Yemeni-Child Bride dies while giving birth

believe09

Reaction score
This 12 year old was married off to a 24 year old man, and she died after bleeding out during 3 days of labor. The baby died as well. While I understand that this is not a common practice in the US, it is important to take into consideration the considerable risk associated with giving birth at so young an age-it brings a whole new meaning to what Jaycee Dugard went through giving birth at 14 to her first child!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/09/14/yemen.childbirth.death/index.html

From the article you posted:

"The issue of Yemeni child brides came to the forefront in 2008 with 10-year-old Nujood Ali.

She was pulled out of school and married to a man who beat and raped her within weeks of the ceremony.

To escape, Nujood hailed a taxi -- the first time in her life -- to get across town to the central courthouse where she sat on a bench and demanded to see a judge.

After a well-publicized trial, she was granted a divorce."

That's my type of child! :)

This is such a sad story. As we already know, much of the world has a LONG way to go in the arena of children's and women's rights. My prayers to the family of this baby who died trying to give birth to a baby.

"The issue of Yemeni child brides came to the forefront in 2008 with 10-year-old Nujood Ali.

She was pulled out of school and married to a man who beat and raped her within weeks of the ceremony.

To escape, Nujood hailed a taxi -- the first time in her life -- to get across town to the central courthouse where she sat on a bench and demanded to see a judge.

This is such a sad story. As we already know, much of the world has a LONG way to go in the arena of children's and women's rights. My prayers to the family of this baby who died trying to give birth to a baby.

You know, as I read that, my heart SWELLED with pride for that scared, lonely, LITTLE girl. She will make it far, she is a fighter! good for her!

Very very sad, that little girl suffered for several days before she died.
I guess I'm not a very good person because I don't send out prayers for her family, they are the ones who sold her into marriage and helped cause this.

VB

OK, let's review...what kind of society allows their female children to be raped?? yeah.

Are you kidding me, most people live in extreme poverty and dispair in Yemen.

A high percentage of people earn less then $1.25 per day to support their famiies. Not to mention wars, lack of drinking water, food, infrastructure, social support, hospitals, doctors, no birth control, maternal health clinics, welfare offices, food stamps, UE(Unemployment insurance) Heck, I guess you can buy a "small" coffee from Tim Hortons for the amount that a person has to support their families.

So my prayers go out to the family who were forced to sell "their child" and their child died. My prayers go out to the children who died, whom were born by the sad luck to be in a country that is poor and undevelopd.

In the USA, child *advertiser censored*, molestation, rape, neglect, abuse, prositution are all inflected upon children.

What parent would "allow" their child to "turn tricks" on the street.

Women are viicitimized all over the world just because of the simple fact that they are female and in "other" countries women are not valued as they become the property of their "in laws" upon marriage.

CNN actually did a follow up story on this little girl one or two weeks ago. She is having a hard time adjusting, is being shunned and stared at. Her family believed that her notoriety would bring riches, which is partially why they took her back. A fund was set up to ensure she could go to school, but she is not attending....likely in part because she is a child and a victim.

In a way, and this is O/T, this reminds me of the overall approach to the kids who starred in Slumdog Millionaire. They were supposed to be "saved" by being paid a minimal amount of money and flown to the Academy Awards. Instead they were given a taste of chocolate souffle and now have to go back to living on gruel....rescuing children like this has to involve forward thinking...no less than in the Shawn Hornbeck or Jaycee Dugard cases. JMO.

You know, as I read that, my heart SWELLED with pride for that scared, lonely, LITTLE girl. She will make it far, she is a fighter! good for her!

She could use some prayer, right now. Like Believe mentioned, a recent article detailed the many, many problems this little girl is having.

Are you kidding me, most people live in extreme poverty and dispair in Yemen.

A high percentage of people earn less then $1.25 per day to support their famiies. Not to mention wars, lack of drinking water, food, infrastructure, social support, hospitals, doctors, no birth control, maternal health clinics, welfare offices, food stamps, UE(Unemployment insurance) Heck, I guess you can buy a "small" coffee from Tim Hortons for the amount that a person has to support their families.

So my prayers go out to the family who were forced to sell "their child" and their child died. My prayers go out to the children who died, whom were born by the sad luck to be in a country that is poor and undevelopd.

In the USA, child *advertiser censored*, molestation, rape, neglect, abuse, prositution are all inflected upon children.

What parent would "allow" their child to "turn tricks" on the street.

Women are viicitimized all over the world just because of the simple fact that they are female and in "other" countries women are not valued as they become the property of their "in laws" upon marriage.

The family certainly has my prayers, I would like to believe that extreme poverty and a lack of choices led to them making this decision for their little girl.

I am horrified that she was allowed to labor for three days. Poor little angel, I am so glad that her pain is over and will never visit her again.

I am also glad that while carpy stuff like child molestation and rape happen here in USA, at LEAST our government doesn't sanction it!

In a way, and this is O/T, this reminds me of the overall approach to the kids who starred in Slumdog Millionaire. They were supposed to be "saved" by being paid a minimal amount of money and flown to the Academy Awards. Instead they were given a taste of chocolate souffle and now have to go back to living on gruel....

I've read about that and it made me absolutely mad. While the Western world (or whatever we're called) directors and actors sit there lining their pockets and don't give a s!!t. As far as I know they only did something after it was mentioned in the newspapers:furious:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back