IL - Belleville HS student beaten mercilessly on school bus, 2009

MarleneM

Inactive
Reaction score
White student beaten mercilessly by black students, police say no racial motivation

On Monday morning, a 17-year-old student on a school bus in Belleville, MO was savagely beaten while others looked on and cheered. The boy who was beaten is white and his attackers are black.

The assault was captured on videotape by the bus’ camera.

The beating appeared to be completely unprovoked.

The video shows the victim trying to find a place to sit, and being told that he could not sit down, then someone shouted “Beat his *advertiser censored*.”

After he found another seat, his attackers began trying to push him onto the floor, another one grabbed his neck and began punching him in the face.

With every blow landed, the mob yelled "Boom, boom, boom."

Initially, it appeared that Belleville Police Capt. Don Sax was ready to classify the attack as a hate crime.

Later Sax told reporters: “It was premature on my part. It was my personal and emotional comment after only seeing the video briefly.”

http://www.examiner.com/x-5919-Norfolk-Crime-Examiner~y2009m9d15-White-student-beaten-mercilessly-by-black-students-police-say-no-racial-motivation

What are we coming to as a society when kids on their way in to a new school year of education so violently assault a fellow classmate for fun? My sons ride a bus into school, and I don't even care about the racial arguments of this article, it's the lack of human respect here that shocks the he77 out of me. I can't even put my kids on a school bus without worrying if they could be violently attacked or killed for no reason. The other kids cheered for God's sake!

Hate crime classifications are a joke as they don't go both ways.

This is just human indecency. Animals in a pack. That's why we don't let teenagers make important decisions, they lack the capability to think outside the pack - usually that is.

*Reporter’s note: After watching the video, it is hard to imagine what more would had to have happened to that young man, for police to actually classify the attack as a hate crime.

More than likely, after making an honest and obvious determination, Capt. Sax was told by his bosses to change his mind, and restate the status quo.

Have we become so affected by political correctness that we now only recognize hatred and racism when it is committed by white criminals?
http://www.examiner.com/x-5919-Norf...lack-students-police-say-no-racial-motivation

I couldn't agree more with the reporter! If this wasn't a racially motivated attack, what the he!! was it? Pure savagery? It sickens me that when referring to the president one is chastised for stating the truth that "racism is alive and well in America." Then this kid is attacked on a school bus by a group outside his race and "it's not racially motivated." What is it...someone tell me please, what is the politically correct term for what happened to this young man?
I'm just about convinced...we ( our Nation) are indeed going straight to he!! in a hand basket!

Reminds me of my days riding to jr. high school on the bus. It was packed and every time I would go to sit somewhere the other person sitting there would say "you can't sit here". These were mostly white kids on the bus. I was targeted because I was shy and timid. Some kids are just plain mean and enjoy taunting or torturing another. Bullies.

I saw the video of this incident and it brings me to tears. Especially because no one is coming to this boy's aid. I think I saw on the news that one student did finally step in and stop the attack. Most of the faces were blurred in the video but it did appear that this white boy was the minority on that bus. I don't understand how they classify hate crimes. Is it only when a minority is attacked? Does the person that attacks have to use some racial slur? Maybe they should just get rid of the classification all together.

I don't need LE to tell me this isn't a hate crime to see it. This young man was constantly refused seating by others on that bus. When he finally stood up for himself he was attacked. My understanding is that he was attacked because he moved another students book bag so he could sit down.

So.. here we have this recent story where police say possibly racially motivated.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/20940073/detail.html

MORROW, Ga. -- The FBI is investigating the beating of an African-American woman by a white man at a Cracker Barrel restaurant as a possible hate crime.

Morrow police said they arrested Troy Dale West, of Poulan, Ga. after he attacked Tasha Hill after she asked him to "be careful" at a Cracker Barrel restaurant.

And the we have this one. Where a young white man trying to get to school is beaten and they're trying to tell us it's not a hate crime. Try as you might LE, you can't pull the wool over everyone's eyes. This was pure hate for this white child. I don't care what you try to spoon feed me. Imagine if Rosa Parks had been beaten when she refused to go to the back of the bus. I know different time, but I believe it's applicable.

ETA: Stories like this break my heart. As a mother to biracial children I worry for them. I worry about how their peers view and treat them as human beings. I do my best to teach my children that all people are the same. Deserving of our respect regardless of their skin color or religious beliefs.

If it's not hate and it's not racially motivated, can someone please tell me what category of crime this savage attack falls under? :furious:

It is hate, and it was racially motivated. Belleville, IL (not MO as mentioned in one article linked) has a history of race issues, being on 60 minutes in the early 90's to expose the "crime" of driving while black, a lawsuit over hiring in the City, they hired no minorities till the suit forced them, there are housing issues on rental property that are targeting blacks - white code violators are ignored, blacks not. It is kind of a reverse to have it being black on white, but, the mayor and city are SCARED of the RACE word.

What I personally want to know is why the bus driver didn't have police meet the bus, before getting to the school. As I understand it (and you have to realize that this school is located a ways from the main part of town) she/he drove a while with the fight going on.

Another example of a Hate Crime that was reclassified are the rape, torture and murder of a young white couple, google the Christian and Newsom murders. I warn you, the graphic description of what was done to these two young people by four black people will stay with you forever.

From what I understand (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the bus driver has been relieved of her duties or at least on suspension. Probably for that very reason.

