562 users online (69 members and 493 guests)  

Websleuths News

TX - Son Hugs Mom, Then Stabs Her, Grapevine

Among other things, reading this just made me feel incredibly sad for those involved. I don't know what else to say.

GRAPEVINE, Texas -- Police say a 15-year-old Texas boy stabbed his mother in the back with a 6-inch kitchen knife while pretending to hug her after an argument.

How awful
    Unwritten--I'm undefined... I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned..."

How horrible! I'm glad this woman will be ok but her heart must be broken now.

Years ago in the town I lived in a mother was stabbed to death by her grown son who was mentally unbalanced. She was able to get to a neighbors door before she died.

Boyfriends and girlfriends are not Babysitters.
    Just because you want to be with somebody does not mean they will take care of your children.

State of Disbelief. SC
    Wow! Thank God she had her wits about her and locked herself in her bedroom. It will be interesting to see what comes out about this boys history.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

As a family member with direct knowledge of this situation, now that things have calmed down a bit, it’s interesting to see that something about this was posted here on WS at the time it occurred. I’d like to thank everyone for keeping their comments appropriate and not speculating or jumping to conclusions. This stands in sharp contrast to numerous ignorant, hurtful, and just plain uncalled-for comments that others in our family have had the misfortune to encounter on other news sites and crime blogs.

As you might imagine, it’s been rough going in the weeks and months since these events unfolded. Ours has always been a close-knit, stable, normal family. We were all completely shocked and stunned when this happened. Mom and son had a good relationship, and the son had no previous history of violence. However, as with many kids of his age, he and his friends had begun using illegal drugs.

The stabbing occurred the morning after mom confronted son over his drug use, and he was likely under the influence at the time. No one else was at home when it happened. Afterward, the son drove off in her car, parked at a church and made an attempt on his own life. Mom’s quick thinking and ability to get away to prevent further harm to herself, along with an alert parishioner who happened to be paying a visit to his minister that weekday morning, probably saved both of their lives, and for that we’re all thankful. The son has said he has no memory of what happened. The legal proceedings now concluded, he is receiving the appropriate interventions and living in another state. Mom is also in therapy and doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances.

That terrible day changed everything for all of us close to the situation. We remain heartbroken, but still hopeful for a positive outcome in the long run. Only time will tell.

It’s scary how something like this can happen even in the strongest of families. Many people these days don’t seem to take teenage drug use all that seriously. A lot of people minimize it as mere “experimentation,” but the reality is, none of us knows which kids who engage in this will eventually give it up and turn in a more positive direction, and which ones will start down the dangerous and ruinous path of addiction.

The anti-drug commercials emphasize “talking” with our kids about drugs. That’s well and good, but in my opinion, it’s not nearly enough. Parents need to educate themselves about the most prevalent drugs and signs of their abuse, establish appropriate limits and boundaries, know their kids’ friends, understand what kinds of actions may inadvertently enable the drug use, have the courage not to shield their kids from the natural consequences of their actions, know when to get help for their kids & themselves, and develop effective strategies for dealing with the situation if the drug use continues in spite of treatment and other interventions.

Addiction truly affects not only the drug user, but the rest of the family as well. This situation is just one more sad example of that.
    Last edited by TXredhead178; 07-15-2010 at 09:18 PM.

I'm happy for the family/friends and young man that the situation is only getting better. Sometimes, that's all you can ask for. Hitting rock bottom is sometimes a drug users only chance to find the way back up.

Quote Originally Posted by TXredhead178 View Post

Itís scary how something like this can happen even in the strongest of families.

Addiction truly affects not only the drug user, but the rest of the family as well. This situation is just one more sad example of that.
    Txredhead, you're so right. So, so right. This can happen to anyone in anyone's family. People are ignorant to that.

It certainly does effect entire families.

My prayers going up for this young man and especially his mom. I can't imagine her pain. It's good to hear they are both getting the right help. Thank you for sharing with us what has had to be a very difficult situation for your entire family.

Charlotte, North Carolina
    Txredhead, Thank you so much for your post. All to often we here at websleuths only see what the papers want us to see. To have someone close to the situation comment is a wonderful thing. I agree with you on the drug usage of teens and how dangerous it has gotten. I will be praying that mother, son, and anyone affected by this horrible situation receives all the help they can get. I'll be keeping the whole family in my prayers.
    Find Brian Shaffer!!

Janet Christiansen, Kaiden, and Family, justice WILL prevail!

~*Cancel my subscription, I'm THROUGH with your issues*~