when some people were discussing how they hope she goes on to make a lot of money! many times i have to take breaks because i get really pissed about what has happened to these people and if i posted my thoughts, i would surely get a time out. i have to respect and deal with that these things will come out, whether we want them to or not. i hope you don't leave!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,279
    I do think Jaycee step father was correct when he says jaycee was quiet and would not fight. that is probalby what saved her life

    I just hope theres not victims that did fight before or after jaycee

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,796
    I saw that someone had gotten hold of Ms. Calloway's police report and was sad that they made it public. I don't know how it came to be released or if Ms. Calloway gave permission. I did see the bits that were published in some of the media, but didn't feel it necessary to read the report. However, some people will. I think they are hoping for a better understanding of the crime. And in some ways I can see that. I was surprised that in such a time of horror that Ms Calloway did keep herself together enough to try to get PG to talking and she was successful at that. I don't know that I could do that. But it is supposed to be a good thing to do, to try to make the perp see you as human, not an object.

    At one time, rape victims names were changed in court papers. But usually everyone knew who it was. And because rape victims were treated differently, secretly it caused some to feel 'ashamed' of what happened. Even though they weren't at fault. You never heard of a rape victim talking to media, it just wasn't done. But it is good that rape victims are now speaking out. They shouldn't be ashamed, the suspect should. And what is in the police report isn't what she did, it is what was done to her. Just as if she had been stabbed, she was raped. Plain and simple, they are both assaults.

    City Pat what you are feeling is something I think we all feel at times. The horrible nature of the crimes, the amount of info about them can be very overwhelming. Taking a break can help. So can spending some time in the non crime sections, esp. the news to make you smile, jury room, pets, games and the bizarre forum. If you can laugh again, it helps. So can finding a kid to hug. So that you can reassure yourself that you and yours are ok. Then when you are feeling better, come back.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Antioch
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    I saw that someone had gotten hold of Ms. Calloway's police report and was sad that they made it public. I don't know how it came to be released or if Ms. Calloway gave permission..
    I don't know if Ms. Callaway gave permission, but the copy of the report I read (through the ABC news site) has every page stamped "Media" and dated 9/1/09, so it was Reno PD that apparently released it to media sites. The victim's name, address (at the time), and some minor details were redacted, but I think anyone who reads it would know who the victim is.

    Is it common to release reports like they did in this case?

    Link to 88 page police report: http://media.graytvinc.com/documents...+File+1976.pdf



Similar Threads

  1. How It All Began
    By Maikai in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 01:13 AM