When there is a camera on the bus, is the driver able to see (like a monitor system) what is going on in the bus? I know the bus driver has to have all eyes on the road, but if all hell breaks loose on the bus, can he/she see it as it's unfolding?

If violence like this is a problem, why isn't there a "co-pilot" on the bus? (Sincere question.) If there isn't a "co-pilot", should bus drivers have tasers or other tools to break up this sort of thing?

I seen the video and it seems the boy did not fight back. I wonder if that is because of the school rule (here anyway) not matter wether you throw the first punch or not you are punished if you fight. Students who are in extra curricular activites will be taken out for fighting. I find this rule to be unfair. My children have been taught to take up for themselves. Not to be bulllies but to take up for themselves. My son had a problem with a child this year telling another child to kick him (teacher knew about it and did nothing) my husband told him the next time he does that you kick the kid who told him that. He did and it remedy the situation.

I also see this as a hate crime. Had it been the other way around Quanell X would've been there in a heart beat!!

If it's not hate and it's not racially motivated, can someone please tell me what category of crime this savage attack falls under? :furious:

IMO, it IS a HATE crime and 100% racially motivated. The difference, so far, between this and the Cracker Barrel beating is that, the that brutally beat the woman (in front of her own daughter) was spewing derogatory racial remarks with every punch and kick.

I hope this boy will be okay. And I hope race relations will improve in his area. Though I truly don't hold out much hope for that. Jeez.

The incident didn't look like it happened too far away from the bus driver. In my opinion it looked like it was further up than half way. She had to have known what was going on. I don't care if I were in heavy traffic, I'd either pull over or stop right then and there in the lane and try to take care of the situation. I mentioned being taunting on my jr. high school bus and the bus driver was one of the worst tormentors. I just don't think this bus driver cared.

I did see one kid on the school bus say he didn't get involved in helping the boy because he knew if he threw a punch then he would be suspended. I know when my daughter was in high school if someone assaulted another student, if the victim used self-defense or fought back, they were suspended too.

My son was suspended for breaking up a fight. He never threw a punch, just made the one boy stop beating the other one who was prone on the ground.

The bus driver in this case should be fired and the kids who attacked the boy should face expulsion. All violent crime is hate crime IMO. What difference should it make why the victim was singled out?

.........All violent crime is hate crime IMO. What difference should it make why the victim was singled out?

I agree with this. Hate crime legislation is so very very ridiculous, IMHO.

FWIW, it seems to me that this attack was motivated more by testosterone than skin color.

I hope this isn't Jena 6 redux.

Aren't ALL crimes of violence HATE crimes?

JMHO

The incident didn't look like it happened too far away from the bus driver. In my opinion it looked like it was further up than half way. She had to have known what was going on. I don't care if I were in heavy traffic, I'd either pull over or stop right then and there in the lane and try to take care of the situation. I mentioned being taunting on my jr. high school bus and the bus driver was one of the worst tormentors. I just don't think this bus driver cared.

I did see one kid on the school bus say he didn't get involved in helping the boy because he knew if he threw a punch then he would be suspended. I know when my daughter was in high school if someone assaulted another student, if the victim used self-defense or fought back, they were suspended too.

that is such bullcarp! i can't see how defending yourself gets you suspended! i was in a fight in high school (i was jumped by two girls because i wouldn't let them cut in line) and they tried to pull that with me. it was bad, there ended up being blood all over the cafeteria and everything. my dad went down there and i wasn't in the room, but let's just say when he came out of the principal's office, i wasn't in trouble anymore. what the heck are kids that are getting beat up supposed to do, just sit there and take it? that's crazy....

i think there is a double standard when it comes to hate crime...and besides, i don't even think there should be the classification. i think if you do something like that to someone, they should ALL be considered hateful!

ETA: i will ALWAYS tell my children they have the right to defend themselves!

I agree with this. Hate crime legislation is so very very ridiculous, IMHO.

FWIW, it seems to me that this attack was motivated more by testosterone than skin color.

Of course, hate crime laws are ridiculous in theory. But violent crimes don't take place in theory, they take place in the real world where the race, religion, gender and/or sexuality of attacker and victim SHOULDN'T matter, but all too often DO. And hate crime legislation is an attempt to rectify injustice in areas where crimes motivated by prejudice have traditionally been under-reported, under-investigated and under-prosecuted.

Such laws are ridiculous, but until we create a theoretically perfect world, they are better than nothing. And a successful prosecution requires proof beyond reasonable doubt that the attack was motivated by a form of bigotry targetted by the law. It isn't enough that the attacker or victim just belong to different groups.

In this case, I have no idea how posters can state categorically that the beating was a hate crime just by watching that video.

I think the poor racial history of the area has a lot to do with the school's attitude in trying to minimize things. East St Louis which I understand is nearby, had one of the worst race riots in US history about 80+ years ago. It's still a hotbed of ill feelings not far from the surface. Probably they are trying to avoid having Al Sharpton leading a march to the school to protest 'unjust punishment' for these kids.
I hope these kids do get some discipline and more than that, some help. I also hope the victim gets help as well, he's going to carry some scars from this.

What posters - myself included - are saying is that because the victim was a white male there will be no prosecution as a hate crime even if it the attack was motivated by hate. If the races were reversed and all other facts remained the same, it could very well be prosecuted that way.

All crimes are hate crimes.

It is interesting to contemplate however whether or not there is a reluctance to use the same yardstick to measure assaults on white males vs assaults on non whites if the circumstances mirror one another.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielle79903
Back