909 users online (142 members and 767 guests)  

Websleuths News

CO - Ellenor Hacker, 55, Boulder, Dec 1959

Nearly a half century ago, in Dec. 1959, Ellenor Hacker, a 55-year-old widow, disappeared when she left her Boulder home at 6:30 a.m. to take out the trash. Eleven years later, the Boulder police found her in Victoria, British Columbia. During the intervening years, no one -- not even her family -- knew where she was.

Initially her sisters and grown children suspected that she had been murdered. Hacker, who worked as an insurance underwriter, was believed to have been wearing a pink nightgown and bathrobe, leaving the back door open and her purse and glasses behind. However, missing from the home near Arapahoe Ave. and 20th Street that she shared with her son and daughter was $350 dollars from a recent stock sale.

http://www.dailycamera.com/lifestyles/ci_13271605

I think this woman was unbelievably cruel to her family. A postcard saying, "Hi! all is well, I just hate you all" would have alleviated years of worry by her family. What a witch.
    PS Sylvia Pettem is a member here, I shrieked with delight when I saw one of her posts-I luvs her writing!

WOW.... just WOW.... Makes you wonder about who else could have said "the heck with it" and picked up and left, ya know?
    God Grant me the serenity to accept those things which I cannot change, the strength to change those things which I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore, and who always will. So don't worry about people from your past; there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Wow. I agree with Eeyorelrn. It really makes you wonder...

Well now this is some story - just said the heck with it and left and made it intriguing because she likes mysteries. I just cannot imagine the hell that her family went through for those 11 years not knowing if she was alive or dead. At least she could have made contact that she was alive and did not want to be found. She got what she wanted: mystery and adventure - hopefully her family has healed now from the experience.

In Pennsylvania, but wishing she was some place else.
    Wow, I can't believe she just walked off. Sometimes I do wonder how many other's out there have done the samething. We think their missing and their not they started over some where else. I agree she could of at least called the police to explain that she wasn't missing and there was no need for an investigation.

jnTexas is offline Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
    how could you leave your children? Even if they were grown?

What a selfish cow. All the time, expense and energy wasted trying to find her. Shame on her.
    John 3:16

Everyday it is my fervent prayer that these cases are solved

Dang if that was my mother or loved one there would be no reluctant meeting, I would tell her to go to he$$ and enjoy the rest of her life.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieR View Post
    Dang if that was my mother or loved one there would be no reluctant meeting, I would tell her to go to he$$ and enjoy the rest of her life.
    Same! I couldnt imagine leaving my kids behind

Quote Originally Posted by spamelope View Post
    Nearly a half century ago, in Dec. 1959, Ellenor Hacker, a 55-year-old widow, disappeared when she left her Boulder home at 6:30 a.m. to take out the trash. Eleven years later, the Boulder police found her in Victoria, British Columbia. During the intervening years, no one -- not even her family -- knew where she was.

Initially her sisters and grown children suspected that she had been murdered. Hacker, who worked as an insurance underwriter, was believed to have been wearing a pink nightgown and bathrobe, leaving the back door open and her purse and glasses behind. However, missing from the home near Arapahoe Ave. and 20th Street that she shared with her son and daughter was $350 dollars from a recent stock sale.

http://www.dailycamera.com/lifestyles/ci_13271605

I think this woman was unbelievably cruel to her family. A postcard saying, "Hi! all is well, I just hate you all" would have alleviated years of worry by her family. What a witch.
    PS Sylvia Pettem is a member here, I shrieked with delight when I saw one of her posts-I luvs her writing!

Wow Spamelope.. just wow.. I so agree with all of you all.. She should of just told family bye going to live a different life from all of you .. That is so wrong to let loved ones think you are missing .. just missing and maybe dead by someone else..

So cruel.. for so many years..

Thanks for the link to Sylvia Pettem... I so enjoy finding new links to read like this... Have any more up your sleeve Spamelope.????
    Misty Where Is Sweet Haleigh?

Sweet Angel Caylee

Bless All the Little Angels

All I post is IMO

Was there specific information shared that she is doesn't have a mental illness or some mitigating mental condition? It just seems so impossible to imagine someone up and leaving -- especially their children as folks have already commented here!

But, it seems impossible to think about someone killing their child as well!
    A run-away may leave on purpose, but that doesn't mean that they are able to get back home.... Never stop searching.

Must of had some sort of midlife existential(sp?) crisis. Maybe she didn't live the sort of life she wanted up until that point, so she just had to get away. Still, like somebody else wrote, she could've sent or left a note. Wanting a new life is one thing, being selfish is another.
    The positive to this is, she left when her kids were grown and her husband dead. And it gives families of missing people a ray of hope. Believing a loved one is just off somewhere else having the time of their life is better than believing they are somebody's tortured sex slave or dead in a landfill.
    Last edited by parakeet; 09-19-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: altered a word

Quote Originally Posted by parakeet View Post
    Must of had some sort of midlife existential(sp?) crisis. Maybe she didn't live the sort of life she wanted up until that point, so she just had to get away. Still, like somebody else wrote, she could've sent or left a note. Wanting a new life is one thing, being selfish is another.
    The positive to this is, she left when her kids were grown and her husband dead. And it gives families of missing people a ray of hope. Believing a loved one is just off somewhere else having the time of their life is better than believing they are somebody's tortured sex slave or dead in a landfill.
    A lot of the people that do things like this seem to have Borderline Personality Disorder and they dont really understand how big of an issue doing something like this is, when (if) they are found they seem to be amazed that anyone was looking for them.

Another case thats similar is Michele Laurel Whitaker She went 'missing' in 2002 at the age of 32, her family were on a show called disappeared that they were filming in hopes to find. 90% of the show was BEFORE she was found so you see nothing but her poor mother and family being completely tormented thinking that she had been killed, raped.. held somewhere, nothing but 8 years of agony and searching - her mother having a nervous breakdown and fearing that she will go to her grave never knowing what happened to her daughter. Believe it or not but even the police were searching for her like mad for ALL 8 years.

She was found alive in 2008, She relocated across the country and apparently one of her new friends happened to see a webpage about her being missing and emailed the police - Her mother was told her daughter was alive but the police couldnt give the mother any other info because Michelle wanted no contact with them but later gave in and decided to call her mother (you actually see this in the show) and ended up coming home for a visit. The visit is recorded as well and its enough to make you NUTS, the daughter is completely annoyed and mean the entire time and it was just painful to watch.

Sorry for the off topic bits, but the points I wanted to make is that they dont seem to care. They dont care that their family is heartbroken and thinking the worst every day until they are found, or that their families have no ability to move forward in their life because they are haunted by the fact that someone they love is simply gone.. They dont care that police spend precious time looking for them that could be spent looking for someone that is actually missing.

Oddly enough when Michelle was asked why she didnt bother to let them know at any point during the 8 years she said that she didnt know anyone would look for her.

Quote Originally Posted by kirsty View Post
    Same! I couldnt imagine leaving my kids behind
    I could, and I lol when I read post 1 and wished I could do that.
    Here's why;
    Maybe my grown children would change their attitudes a bit and start caring about other people instead of being so incredibly selfish, and ungrateful.

This lady may have gifted her grown children who were living with her, and probably off her with having to become productive citizens who take care of themselves, and gaining empathy for the blight of the suffering of others as well.

jmooc
    My Opinion Only..MOO

This missing woman gives me hope that there are other missing adults that did just walk away and did not meet foul play.