1111 users online (211 members and 900 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,195

    AZ - Coconino Co., human remains buried in yard, Apr'09 - Elsie Cantrell

    http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/s...181e90923.html

    10:34 AM Mountain Standard Time on Tuesday, September 15, 2009

    ...Elsie Cantrell, 79, vanished from her home in the spring of 1997. A few months ago, an animal belonging to a renter dug up a piece of cloth, which led to the discovery of the full skeletal remains of a human in the backyard.

    According to the Coconino County Sheriff's Office, the victim died as a result of a gunshot wound to the back of the head.

    Through DNA analysis, the victim has been tentatively identified as Cantrell. Further testing and analysis are being conducted to confirm the identity...
    Cantrell had not been reported as a missing person.
    Last edited by Cubby; 11-09-2010 at 02:31 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,359
    How sad that the woman wasn't reported missing by anyone.

    Obviously her own daughter didn't care. She's serving time for theft. I wonder if perhaps the daughter did the dirty deed and collected moms Social Security checks?

    Rest in peace Elsie Cantrell.

    Maz


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,690
    These are the really sad ones.
    It's bad to know there is someone looking, but somehow, it's worse to know that there isn't anyone looking.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2
    I ran into this by accident but I do have to say something. Ike and Elsie Cantrell were very good friends of mine as I lived not far from them in Ash Fork. I worked for them for awhile. Helped them build their home and restored some antiques for them. There has never been two nicer people that I have known. They had a ton of silver in a safe in the back bedroom and I fear that is what got her killed. May they both Rest in Peace. Later, Jim.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,538
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjim View Post
    I ran into this by accident but I do have to say something. Ike and Elsie Cantrell were very good friends of mine as I lived not far from them in Ash Fork. I worked for them for awhile. Helped them build their home and restored some antiques for them. There has never been two nicer people that I have known. They had a ton of silver in a safe in the back bedroom and I fear that is what got her killed. May they both Rest in Peace. Later, Jim.
    I have to ask kingjim, what did her friends think happen to her or what was the official story from the next of kin? I'd be curious to know.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,859
    Here is the press release regarding the positive ID of Elsie Cantrell's skeletal remains:

    http://www.coconino.az.gov/uploadedF...e%20091409.pdf

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,846
    Welcome to WS kingjim and thank you for sharing a little bit about Elsie and her husband with us.

    RIP Elsie, I'm glad she was finally identified.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    I have to ask kingjim, what did her friends think happen to her or what was the official story from the next of kin? I'd be curious to know.
    I don't know of any friends she had. Her and Ike were private people. I had not seen her after Ike passed away. I moved around allot and finally settled in Kingman. I knew nothing of her disappearance until I seen an article in the paper about her being found. I contacted the Sheriff at that time to tell him about the silver in the house. Never heard back from him. I am still sad that I did not keep in touch. They were both absolutely wonderful people.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3
    The link shown in the first post is dead. This link is still active:
    http://azdailysun.com/news/local/art...22800f550.html

    After reading the media release that carl posted I checked the Sheriffs website and was surprised to see that this case is not listed as one of their cold cases. Does anyone know if the daughter was ever charged? I don't see much out there on this.

  10. #10
    I am the wife of Elsie and Ike's grandson. Son of Dottie Champlin. We are just as frustrated about this as others are. My husband and his sisters were told by their mother that Elsie ran off in the middle of the night with a black man who had threatened Dottie. Some of us agree that Dottie had something to do with this. There was a husband of Dottie's that was given a polygraph concerning the death of Elsie, he passed. Dottie refused to take it. The attorney has no real physical evidence to go on right now. The detectives feel it in their bones that Dottie did it, but no one can prove it. At this time she is out on parole and said to be living in the house on John Charles Road. If anyone out there can confirm this, I would appreciate it very much. If you have questions or comments let me know. I will answer as best as I can. Thank you.


  11. #11

    Dottie Champlin

    Quote Originally Posted by scooby2057 View Post
    The link shown in the first post is dead. This link is still active:
    http://azdailysun.com/news/local/art...22800f550.html

    After reading the media release that carl posted I checked the Sheriffs website and was surprised to see that this case is not listed as one of their cold cases. Does anyone know if the daughter was ever charged? I don't see much out there on this.
    Dottie Champlin has not been charged and she is living in home on John Charles Dr, in Ash Fork, Az

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazama View Post
    How sad that the woman wasn't reported missing by anyone.

    Obviously her own daughter didn't care. She's serving time for theft. I wonder if perhaps the daughter did the dirty deed and collected moms Social Security checks?

    Rest in peace Elsie Cantrell.

    Maz

    I am married to Elsie's Grandson Larry. His mother is Dottie Champlin and we as a family found out in May 2009 that Elsie was indeed deceased. Soon after that Dottie skipped town. In our hearts we know that she did indeed commit murder on Elsie Cantrell. The detectives do not have the hard evidence to connect her to the murder. They did however find proof that she indeed was receiving a social security check that was for Elsie. We are saddened at the loss of Elsie and angry with Dottie because of her actions. We pray that there will be justice for Elsie. The family agrees that Dottie is the only one with opportunity and motive and weapons. Thank you all for watching the Elsie Cantrell thread.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,795
    Praying for justice for Elsie. What a burden you all must carry.......



Similar Threads

  1. FL - Ocala, human remains found buried in yard, May'14
    By Jacie Estes in forum The Unidentified
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-28-2014, 11:13 PM
  2. AL - Man fights to keep wife buried in front yard
    By wfgodot in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 03:16 AM
  3. Identified! GA - Coweta Co., Human remains found buried, Apr'11 - Ann Margaret Berry
    By CarlK90245 in forum Identified!
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 09:43 AM
  4. Identified! AZ - Coconino County, Human remains found, Nov'11 - James Waibel
    By Wanting2Help in forum Identified!
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-13-2011, 08:35 AM

Tags for this Thread