CA - Natalie Wood, 43, drowned off California coast, 29 Nov 1981

arielilane

Justice for Liz Barraza
Reaction score
Website
www.whokilledlizbarraza.com
I remember when this happened.
I always thought that it was more than just an accident.
Maybe a fight, shoving and something happened, like she fell overboard
and no one could save her.

The stories then... it was more like what they did not say.

I remember this very well. I had just turned 18 and was working for an entertainment company in Hollywood. The week after Natalie's death, I was making promotional calls to studios and I ended up talking to Natalie's sister, Lana Wood. She just started talking about her sister's death and what a loss it was. I have no idea why she opened up to me like that but I will never forget it.

The circumstances of Natalie's death were odd and I would not be surprised if a reopening of the case revealed details that had not been made public. However, much of what Dennis Davern reports in this article (28 years after the fact) was reported back then -- drunkenness, jealousy, a big argument. Walking around drunk on a boat is dangerous.

Thanks for the link to this story, arielilane. I always thought that more happened that night than was reported. What was written between the lines was more telling than what was actually in print. Of course, the one person who could tell us for certain is gone - Natalie. I have never heard any comments made by Christopnher Walken as to what he heard, saw,etc that night. His silence is deafening, IMO.

Nothing to add, but I had forgotten how stunningly beautiful Natalie Wood was.

Many of us who recall the "accident" had questions. However, this is 2009, and, assuming N's death was not an accident, I doubt there would be evidence enough for authorities to go after Robert Wagner.

I remember this too. My mom was a huge Natalie Wood/Robert Wagner fan and she and I always thought there was more to this than anyone said.

I hate to think Robert Wagner did something though. I love him.

I do have to question the source of this information. The National Enquirer is not exactly a reputable news source and is a sensationalist tabloid magazine.

That said - I always thought her death was suspicious too but I don't think it will ever be proven and will remain a mystery.

She is one of my favorite actresses. Splendor in the Grass is one of my favorite movies. I loved Gypsie too.

I cannot imagine Wagner killing her...Christopher Walken however....creepy dude.

Her fear of water is what always stuck with me about Natalie's death. I found the quote that I had ingrained in my memory many years ago:

"I'm frightened to death of the water,'' Natalie Wood once said. ''I can swim a little bit, but I'm afraid of water that is dark.'' The 43-year-old actress' fear was tragically justified on Nov. 29, 1981, when her body was discovered floating in a cove at Catalina Island, Calif.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,312482,00.html

I remember this too. I always felt something was amiss about her death. But a lot of stars get away with murder. I thought she was so pretty and a great actress. It was such a shame to lose her.

Nothing to add, but I had forgotten how stunningly beautiful Natalie Wood was.

Kat, I think she was just one of the most beautiful women ever. I love her movies and rent them often. She also had a lovely speaking voice.

I remember when she died. I was so saddened by it.

I remember when Natalie supposedly drowned. I never thought it was accidental.

No one that lived there in that beach area thought it was an accident but at that time they hushed up all this type of thing. I was just 21 at the time but it was definately a tragedy.
It was always talked about as a non accident....

If there is fighting out there where they were, someone heard it for sure.

I always thought she was one of the most beautiful actresses that I have seen!!!! Beautiful eyes and smile..

Wonder what we will hear from Christopher Walkens and Robert Wagner......and was anyone else on the Splendour????

Why is this coming out now and not years ago? :waitasec:

The captain of the boat says that he was both hushed up and that he was drinking over the years. I think now he's dried up and coming forward? I don't know, but I do have a hard time imagining Robert Wagner beating up Natalie Wood and murdering her. He was Jonathon Hart, for goodness sake!

The captain of the boat says that he was both hushed up and that he was drinking over the years. I think now he's dried up and coming forward? I don't know, but I do have a hard time imagining Robert Wagner beating up Natalie Wood and murdering her. He was Jonathon Hart, for goodness sake!
He's an actor... isn't he also the voice of "Jack" from Jack-In-The-Box commercials???

personally, i love "miracle on 34th street" :)

i really think her death was an accident... a BAC of .14%, fear of water, not being a strong swimmer and the fact she was wearing a down jacket that the coroner said was 30-40 pounds wet (weighing her small frame down)... i think in the dark she fell/slipped off the boat and was simply unable to re-board/call for help. so sad!

there is a very interesting chapter about her death in "coroner" by thomas noguchi m.d. (1983).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back