704 users online (93 members and 611 guests)  

Websleuths News

Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary dead at 72

Mary Travers, who as one-third of the hugely popular 1960s folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary helped popularize such tunes as "Puff (The Magic Dragon)" and "If I Had a Hammer," died in a Connecticut hospital Wednesday after battling leukemia for several years. She was 72.
    The band's publicist, Heather Lylis, said Travers died at Danbury Hospital.
    Bandmate Peter Yarrow said that in her final months, Travers handled her declining health with bravery and generosity, showing her love to friends and family "with great dignity and without restraint."
    "It was, as Mary always was, honest and completely authentic," he said. "That's the way she sang, too; honestly and with complete authenticity."

My sister ALWAYS made fun of me for singing "Leaving on a Jet Plane."
    RIP Mary
    "I am confident that, in the end, common sense and justice will prevail. I'm an optimist, brought up on the belief that if you wait to the end of the story, you get to see the good people live happily ever after."

wonders is offline My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are mine and mine alone.
    Dolly,

Thank you. This is sad news indeed. I always loved Leaving on a jet plane too and still sing along with it when it comes on the oldies station, when no one is around tho.
    A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty....

I am so very sad to hear she has passed. Peter, Paul and Mary were a part of my childhood I loved so very much and I have had the joy of sharing with my daughter. My thoughts and well wishes go to her friends and family. She will be missed.

May she Rest in Peace. I read about her battle.

My thoughts go out to her family and friends.

I loved the song "Leaving on a Jet Plane too."

Gozgals

oh no!! i use to love them, especially their christmas show. RIP Mary
    we need to encourage harder sentencing on those that are harming our children. our children are worth it!!

stop the circus!! these children as all children deserve to be found and justice brought forth for what has happened to them!!

I heard about her passing last night on the radio. So sad. In the 80's I got to see them in concert. It was one of the best shows I've seen, everyone was singing with them and we all knew all the words! Rest in peace, Mary.

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Eventhough I am still in my 20's I have been listening to Peter, Paul and Mary since I was a teenager. Leaving on a Jet Plane is a great song. They had so many great songs.

RIP Mary.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

So sad, so sad

I loved them. Saw them first in college and then a couple of times in later years. On down long winter days in early marriage with babies, my favorite was her singing, "Wish I were a single girl again".........one line....rock that cradle and cry. I have lots of their CDs....................I probably missed it,,,but her passing was just a trailer on the portion of the morning show (ABC) I got to see this morning....I hope they did more....she deserved it.

Peter Paul and Mary, was the first concert I had ever seen, way back
    in the sixties, at McCormack Place in Chicago.

So sad that she passed, what a great talent.

Rest in Peace

Sweet Sandra Cantu

When my kids were born, I bought Peter ,Paul & Mommy. (Peter, Paul and Mary singing for kids) So many fun songs for kids, and my husand and i didn't go crazy listening to it over and over. I still play it in my daycare, and i did today as a little personal thanks for the music.

I love their music and she had a lovely voice. RIP Mary. Damn, we are losing too many too often lately.

We had a Peter, Paul, and Mary album in our house when I was growing up. It was the 3 of them standing in front of some type of podium(?). I'm going to look that album up on ebay. My brothers and sisters and I use to listen to that album alot.
    Was Mary married to either Peter or Paul?

edit: looked it up on ebay, it was the Moving album and it's a suitcase not a podium Mary is leaning on!
    Last edited by drew; 09-18-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Peace be with you Mary. I liked Peter, Paul and Mary's music.

You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.

My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.

Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.

http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    We had a Peter, Paul, and Mary album in our house when I was growing up. It was the 3 of them standing in front of some type of podium(?). I'm going to look that album up on ebay. My brothers and sisters and I use to listen to that album alot.
    Was Mary married to either Peter or Paul?

edit: looked it up on ebay, it was the Moving album and it's a suitcase not a podium Mary is leaning on!
    She was actually married 4 times but none of those times were to Peter or Paul.....But a bit of trivia. When Peter was going to get married Paul wrote him "The Wedding Song ( There is Love )" as a Wedding Gift. It is probably the most played song at weddings to date, and so beautiful!! I cry every time I watch this video. I think Mary was very blessed to be loved by Peter and Paul for so many years in a sort of "marriage" partnership!

Last edited by KateB; 06-07-2015 at 07:51 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    "I am confident that, in the end, common sense and justice will prevail. I'm an optimist, brought up on the belief that if you wait to the end of the story, you get to see the good people live happily ever after."

DollyPardonMe,
    Thanks for that trivia. I didn't realize that was a PPM song. I've bawled my eyes out at many a wedding to that song!